The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo production run and scarcity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Over the past year I have been bitten by the Tenyo bug and have accumulated quite a bit of the T collection (I try not to keep track of what I spend because it would be too embarrassing).

I have started to ask myself questions about the true availability of these Tenyo items. Most of the items come up for sale every now and then on eBay. Some are new, most are not.

What is the real supply of Tenyo effects? Are there a few Tenyo collectors sitting on crates and crates of unopened Tenyo items?

For example, Ultra Tube can fetch several hundred dollars. How many were made? 1,000? 10,000? How many have survived the trash dump where most of our toys have gone? Is there a warehouse in Japan filled with Ultra Tubes that are slowly entering the market?

Another question I wonder about is how many Tenyo collectors are there really? I know about 40 different amateur (and a few professional) magicians and none of them collect Tenyo. Sure, a lot of them will have a few of the popular Tenyo items and may buy one of the new ones every now and then but they do not consider these commercial effects that are part of their performing repertoire.

So this gets me thinking. Is there a very small community of Tenyo collectors (like those who come on this Tenyo forum) who are essentially bidding for the same items which may or may not be in ample supply with another collector.

Who knows, maybe China Surprise will be the Ultra Tube of today since no one, even Tenyo collectors are buying this. They will all end up in the trash and one day be scarce?

Does any of this make sense to anyone or even really matter? Maybe the fair value of a Tenyo item is what it fetches on eBay.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1040 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Best place for China Surprise is in the trash. Smile
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I have around 200 unique visitors each day on the blog and the number is steadily increasing. Inert tell me that my counter just take the home page visits and not all the pages.
I think collectors are not very numerous, but they are all around the world.
For a second Run production ( after the first release ) must be able to produce at least 2000 new pieces ( not sure if it's 2000 or 4000, I don't remember very well but it's in the magic café Forum, a post from Hideo Kato ) otherwise the trick is discontinued.
Houdini103126
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Houdini103126
I have been inquiring about this for years.

The answer is there is no definitive data on production numbers other than what Stereo mentions. There are a million variables that affect secondary market values too: You have prop and packaging variations, you have US/Japan versions, you have opened and unopened, condition, completeness, how often is the trick seen on the secondary market, shill bidding, etc, etc.

The word "Rare" is so overused regarding Tenyo tricks it's mind numbing. A few are truly rare, the vast majority of hard to find Tenyo tricks are scarce, but not rare. I would say Astro Tube is rare.

The tricks that are discontinued due to production problems or lack of interest are the most difficult to come by.

"The Haunting" is a very dumb trick, but because of problems manufacturing the skeleton, it was discontinued rather quickly. I would still classify it as scarce, certainly not rare.

Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo production run and scarcity (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL