We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Small palm readers wand? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

Profile of David_Libertine
I cannot recommend this place highly enough : http://www.whirlwood.com/

I've had two wands done there and they are beautiful. Each is hand made and custom work is available.
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2013-02-09 18:09, David_Libertine wrote:
I cannot recommend this place highly enough : http://www.whirlwood.com/

I've had two wands done there and they are beautiful. Each is hand made and custom work is available.
They look awesome.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I found a couple items I will use for tarot and for palm tracing that will fit in well with the character type I present readings with.

but this topic has grown very fascinating! I really like the care everyone takes with their non gimmicked prop selections. that is what will make these presentations very magical indeed.

how many of you use wands in your other presentations?

now I need to find some items to dress the table just for aesthetics.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at yads. These are really neat. They vary in price from about 12 pounds to 120 pounds, depending on age and materials....

There are also adult and children's varieties...

Very interesting...
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Yes me to lol I had never seen one before until last night. they are kind of cool!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I think I'm losing it guys....
I've been looking at this thread for two days, and only just realised it wasn't called "Small palm readers wanted"

I need to lie down I think

Steve
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Crispin Mindbender has some nice ones.
http://www.crispinswands.com/WandVault.html
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Use a small magnifying glass with handle - you can then use both ends - rod or circle - and also theatrically examine some areas of the hand in more detail
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
Using a yod (literally meaning 'hand') that has actually been used to read a Torah, don't be surprised if Hebrew letters appear on the palm you are reading. Sometimes a letter will appear on the back of the hand.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5545 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2013-02-09 15:39, RicHeka wrote:
We had a huge blizzard lastnite here in the Northeast US. I got trapped inside my cave.....so I had some free time to make this Pointer.
It is composed of: A length of 'antique' bamboo; A rock quartz Neolithic arrowhead [6000-8000 years old]; A wood skull.
Total length: 8 inches [20cm].

http://tinyurl.com/a7pwbj3

Rich

I love this Rich.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Simple answer:

Alivans

http://www.alivans.com/custom/cart/edit.asp?p=97608

This particular wand is bloodwood, but they also make other small 7" wands in ebony (I have this one, it's gorgeous), becote, and purpleheart. Different wood types are also lathed (is that a word?) differently, so there's a good selection and variety of not just color/wood but shape.

They even make several tiny wands that are keychain sized, about 3˝" long. I got a few of these too.

BTW, these aren't just stained pine or maple, these are the real hardwoods, and the craftsmanship is very good, while the prices are surprisingly low. I am in no way affiliated with Alivans, I just think they make the best wands, hands down. I stumbled across them back in my Harry Potter days.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5545 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I cannot believe how many wand makers have popped up...and so many good ones. Are these all spawned by Harry Potter, or have they always existed and the internet is making them more well-known?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2013-02-10 11:36, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-09 15:39, RicHeka wrote:
We had a huge blizzard lastnite here in the Northeast US. I got trapped inside my cave.....so I had some free time to make this Pointer.
It is composed of: A length of 'antique' bamboo; A rock quartz Neolithic arrowhead [6000-8000 years old]; A wood skull.
Total length: 8 inches [20cm].

http://tinyurl.com/a7pwbj3

Rich

I love this Rich.

Thank-you my friend! My initial blizzard enhanced goal was to create a wand/pointer...that is: unique; partially ancient; interesting; and with the opportunity for the performer/reader
to discuss the 'interesting' background of the piece...with the guest[s].....if asked.
It may not be as pretty as some of the other WONDERFUL offerings mentioned. However. it has a bit of unique character.....sort of like...in the dog world...a cute mutt. Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3049 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
With all respect to Christian Chelman, I have an issue with using a yad as a pointer for tarot reading. It's the same reason I wouldn't use the base of a crucifix for that function: it's recognizable as an object specifically designed for religious observance. Regardless of your personal comfort level in using such an object within this context, you run the risk of offending the sensitivities of your sitter.

If you have any desire to be a palmist in a professional setting, I'd recommend using a pointer that doesn't carry such emotional baggage.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I 'STRONGLY' agree with Neil's, post!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
I see Neil's point and generally it a very good practice. Bravo!

I, having being raised in an orthodox household, would personally not be offended by the use of a yod in this context. I might think it a bit odd, however (see the next paragraph). A yod is used as a pointer and has no religious connotations; its function is to prevent damage to a scroll, particularly the ink. Some will suggest that the yod prevents a potentially impure person from touching a Torah scroll (I will keep my lengthy opinion to myself regarding this). As there are no references to a yod in Talmud that I'm aware of, I personally could not associate a yod with any religious or ritual significance. Hence, no offence.

What is more potentially objectionable is the use of a yod (or any uniquely Jewish object) in divination as divination is highly frowned upon. Frowned upon? Yet, we see references to divination in Torah. (That would be a fun discussion thread!) Therefore I (echoing more authoritative sources), conclude divination is not forbidden, but is considered a distraction. Indeed, as those of here in Spooky use it as an entertaining 'distraction'.

Not being a student of Islam or Christianity, I can only venture to guess that the loathing of divination might be a more universal 'official position'. So, perhaps we Spookyniks, to coin a term, should be clear that when we do divination (yod or not), it is 'for entertainment purposes only'?

Oy, in true form I've exposed more questions than answers. Apparently, I'm not a wise person.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Expressing no opinion regarding their use for divination purposes (pro or con), aren't these stunningly beautiful?

http://www.judaism.com/tree-of-life-yad/dp/BACGC/

BC
Phasmologist
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Those are gorgeous prof bc....
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 12:55, Necromancer wrote:
With all respect to Christian Chelman, I have an issue with using a yad as a pointer for tarot reading. It's the same reason I wouldn't use the base of a crucifix for that function: it's recognizable as an object specifically designed for religious observance. Regardless of your personal comfort level in using such an object within this context, you run the risk of offending the sensitivities of your sitter.

If you have any desire to be a palmist in a professional setting, I'd recommend using a pointer that doesn't carry such emotional baggage.

Best,
Neil

On the other side, there are yads that doesn't look like the traditional yad. Plus, a good story can justify any object.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3049 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
My own solution for palmistry tools is to use a matched magnifying-glass-and-letter-opener set.

With a wide range of handles in mineral, horn, bone, wood, or other materials to choose from, they can look quite beautiful while exuding a sense of antiquity and scholarly professionalism. And since they come in so many different styles, there's bound to be a style to suit every reader.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Small palm readers wand? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL