The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How much time to learn clipshift and Be Kind Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Hello magicians
I'd like to known how much time it takes you to learn :
- The Clipshift (Chad nelson)
- The Be Kind Change (Tony Chang)

Ho many hours a day?
How many months?
(example : 2 months : 2 hours a day)
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
The clipshift is a mighty weapen but not easy... (for me at least, I don't manage to do it perfectly)
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of failed_drummer
I've no idea about the clipshift, and I don't have the Be Kind Change download, but I believe it's used on his Sandwiches download, which I do have. It took me about a week of sitting in front of a tv practising to learn the move. It's pretty tricky, and it seems kind of impossible (which is why no one expects it), but after a few days I had the motions down and it was just a matter of getting it smooth. I still haven't used it in performance, but that's partly due to the rest of the effect...

Having said that, the time it takes to learn something like that is very subjective. If you do lots of technical sleights, it might only take a few day, but if it's your first download it might take months/years (if it is, get something else which is easier).
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Everyone is different man. Some people can pick it right up and some people can work on it for years and never get it. Its really dependant on each individuals skill level.
bozo
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of bozo
If the technique is worth doing in your opinion, then it doesn't matter how long it takes to learn. For example, I immediately saw the value in Ernest Earick's one-handed palm. It took 7 years to master this sleight. I should say, it took me six and a half years to understand the sleight and another six months to make it work reliably.
On the other hand I never saw the value in the Raise Rise move, until I saw some applications that were valuable to me. I don't work on it everyday, but it will eventually become a valuable tool in my arsenal (might be another 5 years).
In short, who cares how long it took others to master these sleights? Why do you want to learn them? Will it make you a better magician, or a better show-off?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
It also depends on how you VALUE and PRIORITIZE your time. Also, are these sleights PRACTICAL to you? Or are you just curious to learn them? That answer will focus your drive.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Jack Crafter
View Profile
New user
Kent, England
62 Posts

Profile of Jack Crafter
I think Bozo's ht the nail on the head with this one. Magic takes a lifetime to master so if something's worth learning it doesn't matter how long it takes. Plus, once you've got it down any particular sleight is a skill you have for life (as long as you keep up the practice of course). (Plus I'm currently following the same path regarding that one handed palm myself. I've read the description through over and over but it still feels like I'm missing something :S. I'll get it with time though...)
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Great question, these two moves have been giving me heartburn for a good while. With Tony's move -if I have the right moisture on tip of pinky it fine...but that's with 10mins of practice. With the Clipshift it's always at the card index where my first index knuckle is-is where I flash. Hopefully one day I can master these knacky moves. All the best Greig
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

For those working on the Be Kind Change and Ernest Earick's one-handed bottom palm, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can you tips. I haven't really mastered them, but they're at a mostly workable standard.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Thanks for the answers
Obviously, as Bobby said "Everyone is different man", so the time I need to learn these moves is different from other people.

Bozo said " it doesn't matter how long it takes to learn". I agree but it was'nt the meaning of my question.

ATOM3339 said "Also, are these sleights PRACTICAL to you? Or are you just curious to learn them?". Im'not sure I'm going to use them but I can learn them for the fun of learning them. In addition, Learning (or/and practice)is a process who makes you think about the moves and their utility.

failed_drummer said "It took me about a week of sitting in front of a tv practising to learn the move. It's pretty tricky, and it seems kind of impossible (which is why no one expects it), but after a few days I had the motions down and it was just a matter of getting it smooth." It gives me clue about the time I need to learn these moves.

In reality, my question wasn't enough clear. The real question is "How much time it takes you to learn these moves?"

Thanks everybody because I found each answer interesting. I hope that my sentences are clear (I'm french and I think that there is errors in my text).
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
244 Posts

Profile of Carlo
Yes, if you stopped your car to ask directions of a Café member he'd probably say, "Are you sure you want to go there?". Then if you asked how far you were from your destination they might reply, "If you need to get there, does it really matter?" This after telling you what kind of car and brand of gasoline you should have bought in the first place.

I picked up the Clipshift in a couple of weeks or so, but am still not entirely satisfied with it. If I ever run into Chad and he gives me some helpful tips I'll start practicing it again.
Looking forward to learning Tony's move.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Thanks Carlo for the humoristic answer ... and the information itself (a couple of week to "approach" the move).
poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
419 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 08:43, failed_drummer wrote:
I've no idea about the clipshift, and I don't have the Be Kind Change download, but I believe it's used on his Sandwiches download, which I do have. It took me about a week of sitting in front of a tv practising to learn the move. It's pretty tricky, and it seems kind of impossible (which is why no one expects it), but after a few days I had the motions down and it was just a matter of getting it smooth. I still haven't used it in performance, but that's partly due to the rest of the effect...

Having said that, the time it takes to learn something like that is very subjective. If you do lots of technical sleights, it might only take a few day, but if it's your first download it might take months/years (if it is, get something else which is easier).

A friendly notice: There is an individual tutorial of Be Kind Change. It gives you more details on the change itself.

- Arthur
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Thanks Arthur

I have the individual tutorial from Theory 11 and it is a good one.
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
A magician once said that it would take him till he was 30 to learn that move. That would be 5 years of practice!
To which Persi Diaconis said to the man, "Well, you are going to turn 30 anyways. "

If you pin things down to how low it would take, you will miss out on the journey. Which is actually when you learn something fully.
You learn more from messing up than knowing the right method to begin with.

Just have fun. If its a chore then magic is not for you.

-Tony C
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-01-24 14:35, poonchingyip wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-23 08:43, failed_drummer wrote:

A friendly notice: There is an individual tutorial of Be Kind Change. It gives you more details on the change itself.

- Arthur

Yeah, I know that, but I haven't got it. I didn't see much point after getting Sandwiches and ChangE.
magicman491
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of magicman491
Well, it depends if you starting in magic or if you've been doing it for years and you can handle cards well... for me I cauht on quick to the be kind change after about a week I was comfortable. you just gotta sort out ur angles.
failed_drummer
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Also, cheers for the incredible magic Tony.
NapoleonII
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of NapoleonII
For the clipshift: 2 months and a half, clipshifting through about 5 decks per day once I got the mechanics down. Took about 2 weeks to get them down.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Thanks NapoleonII
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How much time to learn clipshift and Be Kind Change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL