The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Bird Watcher & Squeeze-Play (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
Hi Guys,

In my search for finding Tenyo I've stumbled upon some fake Tenyo. I already heard about it from Killertweety's blog, but this time they've copied bird watcher.
As usual with Chinese knock-offs the quality is extremely bad. Glue sticks out, paper comes off the plastic, the black fabric is torn, ...
Secondly, I also bought Squeeze-play, which seemed to be a knock-off also. Same issues here about the quality but cannot go into more detail without revealing the trick.

I did buy it from a webshop who even includes a translation. On their website they didn't say it was not a real Tenyo (and ofcourse the box was not shown). It's a complete ripp-off, don't buy it!
Pictures you can see below:

Click here to view attached image.
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Peterger,

What you may have is an authorized remake by Eddy's magic out of Hong Kong.

Do a search for Eddy on this section of the Café and you might find some threads where we talked about the versions of the Tenyos.

If I remember right some were made better than others.

For sure Bird Watcher is a Tenyo all should have. It is in my top ten. I have a genuine one to sell if you want.

John
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
On Squeeze Play the surface of the plates make a difference.

The early plates were smooth but later they changed the plate to have a slight texture and that version is easier to perform.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
You´re perfectly right in complaining. A well known dealer in Germany is selling those rip offs as well - I ordered a few of them just to check the quality and it´s indeed way worse than anything from a cheap Chinese magic set.
In fact, the quality is so outright awful they can´t be authorized in any way, imho.

http://www.magic-factory-essen.de/sparte......her.html
http://www.magic-factory-essen.de/restek......lay.html

A few years ago the dealer even advertised them with pictures showing actual Tenyo items; fortunately they changed this meanwhile.

However, in one case they claim Tenyo to be the manufacturer, however the picture clearly shows a fake:
http://www.magic-factory-essen.de/sparte......ver.html

Check this site as well:
http://magicfakers.blogspot.de/search?q=tenyo
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza

INTERESTING, VERY INTERESTING.

If you compare the package for Bird Watcher that peterger bought to an actual Eddy's package of Mini Morphosis on Stereo's site, you can see that on the peterger package they erased "Eddy's" from Eddy's Presents"

So the one that peterger bought and probably Nicolino's version as well are ripoffs.

Ironically a ripoff of a replica not the original Tenyo. It is two generations away from the real Tenyo.

I am pretty sure that Eddy's reproductions were legit like the ones we see from Milton Bradley Magic Works, Doug Henning or Marvin's Magic.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#16
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Info here for you guys again regarding Eddy's.

Eddy's were not authorized re-makes, They are not reproductions or remolds.
Eddy's was merely a big distributor for the Tenyo items, the outer boxes were re-branded for the Hong Kong market. The Tenyo items inside are identical and were imported from Japan. They all came with English instructions.

How do I know all this? I worked there in 2001. Eddy's had their own stores also some were operated from specialized stands inside Toys'r'us stores. I still have in my possession a brochure introducing the range, showing the point of sales displays etc, my uniform, and a photo of the stand. Eddy's sold their own range of standard items(similar to Adams or Royal magic), and the Tenyo range was marketed as a high end range.

Now, yes there were counterfeit ones around shortly after, they were made by chinese toy companies trying to capitalize on Eddy's success with the Tenyo range, naturally with the poor plastics hardly any of them worked. I had customers bring them in asking me how to make it work, I told them it's fake, they were about 1/4 of the price to the real Tenyo.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2431 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Interesting, thanks!
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Sounds like something for the book.

What a fat book this will be. ;–)
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2431 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I don't think I'll deal much with illegal copies. There's too much original Tenyo to dwell on.
John Mazza
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of John Mazza
Eddy's was legit (Not Illegal) just like Doug Henning pieces.
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
I'm quite sure this is not a legitimate copy. The quality is beyond imagination.
@Nicolino: that is exactly the shop I bought them from. They even include their own translations to German.
Well, anyway...I'm sure you will not buy this...
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
It seems there is still some confusion.

John Mazza is correct Eddy's are legitimate, at the end of the day it's just marketing/branding for the Hong Kong market. The picture of the Mini Morphosis shows a legit item.

The fakes that came afterwards copied the box artwork from Eddy's packaging, hence the common mix ups.
However as you can see from Peterger's image the Logo on the upper right is NOT of Eddy's, that is one way to tell if it's a fake.
If you ever get to hold the item in hand, the cheap construction will be a dead giveaway.
Also you will find that "Created and Manufactured by Tenyo, Japan" will be missing from the fakes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Bird Watcher & Squeeze-Play (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL