The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DVD's? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RudyC
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of RudyC
I just came across the following web site: https://www.previewmagicdvds.com
Has anyone ever rented from this place?
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Bande
I got an anti virus warning when I clicked on the link
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Magic DVD's should not be a rental item. Almost all of them give a clear warning to that effect.

I'm not going to bother clicking on the site to even check it out, especially after reading Bande's remark above.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Doesn't look like a safe site, and as pointed out magic DVDs are not meant to be rented. So it's dodgy all around. I'd stay away. Definitely don't give them any financial information.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
There's an issue with the redirect on the homepage. Here's the site:

http://www.previewmagicdvds.com/default.......41a2gqp5

Regarding legality, here is their stance:

>I thought it's illegal to rent Magic DVDs because they say Not for Rental on them, how do you get away with this?

> First of all it is perfectly legal to rent out any DVD that is an original copy due to First Sale Doctrine.
> A company can print not for rental or anything else they desire on the DVD or DVD case, but it is not binding, it merely serves as a deterrent .
> It's similar to if someone writes patented on a product they produce, that does not necessarily mean the product is patented or bound by intellectual property protection

I don't know if it's legal or not. But if it is illegal, I would assume a complaint to their host would get the site shut down in a hurry.

I'm assuming it is illegal, or everyone would be doing it.

DD
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
It is legal to rent or lend an original DVD that you purchased under the First Sale doctrine of the US Copyright Act. It is not legal to make copies of a DVD and rent or lend those out.

Also, a home-licensed DVD is not licensed for electronic transmission of any kind. A company named Zediva tried doing this and they were sued by several Hollywood studios. A federal judge issued an injunction to stop them in August 2011. Zediva stated they would appeal, though no further rulings have yet been made and Zediva shut down its service in 2011. Companies like Netflix that do this legally pay for special licenses that allow them streaming rights.

BTW, IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer, for those not quite up to speed in internet acronyms.), etc. (Though I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a few times! Smile )

Thanks!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DVD's? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL