The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Your most impossible looking self working card trick? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
My vote goes to either Bobo's "Higher Mentality or Unbelievable (By Shields, F. Michael And Bascom Jones, Jr). They both just seem totally impossible!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Anything employing Simon Aronson's UnDo Influence control. I'm partial to Divide and Conquer.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6322 Posts

Profile of magicfish
How about, Impossible - by Jennings.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well S2000 and Magicfish stole my thunder. GRRRRR

I need to list something so I guess Martyn Smith's Up The Ante would certainly qualify as impossible looking. Since the two I honestly would have answered had these two miscreants not seen this thread are taken, I get one more Smile Henry Evans' Perfect Triumph.

Namaste,
Vlad
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 17:18, S2000magician wrote:
Anything employing Simon Aronson's UnDo Influence control. I'm partial to Divide and Conquer.

Getting Simon's book tomorrow. I tried to figure out the trick by watching the Penn and Teller video over and over but I just can't work it out and I even know a trick that supposedly uses the same principle! Of course it did fool Penn and Teller so I shouldn't feel to bad that I couldn't figure it out. Smile
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
"Likelihood" spelled LII-kelihood (roman numeral 52) out of Steve Beam's volume one I think.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 20:37, brad12d3 wrote:
I tried to figure out the trick by watching the Penn and Teller video . . . .

Do you have a link to the video? I'd love to see it.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 21:11, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yncPPuNDW......&t=5m50s

In fact I am pretty sure it is the only card trick that fooled them unless you count Mathieu Bich's trick.. which really wasn't a traditional card trick.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 22:52, brad12d3 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

In fact I am pretty sure it is the only card trick that fooled them unless you count Mathieu Bich's trick.. which really wasn't a traditional card trick.

What he showed Penn and Teller was Prior Commitment, the first of the effects in Try the Impossible that uses the UnDo Influence control. It's an excellent effect (as you saw), but I prefer Divide and Conquer; it uses the same principle in a slightly different guise.

If you have a copy of Darwin Ortiz' Designing Miracles, you should read what he has to say about the final climax of Prior Commitment, and compare that with what you saw on the video. I warn you, however, that the reference in Designing Miracles is subtle.

If you don't know the UnDo Influence control (as Penn and Teller obviously did not), the effects it produces are unfathomable. If you know it, they're within a toucher of being unfathomable.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 23:12, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What he showed Penn and Teller was Prior Commitment, the first of the effects in Try the Impossible that uses the UnDo Influence control. It's an excellent effect (as you saw), but I prefer Divide and Conquer; it uses the same principle in a slightly different guise.

If you have a copy of Darwin Ortiz' Designing Miracles, you should read what he has to say about the final climax of Prior Commitment, and compare that with what you saw on the video. I warn you, however, that the reference in Designing Miracles is subtle.

If you don't know the UnDo Influence control (as Penn and Teller obviously did not), the effects it produces are unfathomable. If you know it, they're within a toucher of being unfathomable.

Ahhhhh,.. I see. Well then I look forward to reading Divide and Conquer tomorrow! Smile

I have Patrick Redford's Square which has a trick called Spot Poker Tells that supposedly uses the same principle. This routine only deals with one card so I not sure how the math applies to two cards at two locations. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Thanks for the info!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 00:56, brad12d3 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhhhh,.. I see. Well then I look forward to reading Divide and Conquer tomorrow! Smile

I have Patrick Redford's Square which has a trick called Spot Poker Tells that supposedly uses the same principle. This routine only deals with one card so I not sure how the math applies to two cards at two locations. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Thanks for the info!

My pleasure.

What's funny is that I understand how the control works for two cards, and I don't see how it's possible to do it with only one. I'd love to see Spot Poker Tells.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 01:11, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 00:56, brad12d3 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info!

My pleasure.

What's funny is that I understand how the control works for two cards, and I don't see how it's possible to do it with only one. I'd love to see Spot Poker Tells.

Check it out: http://www.magic-by-george.com/store/square.html

It's got some great stuff! I'll learn the two card version,.. you learn the one card version and we'll both be well rounded Undo Influencers. Smile
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1733 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Currently the print version is out of print but you may purchase a digital version is available via my site.
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
Excuse me but who is "Divide and Conquer" by?
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 21:58, khuzhai wrote:
Excuse me but who is "Divide and Conquer" by?

It's in the book "Try the Impossible" by Simon Asonson... It uses the same mathematical principle as the trick you see in the youtube video I posted above. It really is rather brilliant, but it involves a lot of dealing of the cards. To clarify... imagine this:

You have a deck (it can be borrowed) thoroughly shuffled by the spectator. You have one spectator cut off a portion of the deck and then another spectator cuts off another portion of the remainder. They memorize the cards they cut to and both place their portions back on the remainder of the deck. (This could be done with your back turned, so they don't think your estimating cards or whatever)

Now you can perform this however you like and the original patter it somewhat tongue in cheek... but I'll tell you how I perform it from this point.

(First.. I had already written down a "prediction" before they made their selections.)

I take back the deck and reveal my prediction proudly and pull out the two cards I predicted which are not theirs. At this point they are looking very confused. I hold up the two cards I had predicted and proudly announce that I predicted that these would not be their chosen cards and then ask if they are impressed.. of course they are not. I explain that the trick involves me removing every card but theirs from the deck ..two at a time.

I suddenly realize that this is probably going to take much longer than I thought it would when I came up with the trick the night before. I then proclaim that I am going to use a super secret method of finding chosen cards that only a few of the top card guys in the world know. I build it up real big and then start simply dealing the deck lazily into two piles. After the cards are exhausted I eliminate one of the piles in some random half ***ed way that looks like I have no idea what I am doing. You do the dealing out into two piles a couple of more times and you end up with 3 cards left. I shrug and remove the top card leaving just two cards left. All this is done as though it's not thought out very well and almost amateurish.

At this point I say to the spectators, " I want you to think about something for a moment... I want you to think about the fact that this is a terrible god awful trick. For one thing I never gave myself an opportunity to pull any sleight of hand since I let you just cut the deck and square it up nice and neat before giving it back. So how could I possibly know anything about your cards? I couldn't!

Also, my first revelation was lame.. finding two cards that aren't yours isn't exactly hard to do. The odds are kind of in my favor. Also, I talked about some super secret method of finding cards. Yeah right! I just lazily dealt the deck into two piles over and over until I had just a couple of cards left. Considering all this, there is no way this trick should work. It just doesn't make any sense at all. But that's the point! You see the only way that these two cards could be your cards is if some miracle happened. It would have to be true 100 percent magic for this trick to have a successful conclusion. But just for grins.. what were your cards? "

You then show that the last two cards are in fact their selections!

There is absolutely no sleight of hand.

There is no math to be done in your head. Except for counting... you can count to... say.. 20 right? Good.

There is no crimping, BC cards, or any other warping of the deck.

There is no forcing

Again,.. it can be a borrowed deck.

The book explains the principle behind the trick and how to personalize it to your own tricks.

Highly recommended! Smile
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
So I developed an impromptu version of Prior Commitment that doesn't use the jokers. It can be done to one or two people. I think this is my favorite Undue Influence trick if I only have one spectator or if I don't have a lot of time. If I have a good amount of time then I would probably go with Divide and Conquer.

If anyone is interested then PM me. I think it's fantastic because it has the same effect as Prior Commitment but is totally impromptu and can be done with a borrowed deck on the fly.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
I find it strange that Penn and Teller wouldnt know this routine....I don't think it would be that hard to fool them, wish I could get on the show...

That was a great performance, whomever the gentleman was!
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2013-02-03 17:03, SIX wrote:
I find it strange that Penn and Teller wouldnt know this routine....I don't think it would be that hard to fool them, wish I could get on the show...

That was a great performance, whomever the gentleman was!

Well, I could see how they might have missed it if they spent most of their effort and research on their brand of stage illusions. I do a decent amount of research but every once in a while I discover something that I hadn't seen before. It wasn't that long ago that I discovered the Undue Influence Principle. I will say this,.. if you are not familiar with the principle then it is very difficult to reverse engineer a trick using it. Especially if you see it just once in a live performance. It just seems so fair, and the one move you do doesn't even look like a move. In fact, the move is so natural that someone could easily do it by accident without realizing it. I know I probably have. Smile
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I love Simon Aronson's "Undo Influence" principle and the seven effects he has set out (in his "Try the Impossible" book).

However, that said, I think that the most impossible looking self-working card trick is "Degrees of Freedom' from John Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" book. The "Degrees of Freedom" effect can be performed impromptu using a borrowed deck. I literally get gasps of amazement from the participant and the other audience members at the surprise conclusion. Audience members seem to never fail in asking me to "Do that again!" And, I frequently have people coming up to me days and weeks later commenting on how they just cannot get that effect out of their mind and that that effect was the best and most magical thing that they had ever seen. "Degrees of Freedom" is that strong.

Mike

P.S. One thing that I always try to do is to make the "Degrees of Freedom" effect personal to the participant. How do I attempt to do this?

I try to accomplish this "personalization" by trying to determine the participant's favorite card suit in advance. This "personalization" is accomplished prior to performing the effect. Sometimes, days in advance; sometimes, as I am talking to the person before the performance begins (pre-show chit-chat); sometimes, if necessary, right before the start of the effect.

My "personalization" strategy is to innocently ask: "BTW, I'm taking an informal survey just to satisfy my own curiosity. I read somewhere that men and women seem to have different preferences for certain card suits. So, if you don't mind, would you please tell me what is your favorite card suit" Regardless of their answer, I then explain that "Wow! That is very interesting. Most women pick either hearts or diamonds because, it seems that women, being nurturers, seem to overwhelmingly favor either Hearts (love and caring) and Diamonds (family security, yadda-yadda-yadda). Men, on the other hand, being the hunter-gatherers in ancestral times, seem to overwhelmingly pick either Clubs or Spades ( i.e., weapons from our early ancestral days of being hunter-gatherers and warriors, yadda-yadda-yadda.)

If the woman picked either Hearts or Diamonds, I comment that their answer is confirming the results of that prior survey. If, instead, the woman participant picked either Clubs or Spades, I point out: "That's very interesting. While most women pick Hearts or Diamonds, you show your uniqueness and individuality by stepping outside the mold and picking (name the black suit). Interesting. Very interesting." A similar tactic is used for a male participant.

I then thank the person for allowing me to add their result into my admittedly very unscientific survey...and I move on as the situation might allow. That is, if I can obtain this "favorite suit" information a day or two earlier, I tuck it away the later performance...when I am going to call on this person to help me with the "Degrees of Freedom" effect. If I can only obtain the information that night (during pre-show chit-chat?) or while the spectator is now there to help with the Degrees of Freedom" effect, I'll try to put some temporal space between the "survey" and the "Degrees of Freedom" effect. (Improvise here.)

The reason for all the above is so that I can then personalize the effect by setting the effect up with the stated favorite suit in mind (instead of just using a meaningless random suit) and then, at the end of the effect, just before the reveal, I remind the participant and the audience of the participant stating the name of her favorite suit. I then slowly spread over the cards (to reveal that the cards from her favorite suit are all face up and staring her in the face) as I exclaim that "Wow! I guess (name suit) is your favorite suit after all. As we can plainly see this confirms your choice of favorite suit and "proves" that the effect would not have worked had your favorite suit been anything other than (name suit)".

Just my way of personalizing the effect. Your mileage may vary...and probably does. (grin) You might feel that this strategy is hoaky or might not fit your personality or might be much ado about nothing. That's fine; I'm cool with that. I just offered the strategy for your consideration and use if you find something in it of value.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Thanks Mike!

Just ordered John Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy".

I have been looking for some more good impromptu card tricks without a lot of knuckle busting sleights.

Thanks for sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Your most impossible looking self working card trick? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL