The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Approach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
667 Posts

Profile of dman11
I'm in PA and the book arrived today. Book #42, to be exact. Signed card, signed and numbered book and nice bookmark at the "Big Secret".
now, to get the time to read it in the next couple days.

Nice book, A glossary would be nice though
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I read the first 12 chapters and really enjoyed it.

it's a very easy read.

it made me think about quite a few things I had not really considered before and it gave some really good advice.
James927
View Profile
Regular user
Nor Cal
158 Posts

Profile of James927
Yes, an easy read with valuable info and exercises. I started doing magic when I was 7 or 8 (probably like a lot of you). Been showing effects to friends and family ever since (some years more than others). I turned 60 last month and asked myself "what do I really want to do that I haven't been doing?". Strolling magic was one of the answers. This book feels like a "mentor's hand on my shoulder" as I start walking along this path. I love how we can spread a little more joy, wonder and appreciation for being alive through magic - not just for the specs but for us as well! Buying this book = good decision for me. Finding the MagicCafe = good luck for me too.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4295 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I got mine in the mail today and am going back and forth through pages, exactly the words and motivation I need to move forward.
Knobz1
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte, NC
157 Posts

Profile of Knobz1
Got mine in IL today James! Woohoo!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4380 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
My physical copy appeared in the mailbox today.

As I predicted, the remaining chapters lived up to the promise of the first 12.

This is the book that every magician needs in their library . . . even seasoned pros (who will either just confirm what they already know, or if they're like me, manage to learn something new that hadn't occurred to them before).

In a short amount of time, I'll be able to tell which performers have read this book, and those who haven't, just by the merits of their performance.

Thank you, Jamie, for sharing this "gift of wonder" with the magic fraternity. I will look forward to seeing the majestic garden that will result from the seeds you have planted.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
ninepine
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of ninepine
Copy #18 arrived with me in the UK today.

Thanks Jamie - looking forward to reading the remaining chapters.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Received #20 here in Southern California yesterday. Since I had a little down time today I finished the book and made a to do list on what needs to be tweaked to improve myself as a entertainer.

Here is my very short review on Jamie's book. Invaluable information for the working magician. This is definitely one of the best buys I've purchased in my 24 years in magic.

Thank you Jamie and I can't wait to become a better magician.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Received #76.

Very good advice. A lot of things I never thought of.

Thanks Jamie
Knobz1
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte, NC
157 Posts

Profile of Knobz1
Forgot to mention which copy I got. I received copy #9. Been 24 hours and almost have it finished. Sooo much information I am learning that I always had questions too. This book is a must! Trust me!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4295 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
#69, I got quite the sexy copy.
matthewwhitt2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of matthewwhitt2
I got myself #50 a few days ago, and after giving it a quick read through I must say it was well worth my money. I have been doing magic now for around 16 years but it has always been just a hobby for me. I do parties and restaurants now and then, but not too often. I was even offered a booking agent to get me gigs and travel full time doing this, which I turned down. The biggest reason I turned it down is because I feel ill-prepared. After reading this book I might take my time, go into all the details and start performing on a regular basis. This book actually gave me the push I needed to consider doing this as a profession. The most amazing thing about this book is that it is for everyone! No matter your level of skill or experience in working, you WILL come out learning how to go about making money easier. For everyone that missed the chance to buy the draft copy, DO NOT MISS OUT ON BUYING THIS WHEN IT COMES OUT!!! This is something that should stand the test of time and magicians everywhere can learn from. Very good work Jamie! The information in this book will help magicians of all levels!

Matt Whittaker
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thanks, everyone!!

It's going to be too hard to pick Testimonials for the back cover, lol. So I'm going to include a couple of pages in the front, I think. Fun!

"Jamie Grant writes with wit, intelligence and brevity – a rare trifecta. In this book he spills essential information that every walk-around performer needs to know. Sure, you already know some of this, but you don’t know it all. And that makes this a required investment in your performing career."

~Ken Weber, author of Maximum Entertainment
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Okay reviews can probably start pouring in then Smile

Here is me in a nutshell… I'm a part timer in magic and have been performing for 10 years. I think I represent a good amount of magicians out there. Day job + magic. It's not that I don't want to go full-time, I just like having 2 sources of income… keeps me happy. I, like so many others, struggle with business tactics for a niche market (And I have a degree in it!)
NOW Jamie on the other hand is a champ. Not only is he one of the nicest guys in magic but he's pretty darn busy as well. I've been following his advice for a couple years now and I won't look back. He's never steered me wrong from professional thinking and moving me forward. Look at his post about how many effects you should know and why. It's changed a lot of peoples minds, not just mine.

Here's what this review won't be: a play by play of what is in the book. If you like what I tell you, you'll like the book this literally covers A-Z of magic business and worth every dollar.
Okay that sentence pretty much summed up my views on the book but here is the longer version.

The book is more of a workbook. He mentioned to dog ear corners and write in it, make it yours! If you don't want to write in it… get a notebook… simple… but use the book as directed. If you follow the layout of this book it's a guide to being awesome QUICKLY. If you want to see a chapter list there is one within this thread.

It really does cover EVERYTHING and if you are wondering what the big secret is? You'll have to get the book but let me tell you… I've applied it… it works… It's worth the price of the book. I don't want to hype the book up or anything but I honestly feel like it can help anyone at any stage of the game out.

The thing I liked the most about the book besides how easy it was to read. He really teaches things within that are not only helpful but will help OTHER magicians in this book. It sounds weird but but just by reading this book, you're helping the whole magic community. Why? PROFESSIONALISM. With magicians practicing the methods that Jamie talks about, and more professionalism around the community. We can all benefit from that. If you need me to explain why, you need to read the book… if you have it… you need to re-read the book.
What didn't I like? Nothing…

This book rocks. If you want more gigs, a more professional attitude or better interactions with your close-up groups and clients. This is for you. If you apply what's taught… You'll love it.

Now here's my little story… I asked Jamie for a little advice over a month ago and he responded with a chapter from the book that applied. Well I applied that chapter and that week I got offered three paid gigs almost instantly. It was brilliant.

Over the years Jamie has become a role-model for me and I'm glad we get this insight into his professional life.

Now go and be awesome…
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
James927
View Profile
Regular user
Nor Cal
158 Posts

Profile of James927
Quote:
On 2013-08-12 21:29, Knobz1 wrote:
Got mine in IL today James! Woohoo!

That's great Knobz1 - #9, a good # worth waiting for!
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1226 Posts

Profile of magicman29
When is the official release of this? I'm a late commer to this thread! Smile

Kieran
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1731 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
!@#$ the French postal service, still nothing ^^'
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thanks, guys! I'm cleaning up the draft now and (I'm happy to say) there doesn't seem to be as many errors as I thought there would be! Hurrah!

Other than that, I'll be adding a Table Of Contents (as suggested) and some Testimonial pages in the front. I also need to get some of the ISBN stuff sorted out. But, aside from that, you guys have the real work.

So, how is everyone finding it? Are you writing in it as a textbook? Have you started your Friday homework? I'd love to hear progression stories!

Your pal,

jamie

P.S. There are still a couple of Draft copies left over here.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
I've been keeping a note book (I scribble a lot) but it's been VERY beneficial overall and the Friday homework has become my favorite day of the week Smile
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
667 Posts

Profile of dman11
I read it front to back, twice. My book has orange highlighter all over it !
I will be starting my first magic friday this week, Aug 23rd. I work in an office so I'll have lots of opportunities.
Just trying to figure what to do still as most people I can APPROACH will be sitting and I will of course be standing.

Maybe start with simple card magic (that's mostly what I know at this point). Twisting the Aces into Dr Daleys last trick and
we'll see how it plays out. wish me luck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Approach (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL