The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Animal Trap (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brianherb1
View Profile
New user
New York City
15 Posts

Profile of brianherb1
I was thinking about incorporating an animal trap into my the finale of my street performance. I wanted to get your opinions on whether having an actual trap is too dangerous to perform on the street.

Without giving too much away, I would actually be placing a deck of cards inside the trap. I intend to warn my audience not to approach the trap under any circumstances and to stress that it is a real, working trap. I'm also going to place it on a fold up stool so that there is no risk of someone stepping on it by accident. Do you guys think that that's enough?
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Don't do it the liability sucks!!! Just kidding.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm assuming (!!) that you are referring to what Abbott callS the DARING SPRING TRAP.

I've used it inside on platform shows,but never in a street situation. An adult tip would probably have more sense than to mess with it, but if you have kids, or young teens, you could possibly have a problem.

A lot depends on how YOU can control the situation!

GEEK stuff might not be covered by liability insurance.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
brianherb1
View Profile
New user
New York City
15 Posts

Profile of brianherb1
The trap I'm using is only slightly stronger than Abbott's, but the main thing about it is that it is larger. This is important because I can actually fit a deck of cards in it. I have sprung the trap on my hand before, and although it does not cause permanent damage, it does hurt a lot. I should also emphasize that unlike abbott's trap, in my routine the trap doesn't actually close on my hand. It is much more similar to Penn and Teller's performance.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I've done this on the street under the guise of "The World's Most Dangerous Card Trick". An effect where the spectators chosen card ends up pinned to my hand by the trap. This is the routine that I developed the "staple a dollar bill to your forehead" hat line for.

I got a fairly good reaction out of it and had a lot of fun doing it. The trap was under my control at all times. so I didn't worry about anyone else fiddling with it. I wouldn't leave a set trap out anywhere where someone could get close enough to touch it as they are dangerous and can seriously hurt someone.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
brianherb1
View Profile
New user
New York City
15 Posts

Profile of brianherb1
I was also thinking about putting the trap inside a clear plastic box, so that people don't have access to it.
The other issue here is that ideally, I would like to set the trap and put the cards in, and then get chained up.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I also came up with a version of this and performed this over the years on the streets.
ironic Master Payne I too call it "The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick" more recently I filmed my performance at Twilight Cabaret in the UK.
Great minds think alike I know you have never seen me perform this and I have never seen you perform yours. Smile
It was great fun sharing the stage with you last year in Las Vegas
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I will also add that I never had trouble performing this on the street mind you I use the Classic spring trap.
I have used it to close street show's I prefer to use it in the middle of my show.

What you are talking about Brian with this bigger trap sounds to me like a whole different kettle of fish!
Danger finale plays well on the street if you can deliver it well. The rest is just crowd management.
I like your clear box idea!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I've recently decided to add it to my act actually, just keep it where they cant get to it and tell the children straight up not to touch one of these ever because they are very dangerous. start by putting a pencil in it, when they see the pencil snap they'll realize it can do some damage.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Funny, I have also performed this on the streets as The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick in different variations over the years. It goes over quite well. I even let a spectator set the trap the in some situations. I do this if I can find a hunter in the audience, this is often the case in Sweden and Denmark. This turns often into funny situations because they are not used to this kind of trap.
Once a big guy took the challenge to put his hand in the trap. He had hands like basket balls. Go ahead I said, thinking he was joking. He cleverly put his fist in the trap as it was snapping. Of course I made sure that he got all the applauds.
This is an interesting routine for the streets but there are several problems to be solved in the different faces if you want it to play really well, most prominently the demonstration of the danger and the finnish. It is not so good just to let it snap your hand.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
By the way I never warn them not to touch the trap. On the contrary after the demonstration I invite them and encourage them with some funny lines.
If you are familiar with The 36 Strategies this is Open The City Gates and has an interesting psychology strengthening the routine if you play on it. Only once did it back fire as I described above, but even that time it turned out well with a different hero in the story.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I am pleased to announce in the next twenty four hours I will be releasing one of my routines for FREE "The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick"
This will be in the form of written instructions step by step explaining how I do it!
Better still Master Payne has given me permission to publish his routine alongside my own!
So that is two different routines called the "The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick"
and guess what - its FREE.
Mario
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
And how does one get this fabulous freebie, Mario?
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks you to get FREE written tutorial of The Worlds Most Dangeours Card Trick or you have to do is subscribe to my news letter and blog. http://eepurl.com/hhaAE
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 18:51, brianherb1 wrote:
I have sprung the trap on my hand before, and although it does not cause permanent damage, it does hurt a lot.

:lol:
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
In my routine there is a perfectly natural reason for the trap not to hurt as much, see if you can work it out why. Also there is a way to release tension from the trap, I thought best not to post how on hear. So if you like the tip, email me don't pm me on hear I hardly ever check them on hear!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My TRAPS-A-Monte-Mental routine is available again. Uses 3 traps.
$3 for the PDF. World Famous routine but off the market for awhile. It's back!
PM for the paypal address.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Bryan_Kelly
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Bryan_Kelly
I've wanted to use traps for years. Now that I'm busking full time this is probably a good time. I wonder if I can get a trap shipped to asia. Where are you guys purchasing yours from? I heard Abbot so far...
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Here are two routines you can read for FREE.
One is Master Paynes the other is my own.
Please do sign us to my blog while you are visiting.
https://mariomorrisblog.wordpress.com/20......-tricks/
tommeepickles
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
165 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
I have done it in New Orleans to easily stop people by a large rat trap. I would also put a bill in it to further interest people. It did bring the delinquent tap dancing kids around to want to attempt to get the bill out. I stopped using it because a discovered things that work for me better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Animal Trap (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL