The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Raffling off a show. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
I am planning on placing ballot boxes to raffle off a show, in order to collect leads. I bout some ballot boxes, but I'm at a loss as to how to best display them. I need to comeup with a way to include the entrance card and have some kind of writing implement for them.

Anybody have any help? I've searched the web for photos of a raffle/lottery setup, but have found nothing.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I've never done this, but have thought about doing it. I will be interested to hear how it works for you. Keep us posted.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Confused. Are you raffling off a show, i.e. it cost $1 a ticket and winner gets a freebie, or are you having a drawing for a show, i.e. free entry and winner gets a show?
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am confused as to why you would want a list of people which may or may not want your services.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I am with Danny. People who enter a free raffle are not necessarily qualified leads. They may be the type to wait for future such drawings should they not win the initial one.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. They are often thrifty shoppers and penny-pinchers only interested in a freebie, a deal, or will shop based on price only - all three things I try to steer away from.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Paddy: A drawing. Free to enter, winner gets a free show.

Others: Everybody who enters a drawing for a show, wants a show. That's just axiomatic. They may not be able to pay for a show, but they definitely want it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Zack -

You might find some tips on this (older) thread:

--> Magic Café thread titled... Other Side of Trade Show

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
The people who enter the drawing are not all guaranteed to buy a show in the next year, but they are more qualified than say a list from the phone book. It is true that some just want something for free, some are penny pinchers, some can't afford it, etc. But there will also be many who have kids, need an entertainer, and can afford it.

Zack, I commend you for trying it. One thing about marketing is that you never know what is going to work or not work until you try it. Sometimes you think you have a winner and it doesn't work, but at least you took a shot at it. That sure beats sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 19:07, Karen Climer wrote:
The people who enter the drawing are not all guaranteed to buy a show in the next year, but they are more qualified than say a list from the phone book. It is true that some just want something for free, some are penny pinchers, some can't afford it, etc. But there will also be many who have kids, need an entertainer, and can afford it.

Zack, I commend you for trying it. One thing about marketing is that you never know what is going to work or not work until you try it. Sometimes you think you have a winner and it doesn't work, but at least you took a shot at it. That sure beats sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

If the only criteria is that it needs to beat "sit around and do nothing", then opening your front door and screaming at the top of your lungs "Who out there needs a magician" would also qualify as a possible marketing strategy. I just believe there are many other strategies that would be more effective. Setting up the raffle and doing a show is a huge time investment. Perhaps if this was something being done in conjunction with an event that had a ton of kids at it and you were aloud to give a pitch to the crowd about the content of your show in exchange for offering such a drawing, it would make a bit more sense. In that case I would have the drawing then and there, a winner announced and a special discount to others for shows booked within a specified period of time.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
I'm gonna position the boxes in locations where kids and parents congregate. Its a minimal investment, cheaper than a mailing campaign.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Zack, I can give you a big tip or two on the box but first, do you do birthday shows?
Asking because your site says you do corporate work.

Tom
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Yep, I do birthday shows.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 18:30, Zack wrote:
Paddy: A drawing. Free to enter, winner gets a free show.

Others: Everybody who enters a drawing for a show, wants a show. That's just axiomatic. They may not be able to pay for a show, but they definitely want it.

God is love. Love is blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Stevie Wonder is God.

This is the logic you are using to claim that it is "axiomatic". Good luck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
HMM, if you desire to do this, I would suggest trying to qualifying the leads.

Have a questionare something like:

How many children between the ages of 1-5
How many children between the ages of 5 and 10
How many children between the ages of 11 and 16
Birth dates of children under 16 years old?

Have you ever hired a magician or a party entertainer?
How likely would you hire entertainment in the next year on a scale of 1-10.

Also, ask a few questions about corporate, graduations,
etc
etc
etc

Just a thought, good luck.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Curtis you seem to be suggesting that someone actually sort out the wheat from the chaff! That way you don't throw good money after bad marketing to people with a 0% chance of it padding the ROI.

Hmmmmm that is just crazy enough to work!!!!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 20:32, Zack wrote:
I'm gonna position the boxes in locations where kids and parents congregate. Its a minimal investment, cheaper than a mailing campaign.

This post puzzles me.

How do you intend to follow up on the leads that you gather?

It sounds like you aren't intending to do mailings. Are you intending to do emails or phone calls instead? Or were you not going to follow up at all?

- Donald

P.S. On the other thread I linked to earlier, we discussed options for the "non-winners" of the grand prize. They could all get a discount coupon on a show booking, or better yet, some sort of physical prize like a magic wand along with the coupon.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that should excite them about magic in general.

Why is it that magicians want to underestimate the intelligence of future customers so badly? Do you think that after they have the "raffle" and give you the name and such and then get bombarded with information about you that they don't put things together? Seriously?

The threads are always about how to sneak information out of people that they may or may not want to give you on whatever shakey premise you can manage to come up with. Why not talk about how people feel about you gathering their information in the first place?

Never mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Zack -

Here's another thread, that evolved into a discussion about draws:

--> Magic Café thread titled... Week......ertising

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Raffling off a show. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL