The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Help with a Visual Vanish of a Quarter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I'm looking for a really visual method to vanish a quarter for a routine I'm working on. It's for a vanish only, no concern about reproducing the coin at a later time. As a restaurant/bar worker, I work in close quarters, sometimes almost surrounded, elbow to elbow so to speak. Reset would be nice without playing Superman and vanishing in order to reset. Thanks to everyone for looking and perhaps responding.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8567 Posts

Profile of funsway
Need more info before suggesting a solution. By "visual" do you mean the coin must be seen directly by the spectator at the instant of vanish, or some other?

What was the coin doing before the intended vanish? Are other coins involved? etc.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Funsway, good question. Yes, someting close to what you said. I would like to have the coin visible up and until the moment it vanishes. Like having the coin on the palm of your left hand and waving your right hand over the coin, as the right hand finishes passing over the coin, it has then disappeared and both hands can instantly be shown to be empty.

It's basically a coin to impossible location routine. The spectator's coin has already been switched for another and loaded into the impossible location. Most of the dirty work has already been done and the spectator is none the wiser. The last phase is vanishing of what appears to be the spectator's coin. At the time of the vanish, there will be only one coin in play, which the spectator believes is their's.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
How about Blackout by Brian Platt
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
TKO 2.0 is a nice product, and will vanish the heck out of a coin. Maybe overkill for your needs not sure.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Ralphs007 or anyone with knowledge of Blackout by Brian Platt. The color of the shirts I wear are Black, Royal Blue, Grey and White and often I wear a 3 piect suit that includes a vest or a Tux with a vest. There are times when I don't wear a button up shirt, instead a pull over turtle neck or polo dress shirt with a sports coat. How compatible is Blackout with my selection of clothes? And how easy/difficult is the "get ready" for Blackout? Can I "get ready" while being burnt by the spectator's or is heavy misdiretion necessary?

billappleton or anyone with knowledge of TKO 2.0. Same question as with Blackout. The color of the shirts I wear are Black, Royal Blue, Grey and White and often I wear a 3 piect suit that includes a vest or a Tux with a vest. There are times when I don't wear a button up shirt, instead a pull over turtle neck or polo dress shirt with a sports coat. How compatible is TKO 2.0 with my selection of clothes? And how easy/difficult is the "get ready" for TKO 2.0? Can I "get ready" while being burnt by the spectator's or is heavy misdiretion necessary?

Again, thanks to everyone for looking and possibly responding.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8567 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have several solutions to offer -- all of which will have to be explained OffList, but first a general recommendation --

you should have several different methods prepared. Since you apparently wish to repeat and might have an overlap of spectators
it would be wise to use a different set of moves occasionally. The magic is not the vanish, but the transportation to the impossible location that could also change.
The more you can appear to present an impromptu demonstration "just for you" the more astonishing it will appear.

To this end it would seem that an "ending clean" vanish will work as well as a completely visible one.

1) a Pumpkin Seed Vanish will work with a button shirt
2) a Snap to Sleeve will work if you wear a coat
3) a number of retention type vanishes in which the off hand is displayed empty before opening the apparent holding hand. I prefer "Glide" with a quarter. How to ditch it is another matter. The key to the impact is the Preemptive Doubt approach
4) use of a Flash Feke in a number of ways
5) several methods of displaying the quarter on the left hand, closing it -- when reopened it has vanished and both hands are clean. (also an advantage for Preemptive Doubt) I prefer SwayCross.
6) a pull such as Tango PullCoin

and, the absolute best except that no one is will to do it or believe it can be done ..

Give the quarter to a spectator to hold safe. After you do something else (asynchronous) they open their hand and the quarter has vanished! I will teach this "Vanish to Empty" to anyone in a face-to-face mentoring situation only.
This would provide a "vanish from impossible location" to an "appearance in impossible location."

for the other methods contact me at gusarimagic@comcast.net
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5308 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have both Blackout and the TKO 1 & 2. Both can certainly use a bit of misdirection, though to be honest Blackout requires just about none really. The TKO, 1 or 2, involves a toss so some misdirection is needed, or you could shield the action with the opposite arm.

Dress requirements for Blackout? A black shirt or jacket. (The name "Blackout" is because this is basically a Black Arts effect). TKO 2 comes with one black and one white unit. The black unit can be used with any shirt that is dark in color, while the white works with any light colored shirt.

HTH!

Jim
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
I highly recommend Blackout because it does not require much misdirection, and pretty clean. Now another person suggested that you should get a Tango Pull Coin, which I think is a great idea if you ask about three people for a quarter or a coin.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of boydy
Raven seems to be exactly what you describe that you want
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
I was about to suggest that, but I remembered that he performs surrounded, so that would be a little risky...I LOVE the Raven though, don't get me wrong. Smile It is one of my favorite vanishing devices.
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Definitly go Raven or m5
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Yes, most of the time in the bar venues where I perform, it's done mostly surrounded. In the restaurants, very close quarters, people on both sides and in front of me at their tables. Many times I'm elbow to elbow with everyone.

The quarter I will end up vanishing is a steel core quarter. I've considered the Raven, but I've always had difficulties getting into it, unless I was using it as a opener and ready to go from the very beginning. I will not be using this particular routine as a opener.

I wear both button up shirts and pull over shirts. I don't want the type of vanish I use to be dictated by the type of shirt I wear. Nor do I want the color of my shirt to be an issue with the vanish either. More times than not, I push up my coat sleeves and unbutton and roll up my shirt sleeves, thus the method of using my coat sleeves is also unacceptable.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
What vanish did you end up choosing that involves the steel core coin?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I've experimented with every kind of coin vanish I can think of. The most visual vanish I have is my Raven! Yes, audience management is key, keeping angles of course. That done, I developed my favorite signed coin vanish to impossible location.

A steel-core quarter is sw****ed in (with my initials on it, the original coin has their initals on one side, mine on the other), and their coin is inserted into Viking's Nest Of Brass Boxes, and that is inserted into a padlocked Lippencott Box. That is brought out and placed on the table beside the steel-core quarter. Then the Raven is performed.

They open everything, and there is their signed quarter. You can vanish a coin any way you like. The VISUAL vanish really makes this, though. I know of no cleaner way than The Raven. The "hassle" is subjective. Is the vanish worth it? T.K.O.-2 or Blackout are worth considering, though.

Doug
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Doug,

How do you go about getting into the Raven, if not already ready to go from the start?
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 11:20, nonvpro wrote:
Doug,

How do you go about getting into the Raven, if not already ready to go from the start?

There is a very nice Raven Hook up that allows you to get ready on the fly, and be in jeans and a T-shirt... PM me and I will explain.....
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
659 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Nonvpro: What vanish did you end up choosing that involves the steel core coin?
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've not yet to settle on one. My main purpose of using a steel core quarter was to be able to use it in conjunction with a Trabucco Holdout.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3380 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might want to check out Josh Jay's bare hand complete vanish of a quarter. I've forgotten what he calls it, but it's great!
(No gimmicks, no magnets, no pulls etc.)

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Help with a Visual Vanish of a Quarter (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL