The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Specific Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
HELP!!!

Okay, got that out of my system. Now let me explain. Smile

I've been clowning for years. My focus has been on magic and comedy.

Sure I twist balloons. I know the basic twists have a well stocked balloon rig and can follow along with instructions on videos and DVDs.

Now, I have booked two restaurants a week that are just balloons.

I made it through the first week fine and had a lot of fun but I found out I have to get way better FAST.

I need to be much quicker and have better designs.

I did some Buster Balloon Ladybug Bracelets, some monkey on a tree hats, princess crowns, along with lots of swords, cats and dogs.

Here is what I need.

I plan to get a lot of DVDs over the next few months and am scouring YouTube for all the good instructions.

So I need some specific advice:

First, what DVDs would you get first. I know there are plenty of good ones out there and I want them all. I'm not trying to see whats good vs. bad but rather priorities.

I want to know which you would purchase FIRST if you were in my shoes.

Second, I want to make sure the interaction and performance is fun too. I am in clown and have my clown schtick down well. I'm comfortable and have my throw away lines for my magic and goofy props. I just need to polish my balloon twisting one liners and entertainment. Who is someone to watch for just all around fun? DVD, YouTube or anywhere. I want to be as fun and funny twisting a balloon as I am doing the Invisible Deck or sponge balls.

I'm sure I'll be back on here with more questions but that'll do for now.

It is fun to have restaurants and a lot of work. I'm really looking forward to learning and stretching my performance muscles.

Thanks in advance and I know you guys are way better than I am, so please don't worry about being too basic or anything. I'm here to learn and will be grateful for any help. I don't plan to argue points or anything I just want to learn.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I would purchase Speed Twisting by Ken Stillman. These are impressive designs that can be done in just a few minutes. Also, all of the designs are fairly similar, or they build on one another. So once you know the concept, you can use it for several different things.

Don Caldwell had some great youtube tutorials and he is fun to watch, but I think he made them all private. He is on here from time to time, so you could email him and ask if you could seem them.

I hope that helps some.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2013-02-01 15:58, Karen Climer wrote:

I hope that helps some.

Thank you!

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
I still really love Mark Byrne's Bad to the Balloon Volume 1 & 2. There's lots of great balloons on there that don't take forever to twist. Mark's on this forum a lot and can probably let you know more about them.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Great suggestions so far. Would love to know what others think. I'm ordering some DVDs this week.

Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
Dvds

Mad hatz wild wearbles 1-5 are all great. Number 4 is the best of them all but a little harder to get.

Ken stillman princesses, hitchhiker hats and superheroes are all great as well. Especially the super heroes.

I second smarty on bad to the balloon, great for quicker twisting.

The designs on Hearts and rounds 1&2 are PERFECT for restaurants

Also, there is tonnes of great stuff on all these free youtube channels channels:

Unicaw39
Dylan gelinas
Chitwister
David brenion
Flowerclown
Holly hopper
Matt falloon
Mrbomasballoons
Mrpocketsballoons
Mrbouncyballoons

Hope this gives you a few more designs
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
YES! You guys are great! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I am looking for. Please keep them coming.

Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
IF you're looking to make some really great balloons, I'm still a little old fashioned in recommending Captain Visuals Balloon books. They are great. There are two of them - both probably out of print, but available used on Amazon for about $20 each. If you start at the beginning of the books, and complete every balloon model until the last page, I guarantee you will be making better balloons than most of the clowns out there. The books start easy and end with some nicely done balloons that look more elaborate than they really are. I started with this book and still swear by it, even though there's so many DVDs and YouTube videos available now.

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Visuals-Bi......06516410
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Table turn is the enemy of the the twister....

If a waitress can't handle a station, managment will help or get others to help that person. WTF (who the Frig) is going to help us when in the weeds?

I do 15 to 20 creations per hour on demand... meaning their choice f anything. If I am really busy I can do 25-30 my choice. Not as much fun but it is work.

Have a list you can rattle off.... Boys: sharks, dinosaurs, Spiderman Girls: Swans, dolphin, mermaids BOTH: monkeys, lions tigers and bears.... oh my!!

Most of those creations are between 30 seconds to 3 minutes to make.

• My biggest problem in restaurants is my mouth... I'll start yakking and time flies by.

• Keep an eye on your time... use a stop watch to time your self.

• Organize your balloons so you aren't digging into bags to look for something.

• Use expo click erasable markers... one hand easy no cap to pull off or put on.

• I use a Kazoo to play Jeopardy theme song for kids you can't make a decision.

GoodLuck
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Specific Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL