The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Using bromothymol blue (BTB) for demos/tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FerdieLance
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
2 Posts

Profile of FerdieLance
I regularly use the dye bromothymol blue (BTB) for demonstrations of things like ocean acidification and the way that carbon dioxide (in the form of carbonic acid) acidifies the blood. It's nifty stuff!

I saw a site suggesting a preparation to make a sensitive 'voice-activated' color change when an audience member speaks into the container, saying, "TURN YELLOW!" Has anybody else tried this? Has BTB been particularly temperamental in your hands?
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Hi FerdieLance,
I looked up the reference on the web. The experiment used phenol red and suggested also trying bromothymol blue. It looked like it would take a fair amount of talking before the colour change would happen.
For a voice activated change, I used a "clock reaction" like in "Clear water, black water" or "Instant Ink", which instantly changes from colourless to black as you say the magic words. It gives great reactions.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Using bromothymol blue (BTB) for demos/tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL