The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Interesting Phenomenon... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Something totally unexpected happened while table hopping last night, and I'll need to try it again to see if it was just a one-off, or if there's something to it...

Long story short, I often end a set of table hopping card magic with card to wallet, and then immediately follow with the Omni Deck as the grand finale. The double punch of those two back to back literally leaves people in a state of absolute shock as anyone can attest who does those.

Now, here's where it gets interesting...

Last night I decided to finish my card sets with the card to wallet at most tables. At one or two tables I went ahead and finished with the Omni Deck, but mostly not.

And guess what... My tips literally doubled!

How strange is that? The only conclusions I can come up with are:

- When you end with the spectators looking dumbfounded at a block of plexiglass, they are just in the moment of astonishment and cannot come out of it to produce a tip? ie, for table hoppers, is there a theory that we could call the "Too Strong" theory for closers? Or is that utter nonsense?

- Or (more likely) is the card to wallet more suggestive of tipping because it uses a wallet?

Has anyone got any ideas about this? I'm definitely going to test this again, but I've got to say I'm surprised and interested by these results.
LotaBowl.com

The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.

Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Or.....or....could be complete coincidence. That's what I'm going with. I think the decision to tip or not tip is made by the spectators long before the finale.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4315 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Keep testing this out. See how it plays for a few weeks and please come back with a report. Smile Interesting to hear!
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
743 Posts

Profile of dduane
Not a coincidence. It's a real problem. I've been table hopping for 25 years, and still hate to not do a real strong finish. You are right in my opinion that the people are left in shock and don't think about tipping. Often they will chase me down later saying they forgot to tip me, and tip me then. One suggestion is to play to the children. I involve young children even with mentalism and card tricks. They think you're great to pay attention to the kids and will tip more.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Keep a chart of
Night of week
How many diners
how many at the table you were at
how many kids ratio to adults
was it a holiday weekend
And so forth.

I'm sure that April 6th through the 20th, your tips are less

Also you might consider this: When we mount a new illusion show, the first performance is electric even though we still have technical problems and blocking to work out. Three weeks later everyone is in a groove and there doesn't seem to be as much energy. The same thing happens with new employees. The first few weeks they are on time and bend over backwards then they slack off.

Possibly, the act of you changing your performance could generate more energy and that energy transfers to the audience. I write this because you wrote "I often end a set of table hopping card magic with card to wallet, and then immediately follow with the Omni Deck as the grand finale." You may not realize that you were in a rut but - why else - why then. would you have changed your performance?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I would rather blow their socks off than worry about a tip. If getting a tip means NOT dropping their jaws then I say to heck with the tip.
I get your question though...I agree with Patrick Flanagan and Duane.....Personally I never expect a tip but perform as though I should.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Thanks for the great comments, guys. Lots of great food for thought here!

-- Jim
LotaBowl.com

The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.

Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I agree with David, I'd rather really wow them, than get a $5 or $10 tip. However, I disagree with Patrick that most people decide to tip long before you are done. Just a matter of opinion and based on my experiences.
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of james prince
I think it's the wallet = money = tip that's the main factor here

I've never ended a set with card to wallet

Certainly when I end with a bank note trick my tips go up a lot

I don't factor that into my choice of finish, it's just something you can't help noticing

If you do go to the trouble of analysing it - I would also be interested in the outcome
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Pepka,
As a rule, I try to do 3 effects at the table. This changes based on many factors, but that's the objective when I approach a table. After finishing the second effect, I ask, "Do you have time for one more?" I say this for two reasons. First, it informs them that my performance is nearly complete...in case they were wondering if they would have time to talk about Uncle Bob's gout or whatever it is they need to discuss. Secondly, if they indeed have had enough magic for the evening, they have the opportunity to stop me. It gives the impression that I'm concerned about their time and experience. AND...I also say this while in the process of bringing out the last piece (deck of cards or coins...whatever I'm finishing with). Now, for those who think this is a bad idea....I have NEVER had anyone say..."no thanks, we don't want to see anymore". Never, not ever. And I've been doing this a loooong time.

My point to all this is, a large percentage of "tippers" will reach for their wallet or purse right after I begin my last routine. They know that this will be the last thing I do, and they have already decided whether to tip or not.

Of course this isn't 100% of the time. Yes, I do get people coming up to the next table and say "We wanted to give you something but you left so quickly.......". And something such as this cannot be measured without actually asking each table why they tip or don't tip....and if they do, when or what influences their decision. I guess my experiences differ, hence my point of view.

I do agree with the "wowing" part. My "set" is not constructed to influence a tip.

patrick
Presarian
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Presarian
Personally, I think that they are left in a state of shock and that moment and are more likely to gear towards the "how did he done that trick? I'm gonna try to figure it out" phase rather than the tipping phase.

Perhaps you could always ask them questions on which was their fav effect and talk to them awhile right after your closer. Its not wrong to engage ur audience and when they feel that they enjoyed your performance (perhaps only realising after talking to you), they might then tip you (:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Interesting Phenomenon... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL