The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you tell your wife/partner/spouse? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Gord
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Gord
My wife does not want to know...but she loves magic and loves me to show things I am working on and she is always ready to tell me if I am flashing or give me great suggestions to improve.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Show her Paul Curry's Out of this World and ask her how she did it?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Nice.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Robertology
View Profile
New user
Michigan
55 Posts

Profile of Robertology
I don't tell my wife everything right away. If she's enjoying the mystery of it, I don't want to take that away. But eventually, that subsides a bit and if she wants to know, I'll share. This, then, gives us something more to share between us. We stayed up for hours one night doing color changes. She got pretty good at it, actually! And we had a great time together.

At first I didn't want to tell her but she is my partner in life, we were joined as one, we're supposed to share everything and keep no secrets (and you know she brought all that up). It's really been better that way.
- Robert
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My wife is a strong, prideful woman who hates to be fooled. I know I've done an effect right when she gets angry, and insists I tell her how I did it...or else. I've never wanted to discover the meaning of "or else."
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Curtis Alexander
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Curtis Alexander
Interesting question. I'm single at the moment but have dealt with it in the past and chose not to tell them, but these relationships weren't as serious as being married. I wouldn't want to tell my wife everything because it would ruin the mystery for her, but perhaps telling her the general principles could ease her curiosity while still making some of the more mysterious effects that much more amazing to her. Just a thought.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
My wife never wants to know. She enjoys the mystery and it makes her feel young again.

My son of 22 is a different story.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
I generally don't tell. I don't show a routine until I think it is ready. I will do the entire routine for her and ask for comments. Then I will preform the trick a few times at various speeds to see if she can spot how it is done.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
I generally don't tell. I don't show a routine until I think it is ready. I will do the entire routine for her and ask for comments. Then I will preform the trick a few times at various speeds to see if she can spot how it is done.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
She has never asked so I never told. But usually I try it out on others first, occasionally her.
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
My girlfriend doesn't want to be told... but, she's extremely good at backtracking & working out methods. So her reactions provide great feedback!
powerwords
View Profile
New user
Indonesia
73 Posts

Profile of powerwords
I sometimes tell my wife when constructing a routine, just to get suggestions on the presentation. she sometimes ask about all the dirty works behind the magic. and I don't mind telling her, she'll forget eventually. but I get a lot of good ideas for performance from her.
BE GOOD, if you can't then BE CAREFUL, if it's hard then BE BAD!!!
malamoney
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of malamoney
My wife tries to figure everything out. Well, I'm sure many do, but for her, she's not really interested in being entertained. She just wants to say "I know how you did that. Or I saw you do...."

She is no fun at all to perform or practice for...
joesquire
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of joesquire
She says "I saw when you peeked the card"

I say "really? When?

She tells me when I got my peek

I say "what did I flash? What do I need to clean up?"

She says "Oh I didn't see anything, you just looked sneaky at that point"

I think, OK... More practice needed...

Harsh critic.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
My wife and I have full disclosure. I tell her how tricks are done and she tells me what's in the casserole and what she bought at the mall
Veirs
View Profile
New user
Fuzhou, Fujian Province, China
22 Posts

Profile of Veirs
My wife usually figures everything out by herself, she doesn't really see the tricks as laypeople do.
(She has read a book or two written by Liu Qian on magic techniques so that probably helps her too)
If I can stump her though, I know that trick is a keeper as shes usually able to catch others as well

Shes much better than a mirror as she is so incredibly picky and critical.
Her feedback is usually very constructive and helpful so its better for me in the long run.
She gets the test run of a new trick before I bring it outside of the house.
Sometimes she asks me not to tell her how its done as she enjoys that magic feeling quite a bit.

Overall, I don't mind letting her in on it when she wants to be.
I can get some points and tips from a safe / trustworthy outside perspective that have at times really improved my performance.
We are both working performers. I do the magic shows and she does the belly dancing shows.

sorry to go on a mini tangent, my wife has been a huge supporter of my hobby/job.
joesquire
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of joesquire
Your comments struck a chord with me, Veirs. I agree totally!

It's so important to be able to show tricks to "non-magicians" because that's who we're supposed to be performing for
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Never tell a secret to a woman.
SWiCh
View Profile
New user
UK
67 Posts

Profile of SWiCh
As with many of you, I practice new tricks/routines on my wife, and she is constructively critical with my presentation, which is great (helps a lot with angle issues!).

I reveal certain things to her, but if she really got fried, then I (and usually, she) would rather keep the mystery (unless the couch is threatened of course!).
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
My wife hate when I tell her how a trick works. I will normally only show her if I need her to focus on what I see is a potential weak spot or a trick we sell. (she has to understand the ones we sell) I consider her an assistant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do you tell your wife/partner/spouse? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL