The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » New need some help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevegreene
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of stevegreene
Hey guys, I currently just offer a magic show for kids, I would love to jump into the art of ballooning. I think it would be a great service to provide as well as magic. I currently do not know how to make anything more than the sword or the little dog. I was wondering if anybody can help me out with some beginning dvd's and then some intermediate stuff I can work towards after that. Now if you were going to provide this service do you have a menu per say for the kids to pick from or how do you go about that?

Thanks guys! The magic Café is a great place to get help you guys are great!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
My first video instruction was Balloon Magic Made Easy 1,2, and 3 by Tricky the Clown. Sadly we lost Joe Lefler last year. Support his legacy and you won't be disappointed. Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
There are tons of videos on youtube for beginners. Some of the youtube people I like are Jonathan Fudge (yourballoonman), Michael Floyd (balloonanimals), and Holly Hopper. Start off there. Probably my favorite intermediate DVDs would be Robbie Furman Lootles (it is called Twistology something or other now) and Patricia Bunnell Twisted Critters. Everything by Don Caldwell is fantastic.

Regarding menus, I just wrote about this on another forum. I have never used a menu for philosophical reasons. Children do not get to make a lot of decisions. They don't get to choose what's for dinner, or what time to go to bed, or whether or not to go to daycare, or whether or not to wear a seat belt. For obvious reasons, most decisions are made for them. But...the only way to learn to make good decisions it to practice making decisions. So, if I tell a kid that any animal, character, or whatever, that he chooses, I will make for him - that is very empowering to a child. If he doesn't know, I will start listing things. Usually by the time I list five things, he has decided.

I said on another thread that if I'm in a hurry, I usually say, "Do you know what you want, or should I decide?" It is very rare that I decide. Most kids don't want to give up their chance to pick their own thing, so they will pick something quickly.

Also, I always always always let the child choose the color. If the kid says he wants a pink sword, and the mom says, "Pick a different color, how about blue?" I will look at the kid. If he changes to blue, I'll make it in blue. But if he doesn't, I will look at the mom and say, "It's his balloon Mom. He wants pink." I have never had a parent challenge me on this.

Even when I first started and knew how to make about 10 things, I still never used a menu because I feel strongly that kids need to be allowed to make choices when it is reasonable, and it is certainly reasonable for a child to choose which balloon design and which color he wants.
stevegreene
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of stevegreene
Thanks guys I ordered balloon magic made easy and bad to the balloon hopefully this is enough to get me started,. Do you all know a cheap and good source to buy balloons?
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
I have a few different sources. I like Tmyers.com, LaRocks, Continental, and MK Brody here in Chicago. Most places are pretty competitive with prices.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » New need some help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL