The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Serial Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
742 Posts

Profile of dduane
I don't do videos, and this is evident in the not-so-great presentation. However what do you think of my idea for a serial number prediction?

http://youtu.be/w3qCOpEn4mg

Dennis
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Your handling is very awkward looking.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
742 Posts

Profile of dduane
Agree. This was my second attempt at doing a video. In a working environment, I am a lot smoother with it. I think it's a good idea, but I need more practice to make it more natural.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Hmmm if it works for you then it doesn't really matter what I think. I personally think that its too much work just to switch a dollar out. I can accomplish the same thing under the old joke of 'giving you the dollar' and switching it in my pocket. Id rather go for the joke than the technically demanding switch. But like I said, do what works for you, and forget what everyone else thinks.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
742 Posts

Profile of dduane
Appreciate you thoughts. The tipless JP switch is some work, but the rest is easy. I agree that there are easier ways to accomplish the same effect. For me the spectator only sees one bill open all the time, and does not see how the other could have come into play. I keep getting great reactions to this. But I do see your point. Humor is the best way to perform magic IMO. This effect does not always impress, because - believe it or not - many people think that the serial numbers are not unique between bills. I may change the whole thing to a different prediction with a humorous punch...

Thanks,
Dennis
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Another problem is that the switch you did happens at the wrong time. Switches need to be done on the offbeat and before anyone thinks they could have happened. So I am going to give you a switch that you can use that fulfills all these purposes. It switches the dollar before the routine starts. And the spectator from the audience will actually bring the switched in bill onto the stage themselves so that during the actual routine you never have to touch it. A strong point in the minds of the audience.

You memorize a serial number on a dollar and roll it into a small ball. Place the ball in your front right pants pocket. You talk to the audience and ask everyone with a dollar to hold it up while you casually show your hands empty. Pick someone in the the front few rows and have him roll his bill into a ball and throw it at you. While he is doing this you reach into your right pocket and finger palm your dollar in the right hand. He throws his dollar at you and make a point of not catching it. You can say Throw It At Me, (he does and hits you with the dollar) then you say, On The Count Of 3. Let that sink in to the audience, (they will laugh!) calmly reach down and pick up his dollar with your left hand, shuttle pass to the right hand (effectively switching dollars) and then hurl the now switched in dollar at him and say How Does It Feel... (again pause for laughter) Tell him to come onstage and now he brings on the switched in dollar and you never have to touch it again. You did the switch during a joke and people will forget it by the end of the routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Serial Business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL