The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » O'Connell or Vernet Himber? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
Magical folks:

I want a Himber to switch one bill for another or to remove a bill and have it magically return. I have an inexpensive one I got long ago but want to move up to a more attractive, better operating one (mine sticks occasionally when the wallet is opened). I've got it narrowed to Vernet or O'Connell (large) from MJM magic. Any advice from you fellow magicians about which is best in terms of quality and operation would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Magical things,
Zipper
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi zipper
I don't know the Vernet wallet but have and use quite often the O'Connell large Himber wallet which I think is excellent and good quality.

Also for your information if you haven't already got it, there is a Himber Wallet Book by Harry Lorayne published by L & L Publishing with loads of routines for the Himber wallet.

Hope this helps

All the best

Michael
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Zipper--I would caution you about utilizing the Himber wallet to make the magic happen. If you remove money from the Himber wallet, vanish the money and re-open the wallet to reveal the money again, audiences will suspect the wallet. How else?

The Himber wallet should be incidental to the magic. It should be a device to hold your money, paper or cards--and perceived as that by your audience--nothing more than that!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2568 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
The problem with most Himber wallets is that they just don't look normal. They look exactly what they are - namely, a magicians prop.

However, if you want the most realistic looking billfold wallet (that doubles up as a Himber) then check out Jerry O'Connell's Shogun Wallet. It was originally created by Elbert Garner, and first released around 1982.

I'm not an admirer of JOL wallets these days - they appear to be mass-produced in awful, chintzy leather. However, the ShoGun is beautiful - and can actually be given to the spectator to hold and open up themselves.

This advert gives more details - but I'm sure that they are available via a number of magic suppliers Worldwide.

http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk/JerryOConnell.html
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
Merc Man,

Thank you so much for the advice. I will check out Sho-Gun and hope that it will do what I want it to do.

Zipper
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
Leo H.

Thank you for your observations on Himber, which seem right on the money. However, I'm using--or planning to--the Himber in the context of Wonder's Ring, Watch, & Wallet routine, so I really--maybe my lack of imagination--can't think of a better way to do what must be done (i.e., remove money, put the wallet in a pocket where the wallet can be seen, and have the money return at the correct time).

Magical things,
Zipper
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
Isn't a Shogun along the line of a Pimpernal wallet?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2568 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 20:34, motown wrote:
Isn't a Shogun along the line of a Pimpernal wallet?

Not sure how a Pimpernel works mate to be honest.

The Sho-Gun is simplicity itself but, because it's so natural, it's anything other than obvious.

PM me if you need the modus operandi as this is an open part of the forum.
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Here is JOL's web address:http: http://www.leatherjerry.com/index.html
JMN
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I am looking for a Himber wallet also. One effect I want it for is Ron Bauer's Xerox Money. The book calls for a Himber wallet - a standard one that takes full-size currency. I am guessing that he added that note because there have been a number of smaller "hip pocket" size Himber wallets on the market of late and that apparently will not work with this routine.

The JOL Himber looks significantly different than what I think the "standard" Himber looks like; the Vernet seems to fit that description better.

Is anyone here using a JOL Himber for Ron Bauer's Xerox Money? If so, how does it handle the routine?

Thank you.

Jim
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I've heard the criticism that a lot of Himbers look like props. Maybe I got lucky; I purchased one from Stevens Magic that I think is manufactured by Magic, Inc. To my eyes, it looks very nice indeed and not like a prop.

Of course, these days you can find lots of somewhat unusual-looking leather accessories at men's clothing stores, so perhaps the appearance of a Himber wallet just comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1074 Posts

Profile of taller8
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21983 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 20:02, zipper wrote:
Leo H.

Thank you for your observations on Himber, which seem right on the money. However, I'm using--or planning to--the Himber in the context of Wonder's Ring, Watch, & Wallet routine, so I really--maybe my lack of imagination--can't think of a better way to do what must be done (i.e., remove money, put the wallet in a pocket where the wallet can be seen, and have the money return at the correct time).

Magical things,
Zipper

If you are looking to do the Oswald Rae "Bandit" routine, then a better reference then Tommy Wonder would be the Alan Shaxon video tape and/or Jim Steinmeyer version in his book Conjuring Anthology. Some versions use the Himber, but Alan Shaxon used the Devil's Hank, only in a large scarf version. The idea of the large scarf, was to represent the Bandit scarf. Many of the younger people on the Café will not know, that when Cowboy shows were on television, the bandits would use a neckerchief to cover their nose and mouth, masking their faces, and black hats. The good guy always wore a white hat and no mask, except of course for the Lone Ranger. Thus the Bandit idea for the trick. There may be a patter routing in one of the late Sid Lorraine patter books that Abbott's Magic sells. Sid was known for his genius magic patter creations.

Actually any Himber will do, I would go for the Vernet, as they look very well made, and Steven's Magic as also sold them in the past. Or, one of the inexpensive India models would work as well, that only costs $20.00 retail.

This trick is really meant to be presented as a stand up effect, not a close up trick.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
......FWIW, I recently purchased a Vernet Magic Himber wallet to get started learning about wallet use. I thought I would start with the most commonly mentioned brand. I am a little disappointed, though, because (US) dollars, which are mentioned in the instructions for the included trick, don't fit comfortably into the wallet. One has to scrunch them up to fit. Is this common or should I maybe return it for a different type?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » O'Connell or Vernet Himber? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL