The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 1099-MISC for assistants? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I had assistants for one of my shows. I paid them for rehearsals also. Do I need to make 1099's for them??
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9640 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Did you contract them? How much did each of them earn? I also think you may be past the deadline.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
If the made more than $600 you have to 1099 them. Less than $600 can be under the table. BUT if you are going to deduct what you paid them then the 1099 is your only proof of payment. Don't you just love the IRS rules.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1801 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 05:33, Paddy wrote:
If the made more than $600 you have to 1099 them. Less than $600 can be under the table. BUT if you are going to deduct what you paid them then the 1099 is your only proof of payment. Don't you just love the IRS rules.

If your assistants made less than $600 for the year, you can still deduct their pay without using a 1099 as long as you have proof of payment. In my case, I always paid by check and kept copies of the imaged check after it cleared. (My bank stop forwarding me the actual cleared check years ago.)
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I do the same as Michael. The 1099's are supposed to be out by the end of January but as long as you get them out pretty quick you'll be ok. Don't forget your transmittal. I'll do a disclaimer for all of us. Remember non of us are tax experts. Take our guidence at your own risk. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19819 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
ASK AN ACCUNTANT!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 12:44, Dannydoyle wrote:
ASK AN ACCUNTANT!

That's obscene! If that doesn't work ask an accountant. Sorry couldn't resist. But Danny is right.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19819 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It never ceases to amaze me the things people think to ask on an online magic forum.

Eldon that is cool, you can't say it enough.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
And if you asked an Accountant they would also tell you the DEADLINE for any Forms has been extended and now have to be Postmarked by February 28, 2013. The Dealines were extended thanks to our government and the late breaking tax extensions.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2662 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
And then the Accountant would say, if you 'hired' them as employees, you will need to provide a W2, not a 1099. However if they were contracted, you need the 1099. Or if it is a small amount just count it as labor under other expenses.

and then he would say, that will be $179.00. Smile

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19819 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh lord thanks for proving my point guys.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 1099-MISC for assistants? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL