The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Velvet Expanse by LokI Kross (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
616 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of a manuscript called The Velvet Expanse by LokI Kross.

The manuscript is intended as a supplement or extension to the material contained on the Fax DVD. It goes into some great detail regarding the history of the Fax principal and how it was implemented into the magic and entertainment arena. It also goes into the psychology of the effects that can be created using the principal and how to make it work far above and beyond what was included in the Fax DVD. As a bonus LokI has included a space/time effect using the Fax principle that should absolutely floor laymen.

I have used several of the Fax effects from the DVD in my nightly shows and they are fantastic, but I have found that using the Fax principle in my other original effects make them even stronger. I would highly encourage you to get a copy and read The Velvet Expanse. It's pretty powerful and thought provoking stuff.

It is my understanding that Penguin Magic will be making the manuscript available free of charge to people who have purchased Fax from them. I also believe that LokI may be willing to provide it to you free if your purchased it from him (with proof of said purchase).

I had some private email exchanges with LokI and originally some of this material was to be released as a DVD for sale but Fax has done so well that he felt like it is important to give something back to the magic community.

LokI seems like a pretty class act to me and his magic and effects are well thought out and powerful. I will be looking forward to his future releases.

Dannicus
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
616 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
I should have said in my post above that it is my understanding that this manuscript/lecture notes will be released in the next couple of weeks.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thank you for this post Dannicus!

The lecture notes are NOW available in ALL FAX owners Penguin Boxes.

Thank you to everyone again!

Hopefully the psychological discussions will start happening here, regarding these principles.

LokI
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Sounds fantastic.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I got my FAX from Penguin but haven't received the notes in MyPenguin yet.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hi Bern!

I may be a little busy today, (My BDay Smile ), but if you send me an email, I can see that you get it ASAP! Most likely this afternoon.

Best,
LokI
MBrook3902
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of MBrook3902
Go MY PENGUIN MAGIC and scroll down to FAX. Click on LEARN and it will show up as a .pdf file.
I downloaded mine yesterday.

MB
It takes 4 to 6 minutes for the brain to die without oxygen. I can fix anything in that amount of time.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thanks MB!

I personally did not buy any Smile lol. So I couldn't "see" it to answer the question.

Thank you for the assistance!
LokI
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
This is easy to get and a great bonus thanks LokI!
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thanks Bill!

You channeled your inner "Dan Hauss" with the UCCU comments. So I added them. (Dan was at the shoot playing with the 2, when I made this DVD. But of course, we couldn't add it to the dvd. Lol.)

LokI
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2251 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Loki,

I had the same problem, just purchased, but don't see it under MY PENGUIN LIVE.

Any chance you can send me the pdf.

I will email you

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hey Alex, I sent you the PDF earlier today. I hope it reached you well.

LokI
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2251 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I will take a look.

Thanks

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
I have some questions regarding Fax and The Velvet Expanse. I hope I'm posting this in the right thread!

I want to purchase Fax, but the postage costs to overseas customers are very high - sometimes doubling the price of the product! Is there a specific reason for this? (Other members of the Café - in this thread and others - seem to be concerned about the fact that certain effects aren't available in their countries.) Eg:
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 08:53, pegasus wrote:
Is this a penguin exclusive or will other vendors world wide have this at some stage?

Quote:
On 2012-12-24 12:24, pegasus wrote:
My concern is when will it be distributed overseas?

and LokI replied:
Quote:
On 2012-12-24 15:06, lokikross wrote:
[...]

@ Pegasus and Nathanael: Fax is exclusive to Penguin. I do not know how fast they are internationally but if you were a pre-release, it should be on its way. If you Pre-Ordered, it says the 27th they will be shipping out. I do not know more, as I do not even have my copies yet Smile

[...]

So Fax is exclusive to Penguin! Is that what 'P3' means, other than "Practice, practice, perform"? (I notice that Dan Harlan's Vortex is a P3 release and, reading between the lines, it seems from that thread ( http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30 ) that Penguin have exclusive rights to it, too.) I have heard from someone who has it that The Velvet Expanse has some potentially dangerous information on it. (This seems to be born out by the quotes below.) Is that why Fax is exclusive to Penguin?
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 01:13, lokikross wrote:
The Lecture Notes are finished.

It is called "The Velvet Expanse".

[...]

1. A new forward, with new information. Which will make a distinction very clear, this is the highly psychological, dark/gray side to these skills.

[...]

4. An entire section on how the Spectator's Logic works within the context of this skill, and how to re-arrange, and manipulate that logic into belief is included.

( A SPECIAL Thanks to Jerome Finley for making me feel comfortable in sharing some of this information. Much Love!)

5. Because of the prior, there will be a small section on the power that comes with Taking Someone's Reality and Delivering Them Into Your Own. (Dangerous, use nicely Smile )

Quote:
On 2013-02-04 17:49, Dannicus wrote:
[...]

I would highly encourage you to get a copy and read The Velvet Expanse. It's pretty powerful and thought provoking stuff.

[...]

I'm not trying to be speculative here - I'm just curious (and concerned). From the quotes below, I assume that Fax is produced by PaperCrane, and that this was the first P3 release - as such, I am sure there were a lot of things to work out. However, I don't see LokI on the Papercrane artist page like other people I know have released effects through P3 (eg. Dan Harlan, Kyle Marlett, Bizzaro, etc). Is there a reason for this?
Quote:
On 2012-12-14 15:51, Cameron Francis wrote:
I saw it in action at the Papercrane Studios this past summer.

[...]

Quote:
On 2012-12-17 15:58, saysold1 wrote:
This is being released by P3 I think - which stands for PRACTICE, PRACTICE PERFORM. It is their first release.

[...]

My main concern is that I always want to make sure that I am supporting the creators of effects (in this case LokI). I also want to ensure that I buy Fax from a source that will let me obtain The Velvet Expanse. (I read on this thread that it has to be bought from Penguin or LokI.) Does that mean that LokI sells copies himself? (I have seen copies of Fax on eBay and other sites selling this cheaper. So did they get it from Penguin, and would I be entitled to a copy of The Velvet Expanse if I bought from them?)

What is the best approach I can take to getting Fax and The Velvet Expanse without paying double the cost for them?

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this!

Rich
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hi Rich!

I will do the best that I can to answer your questions.

Thank you for your interest!

I apologize that it has been more difficult to obtain. That was never my intention. I really worked hard to make sure this information was presented to the public in the best way.
I feel that it has been successful, but I understand the difficulties outside markets must be feeling.

I do not know exactly how P3 came about, who owns it, ect. I really don't. I originally made this with Papercrane, that is all I know.
I would like to think Penguin has helped to make it very successful, so I am thankful for their hard work.

I could not speculate how it could do in other markets, but I have expressed my desire to make it available everywhere.
Not from greed, but from the amount of requests I get from magicians I want to please.

This is not the type of information you slowly spread around, it just "happens" and is "out there to find", so I do not think it is that "nefarious", or customs related.

As for Ebay, I don't know. It has to be a bootlegging situation. As I know Penguin controls it. So I would ask that you still buy it from them. That is the only way I make anything.
I do not have copies to sell, except for a small amount of lecture copies. So I wish I could be of more assistance.

But if you do get it from Penguin, TVE is accessible, if you obtained it another way; well I may have to ask a few qquestions before I just send a copy of TVE.

Thank you for your inquiry Rich! I hope I was able to help,
LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Your question was very thorough too!
Well thought out. Smile

I hope I did it justice with my answer.

Let me know if I can help,
LokI
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
Thank you for your prompt reply, LokI. And for the compliment Smile

Quote:
On 2013-02-24 12:44, lokikross wrote:
[...]

I apologize that it has been more difficult to obtain. That was never my intention. I really worked hard to make sure this information was presented to the public in the best way.
I feel that it has been successful, but I understand the difficulties outside markets must be feeling.

[...]

Please don't feel you have to apologise! I'm glad that Fax has been so well received by the magic community. However, I like to think that if I worked for a publisher and someone had come to me with what appears to be such a strong effect, I would have realised the potential of its success and would have treated them royally. It does not seem to be the case here!

Quote:
[...]

I could not speculate how it could do in other markets, but I have expressed my desire to make it available everywhere.
Not from greed, but from the amount of requests I get from magicians I want to please.

[...]

It seems to me that both you, and those of us who are overseas and want to purchase Fax and The Velvet Expanse, have been let down by the situation. I'm not trying to imply that it's anybody's fault, more the way the situation has developed. I really hope, therefore, that it's made available globally much sooner rather than later... (On the Dan Harlan's Vortex thread, he wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 12:33, DanHarlan wrote:
I don't know if Penguin has any plans to open Vortex up to a wider distribution or not... that is entirely up to them.

Please, Penguin, open up Fax to a wider distribution!)

Quote:
[...]

As for Ebay, I don't know. It has to be a bootlegging situation. As I know Penguin controls it. So I would ask that you still buy it from them. That is the only way I make anything.

I do not have copies to sell, except for a small amount of lecture copies. So I wish I could be of more assistance.

[...]

As for the copies on eBay, I'll avoid them at all costs, as if they're bootlegged surely anybody who buys them is doing the magic community a disservice!

Rich
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I am always pleased to find someone so impassioned with the art Rich!

Thank you for the "Royally" statement. It is appreciated. Smile
I will just say, they have been very nice to me during its release.
And I hope that we continue to have a good relationship!

Sometimes people do not know what to expect, when they put something out. (especially if it is original thinking) So they are more tacit about it.
I was confident about my idea; hopefully, now, the confidence vs.the reality will push it to a bigger market. I really don't know. It seems like it would do well, and limit the ebay stuff.
(plus make me some friends across the pond Smile )

Thank you for avoiding the ebay. It's probably not a big deal. I have only seen a handful of copies.
If it hits some decent shops oversea, I am sure that would dry up the ebay.
It is probably how people are avoiding the shipping, but it does me no good. Smile

So thank you for making such an impassioned statement!
And I hope it becomes available to you, more conveniently, very soon.
I believe the info on the dvd is hard to quantify the value, to some it would be worth the price with shipping.
But I cannot expect everyone to just take "the leap of faith", so I see where you are coming from.

Thank you for collaborating all of this info.
I am sure it is the best way to get an answer, (Better than mine, I'm sorry again, I know... but I am.)

Trying his best to be your friend in Magic,
LokI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Velvet Expanse by LokI Kross (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL