The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Looking for a matching vanishing and appearing cane! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi all, I am looking for a great pair of vanishing and appearing canes.

they probably should be made of metal.

the vanishing cane should be able to stretch out to the same length as the appearing cane.

(the metal vanishing canes I have now are way too short.)

the surface finish and caps on the two should match.

cost is not an issue, but availability is -- where could these be ordered?

thanks in advance.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22447 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bill, he caps cannot match do to the design of the two different actions of the canes. I have a set of Tannen Superior Vanishing and Appearing canes. They are dark blue and metal caps. They are very nice and work great. Never used in a show. Will sell for $300.

The cap on the vanishing cane is a very nice silver round cap, and the appearing is silver strip wrapped around.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks for the offer Bill

how long is the vanishing metal cane? I think I have this exact cane and mine wont expand much past 34 inches....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22447 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bill, when your hand is at your side the the cane held in the fingers, should reach the ground. For the average man, 34 inches is about right. None of the cane would extend beyond that and not flop and wobble.

There was once a German Appearing Cane, that extended to 8 feet. Maybe that would be long enough for you.

I will have to check on the opened length, but I am 5'11" and the cane works for me.

Now that you mention it, I believe I do remember you getting one of the newer Tannen canes.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks Bill, I'm about 6 foot 3, but for me that cane feels more like a wand! I guess I'm too picky...

I like Mahka Tendo's Appearing Canes, but no vanishing one to match.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not sure what is still on the market, but the old German canes and the Walsh canes both had differing knobs between vanishing and appearing. But... since the knob on an appearing can isn't what it seems, you can easily change out the knob on the vanishing cane to take on the same appearance. Plus, this gives you a little latitude for altering the length of the vanishing cane, by altering the knob's interior diameter. You might be able to gain an inch or two, but naturally you can't push it much past that, or the coil will come apart.

So let's take an opposite approach...

In many cases, with my canes (both Walsh and the older style German), the appearing canes tended to be longer than the vanishing canes. So, here is a fix, if you have the guts to do it... You can always shorten the appearing cane by cutting off some of the steel (knob end, not the ferrule end). You'd need to re-conture the end, so that it conforms as it should.

All this makes me wonder if the lengths are different to account for silks being used. With a vanishing cane, you'd just need to keep tucking in the silk. But with an appearing cane, you have one shot to envelope the entire silk.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2013-02-11 16:46, Michael Baker wrote:
All this makes me wonder if the lengths are different to account for silks being used. With a vanishing cane, you'd just need to keep tucking in the silk. But with an appearing cane, you have one shot to envelope the entire silk.

Thanks Michael. To me this situation is counter-intuitive. I would have thought that an appearing cane would have a potential size limit, they can only spring out so far, and a vanishing cane could be quite long.

Here is the best match I can find. See hocus-pocus for the product "Stealth Appearing Cane, BLACK" this is a nice big appearing cane. And the best match is a Fantasio vanishing cane in plastic.

I don't care about the tips so much, but the different color of the cane and the different length is not good.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
When it comes to color match, I'd want to see them in person, but that's just me.

An appearing cane will only go to a predetermined length, based upon the angle and length of the cut steel. I have however seen an appearing cane that I swear had to be 6' long. Bob Little did it in a show and I think sold them at one time. Not sure of the purpose, but these things were as big or bigger than a pool cue.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Bob littles cane was much longer then 6'! it was almost 8' long and I don't think he ever sold them. if he had I would have bought one.
billappleton- I can get you high quality canes that match appearing and vanishing that have spring release.

I will check the colors available and let you know - you can PM me if you would like and we can talk. I have sold 20 or so of my canes at magic conventions and elsewhere. I use several of them in my own show. I recently sold out but plan to have more by end of the month or early march.

let me know if I can be of any help

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22447 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, that is what I was referring to, was Bob Littles 8 foot Appearing Cane from Germany. He did sell them at Abbott's Get-Together one year. Give him a telephone call and see if he has any left. It has been a while, but I did not see anyone purchase these while I was at the conventions. Who knows he could have some left.

As far as extending the length of a Vanishing Cane. Get some table leg caps at the hardware store and try it out. Those replacement plastic caps are a good match for the Fantasio cap.

Copper water pipe fittings are a solution as well, if you are crafty and can solder an end piece on them. Then paint, cover or have it chromed.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My friend, Magic Christian used to produce his vanishing cane. Then vanish it. Sure fooled me until he showed me how he did it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I never saw Christian work, but what you describe would have been "interesting" to see

I never saw Christian work. --but I would like to have seen 'that' with the van. cane.

The other side of the coin: Neil Foster vanished his appearing cane and then reproduced it. He showed me his handling, but I never did it in the working act--just played with it a bit.

Right, Bill! Copper pipe caps work just fine. I usually just painted mine white. They would need a touch up (that's why a smart user makes 3 or 4 of them).

I've also used the fancy covers on things like cologne bottles--may be necessary to add a bit of duck tape to the interior for a good fit.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 06:33, Dick Oslund wrote:

Right, Bill! Copper pipe caps work just fine. I usually just painted mine white. They would need a touch up (that's why a smart user makes 3 or 4 of them).

I've also used the fancy covers on things like cologne bottles--may be necessary to add a bit of duck tape to the interior for a good fit.

Ahhh... the sign of a true old-school pro... learning to find the things that make the magic, instead of wishing someone would produce them for the market! I've used all sorts of things to "do the work" for a number of different tricks, including substitute cane caps. I've used the copper pipe caps before with two soldered together at the closed ends. Then, one of them was made to work like a mini flash pot (the years of living dangerously!).

I have seen Christian work, but just his close-up stuff. I don't recall seeing his cane bit, but am very familiar with Neil Foster's unique twist.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22447 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
From Christian's lecture notes, he produced a Vanishing Cane. Simple to make gimmick, that when stood on, would flip the cane up to his hand.

Go to YouTube, you can find one of his acts there, look carefully, the cane is out laying on stage. The trick only works if you are on stage above the eyesight of the audience. No balcony seats allowed.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 10:57, Bill Hegbli wrote:
From Christian's lecture notes, he produced a Vanishing Cane. Simple to make gimmick, that when stood on, would flip the cane up to his hand.

OK, yes I do remember that, and actually tried it for awhile. Like stepping on a rake. For some reason, I was thinking of this being a different method using the "known" properties of the cane... kind of like Neil's version in reverse.

Thanks for the memory jog.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Christian's 'appearing--vanishing' cane! Sounds like a clever idea. But,of course only possible in a limited theatrical situation. (DARN)

Richt Michael! When your on the road in Zap, North Dakota (yes, I played Zap!) and something breaks, one becomes "resourceful"!

I always carried spares, but with a few items, spares were no longer being made. The "spr***" ball (with spring loaded 'axle' inside to jerk a s**k inside, 'died' enroute. I hear that someone is now making them. I can't think of the name of that thing.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22447 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Oslund, is this what you are referring to?

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Auto%20Silk%2......ame=silk to ball This own is made out of metal I believe.

A member said the JL (a Korean company) version is a plastic ball, and doesn't last through the 1st use, according to a member.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14127
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4678 Posts

Profile of videoman
It may be worth looking at this ebay magic store to see if there are any canes that would work for you. Don't know if they are any good, but I have purchased a couple small props from this seller and never had a problem.

http://stores.ebay.com/wholesalingmagic/......46096016

Re: the auto silk ball. I own one of Vikings and it looks and works great. Pretty rough on the silk though, but then again it's not easy being a magicians' silk!!! They're overworked and underpaid!!! I catch them looking at my wife's hair scarves with jealousy and disdain.

Bill (#3 now)
Benjamagic
View Profile
Loyal user
41°02′20″N 73°36′49″W
216 Posts

Profile of Benjamagic
With the Fantasio plastic canes you can trim either the vanishing cane or appearing cane so they are the same length. Because they are plastic, they shouldn't be too hard to cut.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians

This is a vanishing cane from Germany, and I have a matching stainless cane from India, but good quality.
That cane has a white tape on the end, and the vanishing could use a white cane tip, or a silver cap. If silver, you would change the end of the appearing cane to silver tape.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Looking for a matching vanishing and appearing cane! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL