The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Does anyone know how to make a "lock" for the vanishing candle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I have heard that you can make a lock for the vanishing candle so that you can extend it and lock it into place without using a ring or tape. Is this true? If so, is it difficult?
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I used to have a vanishing candle and with it came a small plastic ring, which kept pressure on the bottom of the candle. When this was pulled off, it was able to c***apse. I'm not sure what you mean by "without using a ring or tape"

Can you elaborate?
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Velcro or a rubber band.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Proving you don't have to hold the candle at it's base doesn't really improve the effect much. If properly handled (holding candle at base and lighting it) it's still just a candle. What happends to that "real candle" next is where the magic happens.

I bring this up without knowing what you're trying to accomplish. But if you think handling the vanishing cane by the middle, as you would a appearing candle, improves anything, I'd differ with you. In fact, I use a "vanishing" candle to do my appearing candle as it can be vanished as well.
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I've tried velcro. It did not work for me!
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
No, this lock doesn't use velcro, or tape, or anything like that. It uses a piece of the candle itself that kind of wraps (I'm guessing?) around the bottom. If any of you have seen Lance Burton do his act with candles, you've probably seen this "lock" in action.

Randy, I'm actually not looking to improve the effect so much as have more flexibility in my routine. For example, one thing that I would like to be able to do is make my vanishing candle appear, but then be able to put the candle in a candle holder so that I can continue using it to light other things in my act. However, the problem is of course that the minute the candle is not in your hands, it will vanish if it does not have a lock or a ring on it. I've thought about trying to get the appearance just right so that I can slip the candle perfectly into the candle holder, but I would be a lot more confident if I knew that the candle wasn't going to accidentally vanish on me if I just slightly misjudged the size.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
The lock that you are referring to is The Challenger Gimmick. It can be found in the Canes & Candles book. This book is full of great information for anyone who uses the canes & candles.

Micheal Leath
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Biff_g--On your candle holder idea, I have used candle holders as well. If the fit is not just right, I will line the inside of the candle holder (where the candle is placed) with either a piece of felt or something similar. I just glue the felt around the inside circumference of the candle holder. I have not yet had an accidental vanish.
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
FranD,Amico
View Profile
New user
Cleveland
9 Posts

Profile of FranD,Amico
Has anyone ever tried a piece magi wax?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I don't know about wax. It sounds like bif_g wants to make the vanishing cane appear first and the wax might restrict it from extending properly. Then there's the problem of removing the wax when you're ready to actually do the vanish.

Actually, I think PremiataForneria's idea is best. Practice the extention over and over until the candle appears the same size each time. Check the fit in the candle holder and modify it to the correct size. I had to do this with my vanishing candles when I changed holders.

There is a product called "candle snuggers" that is made specifically for this purpose and can be found in any candle shop.
Where the magic begins
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
And also check the Fantasio books, as has been mentioned.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Biff,

Just produce an Appearing candle and put it in the candle holder. Lance Burton does not leave the candle out on anything after he produces it. The candle cannot stay burning during your entire act. There is not enough fuel.

I have all the Fantasio books and I did not see such a device. Fantasio suggest cutting off a strip of the base of the candle and wrap it with a rubberband. I don't want to cut my candles.

Several years ago, an unadvertised gimmick was out by Tony Clark, you might e-mail him and see if you can get the gimmick only from him. He sold it with a Fantasio candle at the time.

I think Lance Burton uses was just to hold the candle and flash paper until he wants to vanish it.

I do believe you can get the correct size by practice. If you open the candle the same each time and stop at the same spot each time so it will fit the ring in the holder. This is training til you get the feel or knack so you it fits the base.

This is the same technique you must develope to open a vanishing cane. So why can't you develop the same sense to open the candle?

Bill Smile
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Lance Burton once revealed his big secret to a group of magicians. Smile

He uses a band of elastic, it slides down the candle as he produes it and then it holds it in place until he pulls it off. He shared this with about twenty of us then teen magicians at a magic convention in 1998 after his show.

Hope this helps,
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is the same idea in the Fantasio books. I don't think that is the "REAL WORK" that Lance Burton uses in his stage act.

Remember the flash paper sticks to his finger as it dances around and burns. What is the purpose of the flash paper if not to get rid of something?

Bill Smile
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Burton also told me once that he uses a band of elastic to hold the candles open. The flash paper is nothing more than a way to help cover the vanish. If you see his live show, you'll see the bands of elastic fall to the floor sometimes. The Fantasio book does tell how to make the Challenger Gimmick. It is on page 91. It is made from a piece of the candle itself and holds it open after the production.

Micheal Leath
PortugalMagician
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of PortugalMagician
Can you please describe a litle better the Challenger Gimmick?

Thanks in advance
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Does anyone know how to make a "lock" for the vanishing candle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL