The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » House shoes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
I worked a house party tonight and it hit me....I should get house shoes in a bag, so if the customer wants me to take my shoes off...I can where my house shoes. I know this might seem silly, but when I saw people wearing shoes...they all told me, "its ok..they are my house shoes". My problem is some people might think I just said heck with it and wore my "normal" shoes.

Billy

p.s. I did all walk around close up card magic
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Damian
Billy,

Is that something that's common, where you are? It's not something I ever saw, growing up in the Northeast; but now I live in the Czech Republic and *everyone* takes their shoes off when you go to someone's home. That holds for schools, too; indoor shoes only--everybody wears sandals.

Because I use my shoes in my show, I either bring a pair of "indoor shoes" with me, or just a small sponge. After I arrive, I can give the soles a rinse in the sink, and they're clean.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I did a gig a few years back for an Asian family and was told I had to remove my shoes and leave them at the door. First show I ever did in my socks...felt kinda nice. Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1200 Posts

Profile of imgic
While active duty Air Force I did some work at a Japanese Radar facility. Thry followed the Japanese custom of taking off shoes/boots at entrance and putting on slippers. Americans assigned to the base got a bit creative, including a Sergeant that wore pink fuzzy bunny slippers (a fun look with camouflage uniform).

Instead if carrying "house shoes" you could carry slippers. No chance of being mistaken for wearing outside shoes, and if it fits your character, fuzzy bunny slippers could be incorporated into your act.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Usually, in that environment the floors are wood (sometimes white carpet). I carry a second set of very new looking shows in a bag for just such an occasion.
I tell them I do a lot of moving while performing, and I could slip if I wore socks. "Do you mind if I wear these indoor shoes so I don't fall?" The answer has always been "Please wear them". Besides. sometimes the floor is cold. Also, the hem on my pants lays long so if I'm in socks the pants cuffs break and make the pants look too long.

You usually know when you have to grab the shoe- bag because there are dozens of shoes on the porch however, I'm seeing a new type of wall-unit that works like large mailbox doors. The top pulls=out and the guests can have a cubby for their shoes directly inside the front door. It looks neater then a zillion shoes laying all around the yard because that's where I throw them when I'm trying to roll a cart through the shoe-land-mine. Obviously the cart is for larger performances in the main room.

What no one thinks of is, if I'm rolling a cart inside. You can track a lot of dirt that way. So I get it in the door and wipe the wheels-off with a cloth before I continue.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I've never encountered that before. Interesting !
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
I haven't either for a magic show.i have been
to houses where they did leave their shoes at the door.
but was not asked to take mine off.
todd
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Bowers,
When in Rome....
If I entered a house and everyone was wearing Leis because it was Hawaiian-themed, I would put a few Leis on. Weather I would wear them while performing is a different matter. They would probably get in the way.
The hosts probably assumed their guests would take their shoes off -but- because you weren't in an area where it is customary to do so, the hosts didn't want to appear pushy.

Sometimes, in my area, there is a sign at the door stating, people should remove their shoes. No missed cues, there.

And you can always take a few right shoes from the front door and put them out the back door - then take a few other right shoes from the back door and move them to the front... It's a little trick I like to play, after all, I am a magician.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Living out in the country like I do theres
a good chance if you leave your shoes at the front door.
when you get ready to go they won't be there because the dog
might think you left them for him to have.lol
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » House shoes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL