The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » John Scarne C&B (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Just discovered this YouTube C&Bs video of John Scarne. I could be wrong, but some of the moves look similar to Al Schneider's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBvuQZm5AzY
IvanLee
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of IvanLee
Oh, Mark.It must be great

But I can see it now...I need to download a software firt to approach Youtube...
the G.O.V has blocked the website LOL
IvanLee
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of IvanLee
Quote:
On 2013-02-03 13:52, IvanLee wrote:
Oh, Mark.It must be great

But I can see it now...I need to download a software firt to approach Youtube...
the G.O.V has blocked the website LOL

oh ,i have wathed it.
I don't know whether his move is similar to Al Schneider's, but the presentation and the details are so well in the video.
I like it!!!!
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
156 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
There's another Scarne cups and balls video on Youtube all about fast sleight of hand....the one you posted is way better even if I cannot find any similarity with the Schneider moves....
I think Dai Vernon was the one who took Cups and Balls and transformed it in a real work of magical art, not only a mere performance of skill! Isn't it?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Vernon's routine is based very heavily on Max Malini's, I believe, which was not only a mere performance of skill. But I know what you mean about most routines prior to Vernon.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 22:49, Ray Haining wrote:
Vernon's routine is based very heavily on Max Malini's, I believe, which was not only a mere performance of skill. But I know what you mean about most routines prior to Vernon.

I feel embarrassed to have to contradict you but facts are stubborn
My friend Johnny Thompson kindly searched Charlie Miller's paper in his posession at my request. Charlie Miller had everything written known to have been performed by Max Malini. It appeared that there were only two phases constantly in Max Malini's routine. One of them is demonstrated along Johnny Thompson's routine on his DVD series.
Dai Vernon's routine stems entirely and in the same sequence from Jean Caroly [aka Jean-Auguste Faugeras] Tours Facile d'Escamotage published by A - L Guyot in 1900 in Paris France, except for the Silent Mora's wand spin and what made the routine such a success: The Professor's personality, script and charm. When timing his various filmed performances, we found out that about one third of the routine is used in his personal introductory patter.

May I kindly and respectfully ask that when you put forward a source, you take the trouble checking that you are not just spreading a groundless rumor. It doesn't do any good to anyone including yourself.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Lawrence,

Your knowledge of magic and it's history continues to amaze me. It is often mentioned that the Vernon routine stemmed from Max Malini. Do you happen to know where this false statement came from? How did it get legs and get all over the place?
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
156 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Lawrence...thanks for your interesting comments....wow man, you are the real deal about magic history Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » John Scarne C&B (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL