The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Welcome back to myself (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi everyone

As some may have noticed I have been off the scene for a couple of years. I have still had a few shows, but basically avoided performing, magic forums and the like. Well, that's over with. After over 10 years of hard grind and treating my body like a punchbag a lot of stuff caught up with me. My knee was shot, damaged so badly I would have been given a full knee replacement, I had several collapsed discs in my back, and scar tissue in my esophagus from sword swallowing that was making it difficult to swallow. All of this happened pretty much at once. It was time to take a break.

In the last couple of years I have had several surgeries and literally hundreds of hours of rehab. There is still more to be done, but I am stronger and fitter than I have been in years. And ready to get back to it.

To start the year I appeared on the BBC1 primetime show 'Britains Brightest' a few weeks ago, and wrote an article about handcuff escapes for Wired magazine yesterday. Which will be in the June issue. I also invented the phrase 'escapology womble' for the piece.

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to welcome myself back. I've been away for sometime and frankly, I missed my antics.

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Welcome Back David! I for one have missed your hard experience and sage wisdom on this forum. I hope it all works to your favor.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Thanks Cliff Smile

I seem to have failed to complete a sentence above.

Quote:
On 2013-01-29 07:32, David / straitjacket wrote:
My knee was shot, damaged so badly I would have been given a full knee replacement,
David Straitjacket

Should read:

Quote:
On 2013-01-29 07:32, David / straitjacket wrote:
My knee was shot, damaged so badly I would have been given a full knee replacement If I was older.
David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Welcome back, David!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
David- Welcome back.Don't forget the UKEA Meetingn in March. I have details if you njeed them

Mick
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
Welcome back mate. Glad to hear youre on the road to recovery. The regular Joes think what we do is all illusion & don't realise the sacrifices we put our bodies through. I hope you can make the UKEA. I sent you the details, but can resend if necessary.
It's great to have you back.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Thanks everyone. You are correct Weasel. Some of us walk the same line that pro-wrestlers walk. However much trickery is out there, it can still very real indeed, and the costs to the body can mount, as I have discovered. I have a list of injuries longer than my surgically repaired arm. Though that one at least was from falling off a unicyle while off-roading.

Funnily enough I just dropped my wife off at the hospital where she is having surgery on both feet to correct damage from years of dancing. We are taking it in turns.

Mick, it's been ages since we spoke. As it happens I need to ask you something for an idea I have. I'll pm you if you don't mind.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Welcome back David.
Hope you can make it to UKEA
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Good to see you David.

We should compare scar lengths like in lethal weapon ...... But it better not lead anywhere!

Hope to see you at UKEA take it easy and take care ...... Don't think that writing isn't dangerous though .... Paper cuts hurt like mad!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Dave! Welcome back from the other side of the pond! Good to hear you're back to "normal"
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Dave, glad you are on the mend and back at the forum.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Welcome Back! Smile
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Great to have you back here!
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Thanks again for the welcome back's Smile I'm currently researching my new show. Lots of fun new ideas to look at and try out!

My Website
Add me on facebook
ARB
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of ARB
Welcome back, David! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Welcome back to myself (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL