The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Doug Dyment's "Idiopraxis" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I'm pleased to announce the current availability of Idiopraxis, my latest book, a collection of effects and tools for the psychic entertainer.

You can read about the content, and peruse some early reader feedback, via my Deceptionary site. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

I hope you enjoy my latest effort; it contains a number of pieces that those familiar with my work have been asking me to put into print for some time now!
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Great news, Doug, I was waiting for that moment and have ordered just a minute ago Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Sigh - trying to save money - but just went and sent the moolah for I buy all DD books as soon as they come out - as they always seem to be full of things I can actually use in real life presentations...

I'm sure this will be the same!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 18:57, Dr Spektor wrote:
Sigh - trying to save money - but just went and sent the moolah for I buy all DD books as soon as they come out - as they always seem to be full of things I can actually use in real life presentations...

:)
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Doug is one person to whom I am happy and privileged to shove money at.

I'm looking forward to reading this. It'll be the usual great thinking, I'm sure.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Placed my order!
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 18:57, Dr Spektor wrote:

Same here. This is a must-have for me as well.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Mine's on the way as well.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I'm glad Doug decided to publish this. I've never regretted any purchase from Doug Dyment and have been so happy with the volume of usable material in each of the four books I own so far. It's amazing how quiet people here can be about his work. His standards for publication are high and the material is always strong, well thought-out, explained clearly, scrupulously credited... a great value. I expected "On the Square" to be a separate release and would have been glad to buy it alone for the same price as this new collection.

I just read Banachek's review/endorsement on the product page. Some of you "ex-magi" know that wonderful anticipation you used to feel when you were kids as you leafed through an Abbott's magic catalog? I'm feeling a bit of that now as I read the description of Idiopraxis. The book is on its way to me.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Add me to the "can't wait" list.
Doug's work on the square will no doubt be terrific... but those little 'throw away' bits at the bottom caught my eye.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I hoped to see this in my mailbox this past Saturday. It's gotta' be today! Mmmmm... good eatin' awaits. Pass the gravy.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I received this book in yesterday's mail and read through it over the course of a day. It will take time to try the effects I like the most, but here are my initial impressions:

"On the Square". For the first time last night I created a magic square without a crib. I'm pumped. I expect to use this tool for the rest of my life. I'll certainly include my square presentation more often, especially when working up-close. That's not to say I couldn't use this on stage. It works anytime, anywhere.

"The Natal Square". A personalized square for readers to give to their clients. Giving readings isn't my cup of tea so I only skimmed the pages of this one.

"Penney's From Heaven". I've tried this with several friends since yesterday. I love it. This casual effect plays well as a prediction, a display of intuition or as a psychic bar bet. Titanic Thompson would have loved this. I'm a little amazed that it works. If I were a barfly I'd use this to hustle drinks.

"The Zenith Stack." An algorithmic stack for Zener cards. Doug's first Zener card stack was published in his book Tricyclic. This new one features a simpler procedure with fewer rules to apply yet maintains its random appearance. Unlike other sequential stacks, The Zenith Stack uses all 25 cards. The math is super easy - don't be intimidated. Compared to earlier stacks it's also much easier to determine a card in the reverse direction. Finally, Doug gives a sample mnemonic you may use to memorize the Zenith Stack should you choose to do so (assembling the stack from memory can speed up putting it in order from a mixed pack of cards). I can use this.

If you're adroit with the Zenith Stack, you can perform the next two effects. "ESPerimental": this one's so simple it's tempting to overlook it but I can tell it's strong for participants. Then there's "Couplet" (which can easily be performed without the Zenith Stack). Simple, lovely, and appealing. I like performing effects like this with couples. It makes me feel warm inside, like I've kissed someone after drinking hot chocolate.

"Menologue". Just what it says in the ad. A hands-off diary effect. Read the description; the effect plays out exactly as described. Note that the date chosen is a random one and therefore lacks the personal connection of Bob Cassidy's effect. Many performers will find that little compromise worth the final outcome but some will not. I can think of ways to restore a personal touch to the presentation. I think this would have fooled me had I seen it first.

"BikeMarks". A marking system that's easy and inexpensive to apply that can be read from a greater distance than most. What's not to like? If for some reason you don't use the BikeMarks method and decide to use, say, Bob Farmer's system, Doug's already done research to help you find marking tools that match your Bicycle deck and I find value in that; it'll save me time and money. As usual, Mr. Dyment has gone the extra mile in explaining tips and other options to help you personalize and maximize this system.

"The Vision". The lovechild of one of my favorite Harry Anderson effects coupled with the classic "Fred" card effect. It uses a devilish principle borrowed (with permission) from a genius creator whose last name begins with a K. This one is TV-worthy.

Pardon me for not finding much to complain about from Idiopraxis. I found three new tools I can use to help with effects I already do. I also found four new performance pieces that fit my persona. I'm not sure which ones I'll use the most but I'm having a blast with one of them already and I've only had the book for about 30 hours. Considering I paid a little less than $40 shipped, the value of this little book is hard to beat.

-Mike
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
((Looks in mailbox)) Waugh
Well, I am in Canada - hope mine gets here for a good weekend read - mike ya lucky sonavagun Smile
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Haha... I'm in Canada too and I received mine Friday.
Unfortunately due to family chaos I haven't had a chance to read it yet--
Thanks for the sneak preview Mike!... Sorry doc.

d
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey d where in Canada are you?
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Van City my friend.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Thanks to all for the kind words being expressed about my latest book.

Now that it is beginning to show up in folks' mailboxes (other than dmoses', who is less than 25 miles from me), this would be a good time to remind folks that all of my products have supplemental pages on The Deceptionary. The section for Idiopraxis is already the equivalent of 7 additional pages. And there's one item there that might even cause Mike to revisit "The Natal Square". Smile
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Howdy,

Mine arrived today to and I consumed it - yum!

The Natal Square is a most wonderful thing... but all the square-tech provided is top notch - and the a-p thing one can also do by memorizing the graphic patterns too...fun fun fun! I will practice that... and Vision I like a lot as well... especially like the sneaky mental coin routine... I love gambling items and this one looks like a killer... I'll try it out tomorrow!

Bravo sir!

Bruce

dmoses - v city? guess you hang with Christopher and gang!!!
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Hey Doc... I do whenever I get the chance. There's a veritable coven of us here now that Doug's arrived.
:)
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Here's an update on the supplemental section for Idiopraxis. As of today, this is now in excess of ten pages of additional material, so take a look if you haven't checked recently.

There are definitely some items that shouldn't be missed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Doug Dyment's "Idiopraxis" (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL