The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brand New Billet Box Design: "THE WHITE BOX" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
As a few Café members know, I have been working on this design for the past year, and after numerous production prototypes and performance testing, I have finally come up with a result that I am ecstatic about (thanks to feedback from several Café members)!

This is a Billet Box that is designed for stage. It can accommodate from a small number of billets to literally hundreds.
Its main purpose is to fo**e one or more billets. However, with some simple staging, it may also be used for a Q&A.
The design is based on the OM box, but with a far more modern design that looks like something you would see in the 'real world.'
In fact, to provide context, I refer to it as an "Entry Box." That's exactly what it looks like - the kind you would see for a contest or draw. It can also be referred to as a "Ballot Box" for voting, etc. The key is that it isn't made of cardboard (which screams 'home-made' and doesn't aesthetically match the look of my stage set) nor wood (which seems like a magic prop, despite some very clever solutions having been marketed in recent years).

The method is dumb-easy and 100% reliable.

I have 4 of these available in advance of their becoming widely available at an increased price.
This is not a pre-release offer, as I have them in my possession.
The only thing not available at this time, is the instruction booklet, which will be sent when completed. It will contain performance tips and a few routine suggestions.

I am selling these advanced units for $249 + shipping.

I am available to Skype, if you would like to know more about the box and its workings.
I will also post some more detailed photos in Inner Thoughts.

Cheers,

Eric
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2184 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Caveat: Eric is a friend.

I've been following Eric's product development on this (and several other products) for months and years.
Eric has been buying and trying other people's billet boxes for as long as I've known him...
I think, he's been on the search for something dependable, innocent-looking and congruent with his style.
He's found it.

I think I've seen or discussed at least half a dozen other proto-types for this box.
It's a locked ballot box, exactly as you would see for sale in an office store or in use in a supermarket or office.
It's practical. Portable. Versatile.

If you're buying this you going to use it for stage or parlour. You're not buying the secret. You already know what it is and does. You already have an idea how you're going to use this (Direct Mind Reading or Q&A or something else). I won't bother with the "this is an investment" talk. If you've looked at what else is out there you already know this is a deal.

and if you've bought anything from Eric before you know he's great to do business with.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3319 Posts

Profile of Looch
Eric showed me this on Skype about 6 weeks ago, it's a lovely piece of design that works beautifully.
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 08:07, looch wrote:
Eric showed me this on Skype about 6 weeks ago, it's a lovely piece of design that works beautifully.

Eric showed it to me too, on Skype. I bought one at once. It will arrive in a couple of days. I see endless possibilities. For me it will be a great opener with the hole audience involved.

The box can be used for both predictions and mind reading. I think it dose not look like a magic prop. I have seen other billet boxes, and they have been made of wood and looks suspicious. Eric has thought of everything, and the routines that will follow (when they are finnish), are mind-blowing and entertaining.

Actually Derren Brown has a routine in one of his stage shows, based on the same principle, and you can do the exact routine with this box. But please, do not copy the master Smile

I can`t wait to use it.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
It does look nice!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
What are the dimensions?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 12:22, DrTodd wrote:
What are the dimensions?

I'm glad you asked because in Inner Thoughts I erroneously indicated that the box is 10" square. It is, in fact 9" square.
The reason for my brain fart is that last version/prototype was a little larger on the outside, but for the final box, we managed to shrink the outside without losing space 'where it counts.' (open forum, so I'll be somewhat cryptic).

e
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18195 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Stupid question from a non-stage worker, do the materials cause any glare when on stage? would you offer any other finishes?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 12:40, IAIN wrote:
Stupid question from a non-stage worker, do the materials cause any glare when on stage? would you offer any other finishes?

No such thing as a stupid question, Iain.....oh wait....is that how that saying goes??? Smile

Stage glare has never really been an issue. To begin with, my suggested approach is to have the box set-up at the front of the stage before the show begins, so that people can drop their 'slip of paper' in the box, before the show begins. In this circumstance, if stage lighting glare is an issue, you can easily adjust/move the box to a position where it does not reflect the lighting (at least not into the audience).
When you 'use' the box during the show, it's literally less than a minute when the box is moving and in play. Conceivably, there could be a moment or two of glare (particularly if you have a follow-spot on you), but this won't blind anyone (much of the reflected light will be diminished by the material). Most importantly, any possible glare won't impede functionality (like not being able to read writing on a white board because of glare).

As for alternate colors; I played with a few ideas (including black), but this style and color most closely resembled the utilitarian model upon which it was based - a white plastic ballot box. Everything else looked like a prop. Besides, I like the name "The White Box!"

e
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3750 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's a lovely prop, Eric!

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Really lovely...I would need a natural finish, or dark mahogany...possble?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 14:03, DrTodd wrote:
Really lovely...I would need a natural finish, or dark mahogany...possble?

Let me get back to you on that.

e
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9510 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Maybe I'm wrong but the feeling I got was the purpose was to get away from a "wood" looking finish?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 15:10, Mindpro wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong but the feeling I got was the purpose was to get away from a "wood" looking finish?

Yes, it was certainly a motivation for me, as I wanted to create something that accomplished two things:

a) Looked like a utilitarian box (and as I may have mentioned, the overall look was somewhat based on an actual white plastic ballot box that I bought on eBay some years ago).
b) I wanted a box that was consistent with the overall look of my stage set-up. My tables, for instance, are also custom made, and the look is similar (although they have a smoked black finish).
My stage look is contemporary with clean lines. But I can understand how someone else might, for instance, want this to blend in with a wood-grain MPS, etc.

e
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2013-01-28 15:10, Mindpro wrote:

For him, yes, for me, no...I think there is a market for different exterior finishes....

Cheers
Todd
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I am happy to note that all but one box (at the intro price) has been spoken for.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in with positive feedback, comments, questions and suggestions!

There will be a release discounted price in a few weeks ($299), at which time I hope to have video of a presentation using the box.
For those who have asked, the eventual selling price (this Spring) will be $349 + shipping.

e
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Congratulations on this new and ingenious release Eric.

It looks fantastic!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Hugo
View Profile
New user
Texas
46 Posts

Profile of Hugo
Any update on this?
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3043 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Yes, I've just received the new production run and have a limited number of The White Box available now.
My video production guy (who is not great with deadlines) is way behind on the demo, which I had hoped to have available along with the new run of boxes so that you can see the box in action.

In the meantime, if anyone would like a closer look via Skype, I'm happy to oblige!
Just PM me and we'll set something up.

Eric
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Eric has been very helpful with me with this. I have been looking for something like this for awhile. Looking forward to receiving it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Brand New Billet Box Design: "THE WHITE BOX" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL