The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning to use thumb/ finger tips (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-03-03 15:44, pcamel wrote:
Quote:
..the pseudo-screwing motion of the thumb in the fist is a dead giveaway for the use of a thumb tip...

Yes and unfortunately that is the most important part of move...

Is it? Can you explain your reasons behind this? I've seen many people who do quite well(even better) without using the "thumb stuff" move at all. To me, the most important part of TT use is to make it look natural, and I cringe every time I see someone use their thumb in this fashion.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I'm not sure if the videos are still available, but check out "Rules of Thumb". I also recomend "The Movie" there is a beautiful handling of the FT.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Roland B
View Profile
New user
Paris(France)
41 Posts

Profile of Roland B
In my opinion, the trick with the FT in "The Movie" is more efficient on magicians than on Laymen, the motions are quite unnatural. For example, there is no reason to cross the fingers.
Rolangicien
Han Solo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Han Solo
50 tricks with a thumb tip.
Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!-Elmer Fudd
Roland B
View Profile
New user
Paris(France)
41 Posts

Profile of Roland B
Carl Cloutier has also an interesting TT-sleeving.
Rolangicien
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
I saw one guy do a routine with a red thumb tip just to prove a point, pretty cool lol
Roland B
View Profile
New user
Paris(France)
41 Posts

Profile of Roland B
It certainly was Salvano.
In one of his video, he does all the explanation and performance with a yellow one.
He explained that the color is not important, since we almost never have to see it, it is just for security if we make mistakes. He's THE master of TT.
Rolangicien
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Phil Cass has a nice TT handling at the end of his "Shell Game" video. The "thumb stuff" is totally nonexistent!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
All this discussion of thumb tips and nobody mentioned Roger Klause. His book, "In Concert", has some excellent routines with a thumbtip. Every one of them is an example of well thought out thumbtip use. He refined the thumbtip bill switch to such an extent that it is one of his signature moves. He uses a tip in his spongeballs up the sleeve and it's mindblowingly diabolical. Both the handling of the vanish and the revelation will get past most people who know about tips because there are none of the classsic tells. He also has a superb handling for the vanishing cigarette, the trick which really made the thumbtip as popular as it is today. Yes, nobody does cigarrette magic anymore, that's why most people buy a thumbtip based on the vanishing hanky demo but putting a lit cigarrette in your hand and having it disappear in a puff of smoke is just about as good as it gets.

Anyway, lots of good thumbtip stuff out there but Klause gets my vote as one of the better resources because his handlings are far more refined than those found in thumbtip specific books and he has several different types of routines that serve as excellent examples of good thumbtip work.

Finally, I'm a big fan of the vinyl thumbtips that come in from japan, they look pretty good and are kind of squishy to facilitate some of the moves with bills.

Dave
Scotchandsoda
View Profile
New user
Pittsburg, KS
8 Posts

Profile of Scotchandsoda
When I bought my first TT, I had the guys at US Toy Magic show me the basics and I basically expanded it from there. The people at US Toy are a first-rate bunch of guys, and took the time to teach me until I had it down. However, I've also viewed the Royal Magic video, and while it was a bit dry, it did provide good tips and techniques for beginners (in my humble opinion).

-Paul
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
I highly recommend the video tape of Salvano on thumb tip, released by Stevens

...and the other source where Salvano gives tips for the TT on a video released by International Magic London
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Can somebody tell me where I can find Salvano's vids/DVDs? I can't seem to find any site which carries it. Thanks guys
multiply
View Profile
Loyal user
England (Olde!)
202 Posts

Profile of multiply
Try here:
Gary B
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Thanks Gary!
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
If you can find it, Patrick Page has a GREAT tape on the TT.

Riley

Just found it here:

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Video's/video088.htm

scroll down to near bottom of page.
I'm sure others will have it, too.
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Penguin Magic has a new Thumb Tip 3 DVD set coming out that sounds pretty good.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Rules of Thumb is no longer available from Kevin James (even though it's still on his website). Any other sources?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
The Great Blackwell
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
58 Posts

Profile of The Great Blackwell
Quote:
On 2003-11-17 13:41, invalidity wrote:
Harold, any particular books? I want to get started on the right foot and not pick up any bad techniques...

If you're using a TT on your foot maybe YOU should write a book or produce a DVD!
-Dave in Minneapolis

"Never trust anyone in a wedding dress, especially a woman!"
-Sam Malone
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
I have both the Patrick Page videotape and the Milbourne Christopher's 50 Tricks with a Thumb Tip.

50 Tricks has very little in the way of technique but instead has a variety of effects you can do with a thumb tip. You are left on your own to learn how to use the TT properly.

The Patrick Page video has just a few (mostly classic) effects, but a lot of discussion on getting the TT, stealing it etc.

For a beginner, the Patrick Page video would be the best choice. For those more experienced, the Christopher pamphlet will get your creative juices flowing.

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Learning to use thumb/ finger tips (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL