The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Publicity Stunts. Dos and Don'ts ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eostresh
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of eostresh
So has anyone ever done a publicity stunt? I know they have always been a big thing for escape artists, and sometimes mentalists, since Houdini's day and age but you don't hear a lot of working pros mention them to much.

Here is the deal:
I created a crime oriented magic show to help cross sell my novel. http://the-boxman.com/ It is a fun show, I spent several months developing it and have audience tested it twice so I am pretty confident with it. I am now ready to start selling the show for parties and corporate events. I had planned on the usual, get some restaurant gigs and work the phones, but a unique opportunity showed up.

My Dad runs a small museum in an old Railroad Depot in town. In the old Western Union office in the depot is an old safe(The combo has been lost to time). The safe is antique and it is doubtful anything more valuable than the safe itself resides within it. Thus they have avoided the locksmith because the local guy just does drilling, not manipulation, and the museum doesn't want the safe damaged. So here is my opportunity to manipulate it in a very public way. This in turn can be leveraged into free publicity for both the book and the magic show.

So I am just looking for general thoughts on a publicity stunt of this sort. Thanks....
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Open the safe.

Really.

Get an out of town expert.

You'll be a legend. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
If you know how to open it, it would be a great idea. Smile
Reality is a real killjoy.
SatanicBurrito
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of SatanicBurrito
Sneak a locksmith in to open the safe under the cover of night. Buy his mouth shut.

At this point you own the town. You can plant whatever obscure item / prediction / reference to your show / bizarre lie to distort reality you want.

Then publicly hire a different locksmith for the publicity stunt.

Scandalous!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Open it. Absolutely.

Oh, and I do a LOT of publicity stunts.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Get a dollar bill from before the safe combo was lost. Write a message on it that says, "This safe will be opened on (date)!" and have a famous magician's signature forged on the bill. Get the safe open, plant the bill, then open it for your publicity photos. There are locksmiths who can crack the safe without damaging it.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Publicity Stunts. Dos and Don'ts ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL