The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Approach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
jkwebber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of jkwebber
Looking forward to the first 12 chapters!! I am still excited about the upcoming book.
Roland Choo
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
226 Posts

Profile of Roland Choo
I'm excited and I wish I can have it 5 years ago. 10Q : )
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
I just finished reading the beginning of Jamie's book that he so graciously offered to share with the members here on the Café. First of all, thank you so much for your generosity Jamie, you gave us enough of a taste so that we can see the type and style of the book and what you are offering to share with us. I will tell you that from reading the first 12 chapters, whether you are a hobbyist, just starting out on your journey to becoming a professional magician, or you are a performer with some experience under your belt looking for a way to get more work, to grow and build your career, Jamie will make you think and take an honest hard look at yourself and who you want to become.

Thanks for sharing Jamie!
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thank you so much for the feedback. That absolutely makes my night!

And I think I owe everyone an apology for the messed up font. In WORD, I'm writing in Baskerville (which looks awesome) but when I save as a PDF (which is what I'm sending out) and then open it- it looks all messed up. How does it look like for you guys?

It should look like the pages I posted a bit earlier in this thread...

Note: I just tried opening it on my iPhone and it looks great. So it must be the Adobe on my Mac. Strange!!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
charlies_hat
View Profile
Regular user
Norwich, UK
108 Posts

Profile of charlies_hat
I would describe it as a very ENGAGING read, I have given some thought to almost all of the areas covered over the last year or so. But here's the thing - regardless of the 'I've already got that covered thanks' mindset that is too easy to have when reading though something like this, if you have a desire to be the best you can be then this material makes you stop and CONSCIOUSLY give real thought to re-assessing how you go about the task / job / passtime. If for each area covered you come out with 'no action needed there thanks, it's all good anyway', then great, but if that's your answer most of the time, then frankly, you are lying (or perfect).

I will definitely be buying the final version.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
816 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Very easy read. The different size fonts breaking up the text I feel really worked.
Very good and relevant info and advice. Super useful for a hobbyist like me.
Looking forward to the full copy.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
LeoC-Coins
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of LeoC-Coins
Hi Everyone

Just finished reading the first 12 chapters (and filled everything in along the way!) and I've just got to say that I adored it!

I'm only a junior Magician (age 14) but I do read a lot of magic books (unfortunately unlike others my age). But this is the only one I've ever read so far which truly creates and develops a personality and character for the reader (the book actually connects with the reader in a great way!).

In some parts I believed it to be a bit vague yet as soon as I noticed it straight after was a message saying that we will come back to it at a later date! So other than that I can't see any faults!

It was great fun to read, it was nicely set out and presented, it was very informative and just a fantastic start to what I bet is a fantastic book!

Jamie has made something special here

Cheers

LeoC
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Thanks, guys!! This feedback is awesome!!!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
bobflyer
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of bobflyer
I would have to TOTALLY agree with the other comments above! Very good information, easy to read and apply the wisdom shared by Jamie. Looking forward to the complete book!

Bob
ninepine
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of ninepine
Hello Jamie

First of all thank you for the incredible bravery and trust that you have shown by inviting us to comment on your draft. From what I can see of the teaching it is first class and it's very much your "voice" guiding us. I do have some fundamental issues though. I hope the following sets these out in a constructive way.

My biggest problem with the book is that if I pay $75 (or even CAN$75!) for it I don't want to ruin it by writing in it. I do hope therefore that you'll publish a separate PDF file of all the forms / notes pages so we can print these and use them without having to deface the book. Prepared carefully the PDF needn't provide pirates with a quick way to rip off the book as the book should be necessary to make sense of the forms.

My other points are also typographical rather than magical.

The front illustration is beautiful. As a cover though please can you remove the price part and order form? If I've bought the book I don't need to be reminded of the price or need to place an order. They detract from the illustration. It isn't a sales poster that's needed here but a book cover illustration.

Page numbers. Unless you're going to refer to them I'm not sure if they are really necessary but they ought to be in the centre or on the right not on the left by the spine where they'll be obscured by your thumb.

I'm really not a fan of the different sizes and weights of text but what I can't abide I'm afraid are the grey highlights and disconcerting chapter numbers. The bracketed chapter headings are more consistent with computer code and don't reflect the tradition magic publication the cover illustration suggests. Your guidance on business cards said keep the text clear and simple. I wish that advice applied to the typography in the book. I’m not trained in typography but I recognise the skill and art involved. If you’re going to go to the expense of having your wisdom published in a book as opposed to an email or word document I would urge you to keep the typography traditional. It’s that way for a reason.

As far as the highlights go they need to be in fluorescent yellow not grey to stand out (which will add to production costs) but why not just omit them and allow the reader to add them if they feel them necessary? Those of us who prefer to read our books but keep them pristine will choose not to damage our purchase. We'll still get the benefit of the teaching though.

To sum up. I don’t like the way the text is presented but I love the content. I don’t pay $75 to scribble over a beautiful book so please don’t ask me to. I am very much looking forward to buying a copy.

Best Wishes

Mike
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
211 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
Just finished the sample, can't wait for the rest. Jamie's tone, voice, and layout are great. The information is spot on and everyone can and will be a better magician and increase their business. Thanks Jamie.

Cheers,

Mike
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
683 Posts

Profile of dman11
I just got done reading the sample as well and loved it. I enjoyed the layout and found it very easy to read. This is a book I will absolutely read from cover to cover many times and cant wait for it. Just in this sample it answered many questions I had. I also like the idea of a supplemental PDF for the forms because I don't think I will write in my book either (at least not without probably wanting to change what I wrote a few weeks later! )

Well done Jamie
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
685 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
This is absolutely brilliant! I too wish I had this earlier in my career - would have saved me a LOT of problems! Well written, extremely useful and actually inspiring. Already put my name down for the book and genuinely excited about its release.

Iain.
Steve Griffin
View Profile
New user
Guildford, UK
65 Posts

Profile of Steve Griffin
This looks fantastic!

Jamie, are you still offering the preview chapters, or have I missed that boat now?

Steve
'Just nodding your head won't row the boat' - Anon

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man' - Dr Johnson

Griffin and Jones
Bar Magic UK
Facebook
Youtube
@GriffinandJones
James927
View Profile
Regular user
Nor Cal
158 Posts

Profile of James927
Jamie - thank you so much. For me, this is a straightforward, easy to follow way to move from years of performing for close friends to performing for a more varied audience base and getting some gigs. It's an awesome plan of action!
Jeremie Leroi
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
115 Posts

Profile of Jeremie Leroi
This reads WAY too quickly ! I was really frustrated at the end of those first 50 pages.
Simple and well thought-out advices. This will, I'm sure, help a lot of magicians in the future.

Can't wait for the release.

J.
jkwebber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of jkwebber
I also read the first 12 chapters and am looking forward to when the book comes out.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

There's a fair amount I need to respond to here, and it all has to do with THANKING all of you. You spoke, and I listened. I changed some things and cleaned up some others. I'll go into more detail when I have more time; and I'm just not so plain exhausted, lol. Because it's done. Actually done. I can't believe it.

Before I go to bed for a few days, I've put up a link to purchase a DRAFT copy if anyone is interested:

http://magicfriday.blogspot.ca/2013/07/t......opy.html

Y'all rock!

~jamie
Knobz1
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte, NC
157 Posts

Profile of Knobz1
Purchased! Thank you Jamie!
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1891 Posts

Profile of slyhand
If the rest of the book is anything like the first 12 chapters, I'm all in.

It was a very fun and easy read. It's more like someone is actually talking to you rather than a text book of what to do.

I'm looking forward to the final version.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Approach (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL