The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Approach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1996 Posts

Profile of puggo
Looking forward to it Jamie.
Inspirational stuff.
Charlie
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1087 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
You know how to get attention! sounds good jamie!
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
414 Posts

Profile of boinko
Sign me up. Let me know when you're ready to take payment, and I'll send mine immediately.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
OK, now I REALLY want to know what a %^^# &&##* &*#*#*#6 is. (And I sure hope it's not a foot.)
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thanks for all the support, gang!! It really drives me, so please keep posting support, lol.

And I was off on vacation but am back now. Funny- I tell myself whenever I go away, "Perfect, no distractions, I can get ahead on my work." Yeah, right, never happens. This did, however...

And, in a way, this will have a big chapter in the book. How to blend your lives (if you have more than one, like I do- artist/magician/paramedic) together to max effect. Actually I can give you a little insight and mention how it was when I was a bike messenger that I built up my magic client database. And this is one of the imperative ways to get clients so if you like, I'll share it now:

Everyone you meet must know you're a magician. Period. If you're a house painter and you want to get some work painting, how would that happen if no one knows that's what you do? So if someone asks you what you do and you're for example, a barista for your day job, you need to say "magician" first. I'm always a magician when people meet me for the first time. More in the book.

As well, I've been invited to do a TEDx talk which is an amazing honor:

So I'll also be talking a LOT about marketing and public image. I can promise, for example, that this TEDx event will get me a dozen or more gigs a year. More in the book, lol.

Thanks for letting me share this journey!

~jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
L.E.Gerdemain
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of L.E.Gerdemain
Jamie,

I can't wait to read the book. I was completely enthralled reading the samples you posted earlier. Your style is very unique. I felt as though you were talking only to me on a personal, one-on-one basis. In fact, I think I should start referring to you as my personal coach.
You just have to see this project through all the way to publication! I really believe you have a lot to offer and for this I have to extend a huge THANK YOU.

Kevin
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Only 11,664,000 Seconds left till August 1st, Jamie!

194,400 Minutes.

3,240 Hours.

135 Days.

Not counting the rest of today, of course.

:bat:
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Well, that was a week of writing misery, lol. I just deleted everything I wrote over the past seven days- I just wasn't happy with it. I'm thinking of charging around $80 for this book and, for that kind of money, you guys need the best I've got.

Well, for better or for worse, I wanted to document what writing a book was like. So this last week was painful, lol.

Back to the writing board,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Jamie, Thank You ....I know that simple phrase is sometimes over looked and dismissed, but I think it is powerful beyond measure. Years ago when I was watching Oprah, she gave away to everyone in the audience a car. Someone who I was watching it with said "Man I wish Oprah would give me a car" and without hesitation I said "I'd like to be able to be the one to give everyone a car". I felt exactly the same way with your AIP bottles. I know that some people want an AIP bottle because it inspires them. The AIP bottle is amazing but what it did was inspire me to think of what I could do to inspire the world. I am so grateful that you are writing this book because I think you have tapped into what we really do as magicians. We don't really create wonder, we remind people that wonder is possible. I am so looking forward to reading your book. I imagine that it will be an undertaking, but also rewarding experience. My question is have you found by writing out your experiences and knowledge do you have a better understanding of your methods and making yourself a better magician in the process?
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Gordon- you've NAILED my philosophy perfectly. The basis of my TEDx talk is how, if you're looking for inspiration, you should start by trying to inspire.

Back to the book:

I think one of the main things I've learned about myself is how much magic has changed my life for the better. It's not exactly what most people think, though...

I don't have my own TV show or Vegas stage. And I think a lot of today's youth want that (I hope I'm not generalizing!!). But, for me, that's not what I believe magic has to offer. I'm all about "real life". What exactly has being a professional magician done for me? Well, it has affected ALL of my life. When I go for coffee, or see a pal, or am introduced. Everyone says, "This is Jamie. He's a magician." and they're proud to know me. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they know I get paid for performing. It's added a legitimacy to my art, for whatever reason. So in real life terms, do I believe that becoming a professional magician will make you rich/famous? No. But I believe it will help you get a raise at your day job, or get upgraded to first class, or like we're doing this summer, pay for a month in Italy without having to save/dream about it for a lifetime.

It might be a harsh truth- that magic, most likely, will not get you a Lamborghini. But I hope I can get across how being a paid magician will take you places that, otherwise, simply wouldn't be possible. And that it will get you farther in all of your life's goals than if you were never a magician. I hope I can help everyone change their life for the better- it would be an honour.

Your pal,

jamie
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think you've nailed it again Jaime. I don't need the money I make performing magic. (I also don't need a Lamborghini! LOL) I do it because I love performing for people and I love seeing people's reactions when I really gob smack them. (Never even heard of gob smacked before becoming a magician but I love the phrase and think it perfectly expresses the reaction.) I believe that magic has also changed my life for the better and I'm not at the point where it's taking me places that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten to but I look forward to that!

Thanks,

Mike
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1180 Posts

Profile of danfreed
This book sounds like it will be just the ticket. Jamie, you look like Ron Howard. How often are you told that?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
So Jamie, The book will be done by Aug 1, right? Does that mean ready for release by then, or ready to go to printing? I'm asking cause you'll be at Magic Live on Aug 11 and I'll want to pick up an autographed copy then!

Mike
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Alright! I'm back from my TEDx talk!

I've got a couple more chapters flushed out ( Pocket Management and Who To Approach First ) and am working on the "Contracts" chapter. We'll see if I can make it by Aug.01! Only 3 months to go!! Gah!
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
OK, Jamie- two months to go!

Pressure, pressure, pressure.

How about an update?

:bat:
Christian Rey
View Profile
Regular user
Magician'y toast...to my
135 Posts

Profile of Christian Rey
I for one could definitely use this book in my life. Fan of Mr. Grant. And definitely looking forward to producing for Mr. Grant this month. I am ready when you are to get started on you're audio intro when you are Jamie! #AnyThingIsPossible
My first name rhymes with Magician
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Can't wait Jamie, I think we all enjoy the JDG tips in the Magic Friday and can't wait to read a whole book on your thoughts.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Thanks for keeping on me, gang! I need it!!

And, what's next? Well, I'm obviously still writing like crazy!! But I also need to make sure my plan is in order for when it's released. Like I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I really want this to be a guide for people in the future who are thinking about writing and releasing a book, as well.

So,

A) I need to do a Kickstarter or Indiegogo Campaign (next week)? Not only does this generate some early buzz, but it will also help gauge how many people are actually interested!

B) Before that, I need to get the cover art done (we're almost there) because I'll need to show it in the video.

C) I have to be 100% committed to the release date before I do the video. I'm going to be away for September, so that puts a wrench in things. If I release it in August, and the book is any good, lol, (fingers crossed!) then September will be a heavy order month and I won't be able to ship. So, realistically, Oct.01 will be my first shipping date to make sure I keep everyone happy. That said, I'm hoping I can release to my pals on the Café before that- we'll have to see.

And that's where we're at!

On that note, why don't I show you what I'll be writing about? I've decided to make it a "collection" of sorts: anecdotes, essays, theories, and stories. It's just easier for me to write it in small blocks because there is so much information I want to tell all of you! I originally wanted it to be a novel or more like my writing for MAGIC Magazine, but it's not going to happen. There will be over 100 "chapters", though. Some are super short and some are mucho longer...

1) Business Cards
2) How many tricks you should know
3) What to put in the lobby
4) The handshake
5) What to say in an email
6) What are you wearing
7) Who are you
8) Developing your sets
9) Moving through a room
10) My first effect
11) Who to approach first
12) How to deal with the Alpha male
13) When to show the event planner an effect
14) The BIG secret
15) Your website
16) How to get testimonials
17) The card force I always use
18) How much to charge- Rates Faq
19) Is a table appropriate
20) My second effect
21) Tips versus wage
22) How to hand out business cards
23) Hat or no hat?
24) What to do when you can’t be heard
25) Before dinner or after
26) Ah, wallets
27) What to never borrow
28) What rubber bands to use
29) What to do when you get busted
30) My third effect
31) Dealing with compliments
32) Fire and flash
33) What to do when someone wants to show you a trick they know
34) Just a regular deck- effect #1
35) What an invoice looks like
36) The first words out of your mouth
37) Getting started- part 1
38) Your close up case
39) Do you need a stage show
40) My fourth effect
41) Do you eat with them
42) How to practice
43) Just a regular deck- effect #2
44) The telephone call
45) Weddings
46) Vests vs jackets
47) Dealing with venue staff
48) Dealing with tricks with a reset
49) Repeat gigs
50) My fifth effect
51) Letting spectators shuffle
52) More than one deck
53) A look at pockets
54) Leaving them with something
55) Fingernail care
56) Kids at an event
57) Busking
58) Sponge balls (my routine)
59) What a contract looks like
60) My sixth effect
61) Conquering nerves
62) “Do it again!”
63) Cups and balls?
64) Going full time
65) The BIG secret- part 2
66) When only 5 people show up
67) Volunteering and charities
68) Your bag
69) How to say goodbye to your group
70) My seventh effect
71) How many hours?
72) When another magician shows up
73) Funny or serious
74) Remembering names
75) Performing outside
76) Dealing with disappointment
77) Transitions
78) “I saw this magician once, and he...”
79) One handed spectators
80) My eighth effect
81) Tricks for the entire group versus one spectator
82) Agents
83) Collecting anecdotes
84) Describe yourself
85) Large table issues
86) Dropping cards
87) Social Media
88) Dealing with hecklers
89) Increasing rates
90) My ninth effect
91) Just a regular deck- effect #3
92) Dividing your pockets
93) Demo videos
94) How much time to prepare
95) Recurring gigs
96) Body language
97) Getting ALL the money
98) Are you doing enough
99) Practice makes perfect
100) Leave them asking for more
101) Dance floors
102) Etc.

Needless to say, this is taking a while. I hope it's worth it and it helps all of you one day!

~jamie
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Jamie,

This sounds like MUST HAVE! What you are offering in this book willl be invaluable!

I can't WAIT to get my hands on a copy!

Any target date when it will be available?

Daff
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Just from reading those titles I can tell you know what to talk about.

What you're talking about, I'll have to read the book first though. Smile

Although, I must say, I like your writing style. If it's anything to go by, I'm sure the book will be good.

Love the 'insider' stuff...

The nitty gritty from the trenches. The stuff they don't teach you in Magic Shops. Smile

From one working professional to another, my respect to you for putting this out there.

Most of us had to slog it out to get these kind of experiences.

Hope and pray you get all the success you deserve from this project. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Approach (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL