The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 11:51, Franky33 wrote:
I was reading through the thread and was thinking this will be great to have until I got to the post saying it will cost $300-$400. Am I the only one taken aback by this price? What will the standard version cost?

It is a fair bit of money but not out of line compared to what other limited edition volumes have gone for in the past, particularly given the extras Richard is including. Seeing what some individual Tenyo tricks sell for now makes it seem like a decent deal!

John
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Frank,

Dr. Robert Albo books on Classic Magic would be a comparable to what this deluxe edition will be imo. Not sure what price point the standard editions will run, but I can't imagine them being inexpensive. This is a major project to complete from start to finish and I for one would like to see something at the end of the rainbow for the one who takes this kind of job on. I wish Dr. Albo's books were offered in a basic edition, since they are so hard to come by. This way the books could be enjoyed by the many who would appreciate the content that his series contained. When you can find one of his books, they will set you back a lot of coin, but they are really special. What Richard is undertaking with Tenyo will be something to treasure, and I will not miss out on it. It's also great that a standard edition will be offered so it's not so exclusive. We will all just have to see what unfolds.

CHRIS
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1483 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
I think the price is fine considering you are also getting autographs of the majority/all Tenyo creators plus exclusive trick inserts. It will no doubt be the book of the year.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Richard:

How about adding a "Friends of Tenyo" page where the names of the Tenyo fans would be printed that commited to the Deluxe Volume in advance? Might be another nice way to encourage an early commitment.

John
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I think it may be a fair bit of money but I think the real question is: Is it worth it? In my opinion, it is. I think that Tenyo produces some incredible items and I would think that a book like this would be a great addition to any Tenyo collector. However, some people won't agree and that's fine as well. I guess those of us on this forum should be grateful that there aren't more Tenyo collectors out there or the prices of the tricks on e-bay, et al. might really go through the roof.

Just my 3 cents worth,

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Franky33
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Franky33
Guys thanks for the info. I guess if you are collecting magic books or Tenyo the amount seems small but to me it is still a lot. Richard Kaufman wrote that the deluxe book is usually double what the standard one costs so I think even the standard book at $150-$200 is too much for me. I am sure it will be a good book though.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
It is a sizable amount of dough, no doubt. But, considering the time and expenses that is invested in such an endeavor, the ever-increasing cost of printing (due to the decreased demand), and the very, very, small audience this book will attract, I think the price is fair. And, you can bet that no one is getting rich off of this.

I know this sounds silly, but this book is still months away from being printed. Start saving now, even a dollar a day, and you'll be set.

Richard, I have no idea on how you are assembling and producing this tome regarding the re-tasking of the art, but is there any chance that on-down-the-road you may offer a digital version? Even a PDF that people can use as a reference?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The regular edition will, as of this early moment, likely cost $150. It might rise to $200.

Since deluxe editions cost double the regular edition (this has been my pricing plan since the mid 1980s when I produced my first deluxe edition), that is why I stated the deluxe edition of the Tenyo book will cost $300 to $400. For a true Tenyo fan, having a copy of the book that has been signed by ALL the major Tenyo creators should in my estimation be worth the money. This is something that, even if you lived in Japan, would be impossible for you to accomplish. Plus, slipcases cost a *** fortune. Plus I have to buy one prop, and have a second manufactured, for the deluxe edition.

To compare, my book on David Beglas, "The Berglas Effects" was also about 400 pages, and came with 3 DVDs, and cost $125 (original price). It was in black and white, however. The Tenyo book will be all color and cost me many times more to print. The deluxe Berglas, long sold out, cost $250.

I have no plans to do an ebook or make a pdf file of the book available at this time. The problem with ebooks at the moment is that they cannot incorporate a lot of video--takes too much space. In order for an ebook of the Tenyo book to make sense, any videos regarding each trick should be accessible on the page about that trick--kind of like what I do with the digital edition of Genii each month. It's not possible to do that now.

Considering the number of emails I have already received, it's fairly certain that the deluxe edition (somewhere between 60 and 75 copies--the exact number depends upon spoilage during the book-making process) will be sold out long before the books are ready for shipping. Each book will be numbered.

This new Tenyo book is NOT merely a catalogue of what Tenyo has produced. The results of my interviews have exceeded my wildest hopes: stories behind the creation of most items, additional handlings (previously unpublished), both photographs and videos of prototypes--both those that made it to market and those that didn't. And there will be full descriptions of dozens of tricks by the Tenyo creative team that have never been manufactured, but which you can make and perform.

I have 32 hours of audio interviews from my trip, plus hours of video and hundreds of photographs. You will see many many pages of early Tenyo catalogues reproduced that show things you've always been curious about.

Plus I will show many Tenyo items that have never been seen in the United States (including many which have eluded my friend Stereo, whose blog has been extremely helpful in the early stages of my work). Stereo: you should know that Hiroshi Kondo reads your blog. Smile

Anyway, yes, it's an expensive book for an extremely small market. But it's also a hell of a lot of work and even though I love Tenyo and am enjoying the project immensely, I feel it's not unreasonable to get paid for my work. My expense for this project are very high. A plane ticket to Japan from the east coast coasts $2000, plus my hotel and additional transportation. And this book will require THREE trips to Japan to complete.

I hope this has answered your questions. If you wish to be placed on the list for a deluxe copy, email me at moobooks@verizon.net to reserve your copy. You won't have to pay until about a month before the books are ready.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Needless to say I ordered my Deluxe edition too Smile It's quite a bit of money of course, but I believe we'll never see a book like this again in the future!
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 20:30, Wizard of Oz wrote:
It is a sizable amount of dough, no doubt. But, considering the time and expenses that is invested in such an endeavor, the ever-increasing cost of printing (due to the decreased demand), and the very, very, small audience this book will attract, I think the price is fair. And, you can bet that no one is getting rich off of this.

I know this sounds silly, but this book is still months away from being printed. Start saving now, even a dollar a day, and you'll be set.

Richard, I have no idea on how you are assembling and producing this tome regarding the re-tasking of the art, but is there any chance that on-down-the-road you may offer a digital version? Even a PDF that people can use as a reference?

The book appeals to a much larger audience than you think. Many people are interested in Tenyo, both magician and non-magician alike. I think it's fair to say this will be one of Richard's more popular and in-demand books.

Can't wait, it's going to be epic.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 11:51, Franky33 wrote:
I was reading through the thread and was thinking this will be great to have until I got to the post saying it will cost $300-$400. Am I the only one taken aback by this price? What will the standard version cost?

Considering the near impossible to obtain creator autographs from Japan, the DVD and trick inserts, and the content of the book itself; I for one think the price is fine. Also when you consider some of the absurd prices people pay for Tenyo on eBay, the value proposition becomes crystal clear.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Anyone got access to a Henning Floating Lady??? Richard I believe you still need it for the book?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2013-04-25 06:39, Houdini103126 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-24 20:30, Wizard of Oz wrote:

The book appeals to a much larger audience than you think. Many people are interested in Tenyo, both magician and non-magician alike. I think it's fair to say this will be one of Richard's more popular and in-demand books.

Can't wait, it's going to be epic.

I was speaking in comparison to commodity books, where the audience is in the hundreds of thousands. Magic books in general (except for the beginner books available at commercial retailers) are generally relatively small runs. I agree, this will have a broader appeal than most books on magic, but still a relatively short run I'm sure.

This does beg the question...Richard, are you planning on doing a Japanese edition?
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
Missed it! Sorry!

Quote:
On 2013-04-22 18:03, Houdini103126 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 16:37, NashvilleNewman wrote:
How about getting some / all of the original creators to sign them?

Quote:
On 2013-03-04 01:05, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I'll sign a diaper (or an adult Depends) if it makes you happy. I'm not proud, and anyone who buys an expensive book like this one will be deserves personal service from the author/publisher!

Nashville,

From Richard's post above:

"There will be a deluxe edition with a page signed by a dozen members of the Tenyo creative team, including all the original members (Hideo Kato, Shigeru Sugawara, Hiroshi Kondo, Takuya Yoshizawa, Tomoyuki Shimomura, Tooru Suzuki, and Dr. Sawa)."
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
I sent Stereo photos of mine for his blog...

Quote:
On 2013-04-25 06:47, Houdini103126 wrote:
Anyone got access to a Henning Floating Lady??? Richard I believe you still need it for the book?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
My order is in... can't wait!

John
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Richard, do we get a response or some sort of verification once we placed our order/e-mailed you?
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Those that have been accepted have been contacted... sorry David Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
... that was a joke... Actually I was wondering the same thing.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Richard came to my house in person, taught me the secret Tenyo-Book password and handshake, had a glass of sake with me by the fireplace while showing me photos of his trip to Japan, gave me a souvenir Katana, then left.
Didn't he do that with you guys too?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL