The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Suspended and Water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
I've been using escapes a while now (couple of years) and am considering doing some sort of suspended escape and some sort of water escape. I've read stuff about it in escapology books but it's always mentioned in passing or in story form "And one time I did the handcuff escape I just mentioned for a bridge jump" etc.

Anyone know of resources for learning suspended escapes and ones involving water? Any safety tips? Any good ideas on some easy ones to start with?

Thanks!
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 03:40, magicbymccauley wrote:
Anyone know of resources for learning suspended escapes and ones involving water? Any safety tips? Any good ideas on some easy ones to start with?

Thanks!


Your imagination is the best resource, think up an idea and flesh it out and think it through until it's workable.
Safety tips? Don't drown and common sense are major factors, refer to above 'flesh it out and think it through"
Any good idea? 100's but only a small amount fit with any of the above and the easy ones are either public domain (ie bridge jumps) or someone elses ideas and methods (ie WTC's)

Try to be original and come up with an idea on your own and without outside influence, be a maverick. When you get stuck on something like what viscosity water should I use, post here for public assistance.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Just out of curiosity, Ian, what is the viscosity of Australian water?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Thanks Ian.

My character is a medieval type. Most county and state fairs have a dunk tank, so I was thinking that I perform a magic trick and then am accused of witchcraft and am tied up or chained up and dropped in a dunk tank (most fairs have a small tank of water) to see if I float. I respond by escaping and fighting off my attackers.

The second scenario is similar, but I'm accused of Blasphemy and tied up, Hoisted up in the air and hit with sticks like I'm a pinata. I have to escape, hop down and defeat them. I think I'm only going to be hoisted maybe four feet in the air with a rock climbing harness. I don't think I'm ready for a full inverted straight jacket escape AT ALL, and I'd like to be able to land on my feet/roll out of it if something goes wrong.

As for methods, I'm thinking very basic but reliable methods like the method behind the 100 ft rope escape (but with less rope, 100 ft is too much and could get me tangled underwater) and siberian chain escape or perhaps some sort of S tie.

I don't think I want to use handcuffs for this, I believe Jay Leslie and a few others mentioned that BJ cuffs can have problems under water and as for a straight full view picking scenario, I could do it, but I think I need to get comfortable with an easier method first.
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 12:52, magicbymccauley wrote:
I believe Jay Leslie and a few others mentioned that BJ cuffs can have problems under water


this is one of the greatest fallacies in escapes, never had it happen, never seen it happen, never heard it happen.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 10:00, Cliffg37 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Ian, what is the viscosity of Australian water?


Cliff the Reyn is 1.0231 @ 20 celcius
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 12:52, magicbymccauley wrote:
Thanks Ian.

My character is a medieval type. Most county and state fairs have a dunk tank, so I was thinking that I perform a magic trick and then am accused of witchcraft and am tied up or chained up and dropped in a dunk tank (most fairs have a small tank of water) to see if I float. I respond by escaping and fighting off my attackers.

The second scenario is similar, but I'm accused of Blasphemy and tied up, Hoisted up in the air and hit with sticks like I'm a pinata. I have to escape, hop down and defeat them. I think I'm only going to be hoisted maybe four feet in the air with a rock climbing harness. I don't think I'm ready for a full inverted straight jacket escape AT ALL, and I'd like to be able to land on my feet/roll out of it if something goes wrong.

As for methods, I'm thinking very basic but reliable methods like the method behind the 100 ft rope escape (but with less rope, 100 ft is too much and could get me tangled underwater) and siberian chain escape or perhaps some sort of S tie.

I don't think I want to use handcuffs for this, I believe Jay Leslie and a few others mentioned that BJ cuffs can have problems under water and as for a straight full view picking scenario, I could do it, but I think I need to get comfortable with an easier method first.


How about designing a DUCKING STOOL as an escape?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
BJ cuffs do what they are made for.
Non BJ cuffs shouldn't touch water.

Neither should be used, if the performer misquotes others.

(filter ON)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Very clever Ian, you spotted the trap that viscosity changes with temp. Well done.

Chris, keep it simple, use a kellar tie or the smaller version of the big loop cuffs. Both allow instant escape under water.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I agree with Cliff about technique.

Australian water IS denser. Being at the bottom of the world makes for a lot more pressure.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 19:59, Harley Newman wrote:

Australian water IS denser. Being at the bottom of the world makes for a lot more pressure.


I am made of over 80% water, what are suggesting?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Are you suggesting that you're dense?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
No, I was wondering if you were. LOL

Some have said I can be as thick as two short planks. Is thickness comparable to density in this situation?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
No. Not the same. Sure I'm dense. How about you? Some people think it's adaptive!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I'm dense enough not to go thru the earth's crust, that helps.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Is thickness and density related to length?

I'm confused now so maybe I'm just stupid..... Or something.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Exactly. We float on the surface.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Ian. Can you please design a device to allow the user to escape moments before a meteor hits their exact spot? This would go over big in Russia. I understand from some rumours I heard that BJ's don't work when space objects are entering the Earths atmosphere at 30k+ miles and hour so they are out.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Density is equal to mass divided by volume. In the density of one board, you divide and get your answer. With two boards, you double the mass, but you also double the volume. Hence the density will not change. Putting something under lots of pressure will change density as over time it can compress the volume. Dividing by a smaller number equals a larger result.

Class dismissed.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yawns and flicks a soggy bit of paper across the room at the teachers pet at the front! (I'm just acting up so people don't realise I'm struggling with the written parts!)

Runs out as its break but gets wee wee taken out due to stupid bloody feet.

Oh thoes were the days!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Suspended and Water (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL