The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Digital Edition of the February Issue of Genii Now Live Online For Subscribers! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2506 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The digital version of the February issue of Genii is now online for computer viewing. It will take another day for iPad and iPhone users. Remember that the digital version of Genii is free for all subscribers, and all 75 years of back issues are free online as well.

We have lots of audio and video this month:
Audio columns from Max Maven and Jon Racherbaumer
Video from me, a great Coin Assembly by Yuji Wada, Dani DaOrtiz supplements his column with video, and there are a lot of video clips of performance and magic in our cover story on MagoMigue (Miguel Puga), a twice FISM-winning Spanish magician whose work is about to become much more widely known in the United States with the appearance of a four-DVD set from Luis de Matos’s Essential Magic Collection. Titled Allegro, the set covers a good deal of his repertoire, including several full acts—among them those he performed at FISM—with explanations. It’s not all close-up, either—there’s quite a bit of stand-up magic included. He’s phenomenally good and the tricks are mind-blowing. You’ll find a free DVD in this issue courtesy of Essential Magic and Luis, which contains the following items by MagoMigue: “Card And Glass” performed and explained. The effect and method are great. One card is inside a glass that’s isolated on stage. A spectator calls out a card. No sleights, total freedom. The card happens to be the one freely named by the spectator. A classic plot with a guaranteed method that you can use minutes later in front of an audience; “Cards Across”; and a performance only of MagoMigue’s incredible “Bill in Lemon.” All for you, for free! (For those reading the digital edition, the videos will be embedded in the article.)

Some months after FISM in July 2012, I sat down with ex-FISM president Eric Eswin for a look back at the 12 years of his term as President, the many changes he implemented, and his feelings about what happened in Blackpool last July. Eric brought FISM forward into the 21st century in vital ways and, despite the farrago in Blackpool, FISM’s next outing in Italy in 2015 looks to be a winner in the capable hands of convention producer Walter Rolfo.

Adelaide Herrmann’s fame has receded over the years into the shadow of her husband. Alexander Herrmann was the first great stage magician/theater celebrity in the United States, and while Adelaide performed as well as assisted him, that’s been forgotten by many. Also forgotten was her autobiography, which remained unpublished until recently when Margret Steele brought it out through bramblebooks.com (where it is available for sale in both a hardcover, color limited edition and a black and white paperback). This month we excerpt several anecdotes from one of history’s simultaneously most famous and forgotten female magicians.

We welcome a new columnist this issue, attorney Sara Crasson, who will be presenting a four-part series on magic, intellectual property, and the law. I’ve known Sara for many years through magic and she is able to bring a bracing clarity to the current state of affairs about how the law does and does not protect magic in various forms. 1,000 words on the topic tells you next to nothing: that’s why we’re bringing you a full legal paper on the subject. You’ll find it interesting if you’re contemplating whether to make a dub of that new instant download for a friend.

The “other month” returning columnists debut their new contributions for 2013 … Dani DaOrtiz (“ala Carte!”) explains a really good version of a Hofzinser effect, “A Suit Freely Though Of”; Roberto Giobbi continues his long-running and popular “Genii Session” with a provocative essay on what he feels are “The Ten Best Card Tricks Ever”; David Kaye delivers “The Expert at the Kids’ Table,” wherein an alien presence visits our planet and discovers he doesn’t know squat about performing for humans; David Britland teaches a completely self-working miracle inspired by Bob Ostin that’s “Straight to the Point” in “Cardopolis”; John Gaughan meets Winged Victory and catches a card in “Chamber of Secrets”; Jon Racherbaumer will no doubt write something interesting in “On the Slant” (I haven’t seen it yet); and trundling in at the tail end is “Light from the Lamp” with books reviewed by Eric Mead, tricks by David Oliver, and videos by Joe M. Turner.
J.CADEAC
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
67 Posts

Profile of J.CADEAC
I started my reading of this issue..
But as far as I'm concerned, as a HUGE HUGE fan of both of them, the highlight of the month is your announcement of your Michael Skinner / Allen Okawa project !

I'll let the readers listen by themselves, but...sincerely thank you for that.
"You must either modify your dreams or magnify your skills".
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Got my print edition today...great content as usual!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Digital Edition of the February Issue of Genii Now Live Online For Subscribers! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL