The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Paul Brook's NIX4? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
I like this book. Well written and good explanations. The hole routine it self is very good. My only issue is the lie detection part. I know that some of my audience will mess this up. I often perform for people that are on the influence of alcohol, and it will be a bit complicated for them. I have done Marc Paul`s "True Lies", and it was similar problems there. This is of course a personally point of view, but for me I have to go around that part of the routine, and I have a few good ideas how to do that.

Anyway, it is a very good book that I can recommend to others doing stage mentalism Smile
THB
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels
177 Posts

Profile of THB
Did you guys receive any purchase confirmation other than the paypal?

I didn't. no racking number. so I have no idea what is happening. was it the same for all of you?
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Didn't get a tracking number, but number 82 only just arrived today in the mail. If you were one of the pre-order group you should be getting it soon.

~ Nique
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
123 german mentalist bought it! ;-)
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
THB
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels
177 Posts

Profile of THB
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 10:56, nique wrote:
Didn't get a tracking number, but number 82 only just arrived today in the mail. If you were one of the pre-order group you should be getting it soon.

~ Nique

Thanks Nique.
No , I don't think I am a preorder, which is why I just want to make sure that order is being processed.

I would have appreciated a confirmation from paul as well as my paypal.

I guess ill just wait and see...
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Email Paul directly if you have a query, you'll not get hold of him on here.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
THB
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels
177 Posts

Profile of THB
Quote:
On 2013-03-12 11:51, phillsmiff wrote:
Email Paul directly if you have a query, you'll not get hold of him on here.

Phill

Thanks Phil,

I did, and no response as of yet. but ill continue on that road. I'm sure all is good. Smile

thanks all.
Dave Nic
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
244 Posts

Profile of Dave Nic
#107 =) has arrived! Have not had a chance to read it but am looking foward to it Smile
learachel
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of learachel
Number 131 ;-)
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
#14 arrived last week, and though I'm only half way through it, I couldn't be happier!

It combines a number of my favorite concepts into a strong, cohesive performance piece. As with all of Paul's work that I've read, he breaks the process down to the simplest possible structure, then builds layer upon layer of presentation to squeeze every ounce of effect out of it. His exhaustive attention to the most minute of details is incredible. There have been so many releases where the presentation is simply glossed over, and you get a few paragraphs about the performance. With Paul, you get every detail - every move, every word. While I won't use the script word-for-word, I love that you can see every nook and cranny, which makes the foundation easier for you to build upon.

It certainly doesn't need to be performed exactly as written, and again, Paul's attention to detail is what allows you to see places where variation can be placed. This was not a small investment for me, but it was certainly worthwhile, and I'm glad I took the plunge.
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Question for those who've read the routine: Would you tell the audience and the participants how many of each "roles" there are, before the roles are assigned? Or would you wait till the reveal with the 5th spectator, to tell them that you knew that there are 2 of one and 3 of the other (thus explaining the process of elimination)?

Hope that made sense. PM me your thoughts if you feel that would be better. Thanks guys!

~ Nique

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

www.niquetan.com
THB
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels
177 Posts

Profile of THB
110 for me Smile

all good.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 12:45, nique wrote:
Question for those who've read the routine: Would you tell the audience and the participants how many of each "roles" there are, before the roles are assigned? Or would you wait till the reveal with the 5th spectator, to tell them that you knew that there are 2 of one and 3 of the other (thus explaining the process of elimination)?

Hope that made sense. PM me your thoughts if you feel that would be better. Thanks guys!

~ Nique

I'm not completely sure I understand your question. As far as I am aware, roles are only revealed / discerned as each individual is questioned.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Still waiting Smile
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Hey Derek!

What I mean is, it's mentioned that after you know the first 4 roles, then the 5th (by the time you get to him) is obvious through a process of elimination because you have to have known how many of each role there are to begin with (they're your envelopes after all). This is why the 5th spectator is handled through the use of a prediction. Page 34 will be the point in the routine I'm referring to here.

Think of it as already correctly returning 4 out of 5 drawings in a Sneak Thief type of routine; obviously the last drawing is the last spectator's.

My question is, do you tell the audience from the start that there are 3 truth tellers and 2 liars, before you distribute the envelopes? It should be obvious that you know, but should we openly state it as well?

~ Nique

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

www.niquetan.com
sweeney
View Profile
New user
Vienna/Austria
10 Posts

Profile of sweeney
Still waiting ...
:-(
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I received mine in the mail today. Paul explains lots of subtleties that show he's performed this many times. It's easy to understand and very good in that Berglasian way. I love doing the chair test part without using a NW. I also love using "Berglasian" in a sentence.

My only qualm has to do with the condition of the book when it arrived. It was shipped from the UK to my mailbox here in Texas, not in a protective box but in a bubble-pack airmail envelope. Along the way it must have been dropped and dinged at least once if not taken out and read in the toilet by a postal worker. This book had a hard journey overseas and needed better protection from haphazard handling. After paying $160 it was disappointing opening the envelope to find my brand new book in less than pristine condition.

All that aside, NIX4 is every bit as good as reviewers have written here and if you order it new from Paul he'll receive his deserved support. If you live outside the UK I advise that you ask Paul to ship your copy in a box instead of an envelope to protect the investment. If you live in the UK your postal workers are nicer and you shouldn't see any damage when your book arrives.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 21:37, nique wrote:
Hey Derek!

What I mean is, it's mentioned that after you know the first 4 roles, then the 5th (by the time you get to him) is obvious through a process of elimination because you have to have known how many of each role there are to begin with (they're your envelopes after all). This is why the 5th spectator is handled through the use of a prediction. Page 34 will be the point in the routine I'm referring to here.

Think of it as already correctly returning 4 out of 5 drawings in a Sneak Thief type of routine; obviously the last drawing is the last spectator's.

My question is, do you tell the audience from the start that there are 3 truth tellers and 2 liars, before you distribute the envelopes? It should be obvious that you know, but should we openly state it as well?

~ Nique

Your answer is No, Why would it be obvious? What is on the cards is never rvealed to the audience. Check the full script and subtlties sections. What would it achieve but to take away from the effect.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
#127----hope to post thoughts soon Smile
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 02:00, Mike Ince wrote:
I received mine in the mail today. Paul explains lots of subtleties that show he's performed this many times. It's easy to understand and very good in that Berglasian way. I love doing the chair test part without using a NW. I also love using "Berglasian" in a sentence.

My only qualm has to do with the condition of the book when it arrived. It was shipped from the UK to my mailbox here in Texas, not in a protective box but in a bubble-pack airmail envelope. Along the way it must have been dropped and dinged at least once if not taken out and read in the toilet by a postal worker. This book had a hard journey overseas and needed better protection from haphazard handling. After paying $160 it was disappointing opening the envelope to find my brand new book in less than pristine condition.

All that aside, NIX4 is every bit as good as reviewers have written here and if you order it new from Paul he'll receive his deserved support. If you live outside the UK I advise that you ask Paul to ship your copy in a box instead of an envelope to protect the investment. If you live in the UK your postal workers are nicer and you shouldn't see any damage when your book arrives.

I agree with everything you said, Mike.

NIX4 is an extremely well thought out routine and extremely economical. With so little "dirty work", you get a ton of mileage.

While my book doesn't sound as banged up as yours, all 4 corners of my book were dinged. For the hefty price tag, I wish Paul had packaged the goods better.

Regards,
-AH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Paul Brook's NIX4? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL