The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » For John Cox (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I have been waiting for an old newspaper to be digilised and their computer just sent me this link that it has.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/97933572

hope it means or adds to your data base.

Ian
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Wonderful. Thank you very much, Ian. What a great resource. I really appreciate it. Smile
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Another fantastic resource for historical newspaper articles including many on Houdini is http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Wow! That is indeed a fantastic resource. Thanks Steve. In fact, I just found something remarkable that I'll do a post on.
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Here's my post with thanks to you, Steve.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/07/......500.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
The New York papers carried the news "Houdini gift of books to Congress bankrupted estate" within a few months of his death. This was not exactly true, but, it was Bernard Ernst's job to demonstrate that it was.
This report from 1932 is a different matter. Houdini had left a trust for Bessie and his legal advisors invested most of it in the stock market. The 1929 crash decimated Bessie's trust. Bernard Ernst tried to restore some of what was gone by purchasing Houdini's diaries and other items from Bessie.
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Quote:
On 2013-07-31 15:42, houdinisghost wrote:
The New York papers carried the news "Houdini gift of books to Congress bankrupted estate" within a few months of his death. This was not exactly true, but, it was Bernard Ernst's job to demonstrate that it was.
This report from 1932 is a different matter. Houdini had left a trust for Bessie and his legal advisors invested most of it in the stock market. The 1929 crash decimated Bessie's trust. Bernard Ernst tried to restore some of what was gone by purchasing Houdini's diaries and other items from Bessie.

Really? That's interesting. I don't believe I've ever heard this.

And that's why the Ernst family has the bulk of Houdini's diaries today, correct?
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Hi John, I've only just read your blog post and the generous mention. Thank you.

fultonhistory.com is about the best public resource I've found as far as magic goes. Glad it was of use to you too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » For John Cox (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL