The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic & The Art of War (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Someone had asked Eric on the board about the availablity of Street Magic & The Art of War and Eric asked me to post here, since he's off doing street magic. Go figure.

The book that started as Street Magic and the Art of War has grown into a much larger book The Secret Art Of Magic: Strategy For Magicians, consisting of basically two books: Street Magic & The Art of War and The Secret Art of Dispersion.

The Secret Art of Magic is at the printers and is due out by the middle of December. We have posted the Introduction to Street Magic & The Art of War on http://secretartofmagic.com

Nowlin Craver
Nowlin Craver
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I've just finished reading the intro to this new book. Frankly, if I were doing street magic or considering it, I would read this book, again and again. I wish the author(s) nothing but success and as always.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Thanks for the kind words John. I truly believe Street Magic & The Art of War is a great book on street magic. (I can say that modestly because Eric wrote that part.)

However, even though this is part of the forum dedicated to street magic, and so obviously is what is focused on, I want to point out that we believe the book has great value even for people with no interest in performing street magic.

First of all, just the "book" on street magic has great information that will benefit workers of any venue. But both Eric and I believe the best and most significant part of The Secret Art of Magic is The Secret Art of Dispersion—a new approach to understanding how we manipulate human awareness. I believe this is the most comprehensive and comprehensible book on "misdirection" ever written. (I am no longer being modest. Ha.)

Nowlin Craver
Nowlin Craver
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
OK, I read the introduction to Street Magic & The Art of War...

And I can only say...WOW! You will learn more just by reading this introduction than you will get from most other sources in their entirety! (But read the intro for yourselves, don't take my word for it.)

But as for me, I can't wait for the rest of it! And I must also ask, when is the Art of Dispersion going to the printers?

Being both a teacher and student, and having written many papers and taught many classes on "understanding human perception and comprehension, as it relates to motivation and action", I will be especially interested to see what you have written on the subject.

Thanks for the update Nowlin!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I really like the introduction to the book. Seems like the Thesis is well supported by the research.

When someone gets the book, would they post a review here? I am particulary interested in the applicable nature of the book for those of us who don't perform street magic.

Thanks,
John
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Bro David,

The Secert Art of Dispersion is at the printers now. Sorry if I have been unclear, but The Secret Art of Dispersion and Street Magic & The Art of War are both sections of the the same tome The Secret Art of Magic. I guess maybe I have confused the issue by referring to them as "books." Even though they really are even treated that way (with their own indexes, etc.) to a certain extent, they are NOT separate volumes.

Hope this clears it up, and thanks for the kind words too. I appreciate your interest.

Nowlin Craver
Nowlin Craver
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
I've recently been privy to a sneak peak of this tome...

Here's a few thoughts:

Eric's Street Magic & The Art of War is THE textbook on working the streets...and yes, MANY of the "lessons" apply to MANY facets of our craft (trade-shows, strolling, stage, etc.) I believe ALL "workers" can learn something from Eric's dissertations. Others have attempted to teach street magic through the written word...Eric has succeeded...completely.

I've just begun to read part 2: The Secret Art of Dispersion, only on the second "strategy." I could stop reading now and give it a high recommendation although I'm going to do myself a favor and STUDY all of Nowlin's "translations" in detail. This is the kind of book you can read/absorb for the rest of your life.

I'm confident their discoveries are destined to change the views/approaches of many magi. It's rare that a tome of this significance is published.

Simply put: Get it.

Sincerely,
Doug Conn
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have had the pleasure of spending some time with Eric Evans and came away with the conviction that Eric is one of the deepest thinkers about all aspects of magic that I have ever come into contact with. I also count him as a friend. Eric, when are you coming back out to the left coast? I want to share a pitch with you!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Nick Alexander
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Nick Alexander
Will this book be available to get from our local dealers and if not how do we get our hands on it?

Thanks in advance
TMM
Insomniacs Dream
View Profile
New user
Port Glasgow in scotland
67 Posts

Profile of Insomniacs Dream
Looking forward to it whole heartedly

alan
If i never sleep wy does it feel like im dreaming
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
My guess is it will eventually be at your local dealer, but the quickest way to get it is to order from our website: http://secretartofmagic.com/order.htm :O)
It will be shipped to you as soon as we get the books from the printers.

Thanks,
Nowlin Craver
Nowlin Craver
Nick Alexander
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Nick Alexander
Would you be able to ship to Australia?

TMM
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Yes, it's $10 shipping
Nowlin Craver
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
Eric Evans just left town. Over the past two weeks I had the pleasure of hosting his company. Allow me to echo Jim's comments:

Quote:
Eric is one of the deepest thinkers about all aspects of magic that I have ever come into contact with

...not to mention a helluva magi-gentleman-house guest.

Now (as I segue into topic) allow me to add his partner; Nowlin Craver to the "deep thinker" list.

Regarding The Secret Art of Magic...to make a long story short, what these two men have done (IMO) is simply extraordinary. As I've already noted, in Street Magic and the Art of War Eric has penned an incredible resource for the developing (and/or professional) street magician. As also noted, it would behoove any magi-performer to read his advice. It applies to many facets of all types of "commercial magic performance" (scroll up for more commentary regarding Street Magic and The Art of War).

I just completed part two of the book: The Secert Art of Dispersion. In the first part of the book Eric opens the proverbial "Can of Worms". In part #2 Nowlin dumps out the can.

The information described throughout The Secret Art of Dispersion is unique/ground breaking and inspiring. To highly recommend it would be an understatement. Books of this significance are few and far between.

I regret that my time with the book was short lived. It deserves serious study. I'll (eagerly) await the hardcover.

Until then, I'll do my best to "protect the Chi and foster conviction".

Regards,
Doug Conn
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
662 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Thank you guys for your many complimentary remarks regarding Nowlin, myself and the book. I deeply appreciate James' and Doug's comments especially, as I hold them both in high regard. Not to mention the fact that I've "crashed" at their respective homes, anybody that can put up with me for more than a few days deserves respect. The fact that James is an accomplished writer and magician, and Doug is one of the most technically adept, personable magicians I've ever had the pleasure of knowing, makes me value their opinions all the more.

This book is the product of five years worth of thought and writing and I think most all will agree it reflects that effort faithfully.

Again, thank you all for expressing your honest opinions here, I'm just glad that they were all positive. Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Got mine on order and when I get back from the streets of New Orleans, I am sure I will have a much great understanding of the need for this valuable information.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
Just thought I'd let you know the books are finally here from the printers! :O)

The orders were mailed out today.

Nowlin
Nowlin Craver
Imperistan
View Profile
Regular user
Holland
106 Posts

Profile of Imperistan
Whoa, this sounds really good. I hope it's in the shops in Holland too, because my parents don't allow me to order things from foreign countries. Does anyone know if it's available in Holland too?
themaestro
View Profile
New user
TX
42 Posts

Profile of themaestro
As of now it's not in the shops in Holland.Smile

Nowlin
Nowlin Craver
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Anyone try Sun Tzu's the Art of War? I like James Clavell's introduction one the best. It's a good book to read for all forms of emotional/physical conquest, like magic, love, war, buisness, ect.

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic & The Art of War (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL