The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
...of course... we also had some killer sushi....
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
Quote:
On 2013-04-27 15:06, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Richard came to my house in person, taught me the secret Tenyo-Book password and handshake, had a glass of sake with me by the fireplace while showing me photos of his trip to Japan, gave me a souvenir Katana, then left.
Didn't he do that with you guys too?

Ummmmmmm, no.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I've been busy with some personal matters, as well as the Collector's Convention here in Washington DC during the past few days.

I will indeed send a return email to each person who has emailed me to reserve a copy of the deluxe edition. Might take me a few weeks, so keep your shirts on.
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Added my name to list for the collector's edition. Thanks!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

The deluxe editions are all spoken for.

Because of this, and to ensure that the people who have actually asked to be on the list won't poop out at the last moment, I'm going to ask people to pay much sooner than normal.

I will be in touch with each of you individually.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
My guess is that a number of peopel on the list may opt out once payment is actually requested... I for one am happy to pay now as I like the assurance of knowing it is more "real" that way.

Thanks
macmac
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of macmac
How many copies of the deluxe editions will there be? So looking forward to the book!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

While I have 70 signature pages, about 15 of the deluxe copies have been promised to the Tenyo creators themselves who signed the pages.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
This will definitely be a treasured Tenyo collectible!
Gzero
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Gzero
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 13:00, Richard Kaufman wrote:
While I have 70 signature pages, about 15 of the deluxe copies have been promised to the Tenyo creators themselves who signed the pages.
So...55 copies of the deluxe edition. It will be a big battle to have one of these!!!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Normally it wouldn't be an issue to just increase the number of copies of the deluxe edition in relation to demand, but getting all those guys to sign more pages doesn't seem likely because they live in different places and four of them are retired and had to travel for our interviews and page signing.

When I counted out the number of pages to bring with me for signing, I underestimated the demand! Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
...good for the lucky ones that have signed up for one... not so good for Richard.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
As a last chance solution, You can simply put all the blank pages in an protected envelope and ship it to the first creator and when it's done and signed, the package get back to you by air mail. And you continue with the second one.
It can be simple and easy, and cost less than an airplane ticket for Japan.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

It's not so easy to organize sending an envelope full of pages to 5 locations. It's asking a lot, and at any step along the way, the pages could get lost.

I've already got 10 people on the waiting list in case anyone poops out and doesn't pay when the time comes. That number will increase because I keep receiving emails from people who are just now seeing the notice about the deluxe edition.

I hate putting out deluxe editions of books that I know are going to increase in value the moment they leave my hands. It's frustrating. Gaffed to the Hilt was like that. I sold them for $125, there were just over 100 copies, and they were going for $500 within a few months. When you work very hard on a unique project, it's disheartening to see other folks just buying your product as speculative units in which to invest.
Gzero
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Gzero
It's the same thing that happens with rare Tenyo ones... Rich guys buy them to resell them few months or years later.
They are not magician, just businessman! Really sad.
Franky33
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Franky33
Richard Kaufman,

You could forgo including the autographed pages and up the number of the deluxe version. It sound like you can easily sell 100+ deluxe copies. You can use the autographed pages for another project or just not use them. I would guess that they did not cost you any money. This way, if you meet the demand there will not be an immediate windfall for speculators and mostly the real enthusiast will receive them. I would think that magic book collectors and purchasers of your other books would want a deluxe copy too but may not be tuned in as much as the Tenyo folks here are. So maybe even 150 copies is not out of sight but you would know better. Of course the first 55 people on the list will not appreciate this. It looks like you have yourself in a predicament and no matter what you do, not everyone will be happy. Oh and don't forget you have to write the book first and there is quite a bit of photography to be done of the many tricks. I guess you got your cart in front of your horse.

The idea mentioned above about sending the pages around via DHL or something like that can work but after each destination, they can be sent to the next and not back to you. This will minimize the number of trips. I think it would work out if you use a good courier and set-up an account for this.

GOOD LUCK!
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
You could always inscribe the buyers name in the book. This should be a cherished collectible and not a speculative item.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Please do not eliminate the autographs Richard, those truly make this a special piece. Increase the price if needed but don't compromise your vision on this special edition.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Another option would be to have the Deluxe edition with signatures and another "Special" edition with extras but no signature. Increasing the price of an already very expensive book should be the last choice. I still think you could kill the resale value somewhat by inscribing the original buyers name in the book. These special editions should not be intended to those who will eBay it the next day. I have my Deluxe Berglas Effects and have no intention of selling it as it means a lot to me.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I doubt there are many non collectors scouring the Tenyo board on the Magic Café hunting for investment opportunities.
In other words the mass majority will go to collectors. Yes, a few will pop up on eBay but so be it.

The book needs to be priced to cover Richards time and expenses and allow him to profit. Then the rest is what it is. If you get caught up worrying
about the other stuff nothing would ever get done.

It sounds like an incredible project and I'd hate to see it compromised because of what a small fraction of owners may or may not do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL