The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding coin_cleaning out hardened rubber band (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I've got a folding coin that the rubber band has perished in, leaving hardened rubber inside its groove. I've tried scraping it out and it will take a lot of work to clean the groove out. So how else can I get the rubber 'dissolved' without affecting the coin colour? The coin is a New Zealand $1, basically steel with some golden-coloured plating over top of it.

Also, how do you keep spare rubber bands perishing? With balloons they are best stored in cool dark environment. So my feeling is this would work with the bands as well.
Information, please!
The presentation makes the magic.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7061 Posts

Profile of bowers
Acetone will clean the remaining rubber out magicol.
just soak the coin a few minutes and finish scraping it out.
as far as the bands keep them in a air tight bag in the refrigerator.
that's the way I keep my balloons and they last a long time.
todd
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Be careful what you use to clean the groove. If you use a knife point or paperclip, you can scratch the inside which will cause an abrasive spot that will wear the bands out quicker and it will always break in the same spot. Use a toothpick or some other softer point. Good luck.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Fingernail polish remover is acetone for those that can't find it in the hardware stores.
In some US states and International Countries acetone is illegal. Yet still sold as FNP remover.
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2013-01-17 12:39, Octopus Sun wrote:
Fingernail polish remover is acetone for those that can't find it in the hardware stores.
In some US states and International Countries acetone is illegal. Yet still sold as FNP remover.

Just make sure it says acetone on the ingredients. There are several acetone free versions now.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Dental floss can be very helpful.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
I sometimes use sewing needles when this happens.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2635 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Another vote for dental floss. It may be easier to have someone hold the coin whilst you give it a floss - you can exert more pressure.

Just to add, don't forget to clean the inner fold edges. They will collect a minor film of grime, grease, oil (or whatever it is that collects). The safest way is just scratch down the edges with your thumbnail for a minute or so. Don't be tempted to use even a fine grade sandpaper - it's far too abrasive.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
I think the perfect combination would be to soak it in acetone, then use dental floss to pick the excess remains away. Smile

I will try this the next time this happens to one of my fo***ng quarters or fli**er coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding coin_cleaning out hardened rubber band (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL