The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Suspended and Water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
What a come back!!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Profile of magicbymccauley
Thanks everyone for the jokes and the advice, just one more quick question: any books on suspended or water? Or books that have advice on it?
"Tricks are about objects, Magic is about life."
-Max Maven
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-02-22 22:10, magicbymccauley wrote:
any books on suspended or water?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
In another thread here, there is a promo vid for JG doing an escape in a quarry tied to a car!!! Guess the name of the book this idea came from??
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Thelma & Louise.
The last scene?

I give up.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There will be a lot of people who will be jealous of that escape. I have to point out...none of THEM did it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
So I am not taken out of context, I don't want to insinuate that his idea came from a or any book. As far as I know, this ‘Book’ I relate to is his brain, his imagination. Having seen his other escapes , he has a fertile imagination. There are NO books to explain this, it is the combination of imagination, skill and experience.
Your postings here started in this Section late last year (about 6 months)
At the beginning of this thread you write ...
I've been using escapes a while now (couple of years).....
I question the word using and wonder if you meant ’doing’.
There are book which do have simple off the shelf escapes that magicians like yourself can readily learn and adopt for their show. The bigger and more complex escapes and setup cannot be just taken out of a book. For most part, these escapes haven’t been done before (unless it is an exact copy, same method, same equipment, same size, same number staff etc)
These escapes can takes months to put together. Currently I am assisting someone with one of these types of escapes and for every idea the other puts up, there is another factor which was not mentioned but needed to be in order to move from the first drawing of a concept to a possible working idea. But then a another forgotten piece is related and then the project is turned on it head and the brief is changed again and we all start again.
I worked on an escape where a which was made to pull a cord and release a gallows type door. Months of planning and building. Two days before the escape when the winch arrived, it didn’t have the torque to pull the cord!!!!!! Not enough time to get another made, everything came to a grinding halt until a solution was reached. (Now that is the secret to good escapes, what you do next!!!)
My advice Mr McCauley is to spend some year learning the basics!! the fundamentals!! Escape wise, not magician/magic wise. Develop techniques and skills. Then think up dream escapes, design them, plan them , think them thru and tweak the bits until you get something which works.
Then ask here, what colour should I paint it ? Or should I wear sequence!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes. Equipment will always go wrong. It's a rule.

Better to have a strong body on knowledge in your head, and a serious command of physical technique. The basic lessons of working with rope, for example, can apply to many other situations.

I often think that the most important knowledge, is how to handle things when they go wrong.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Once you are well-schooled in the basics, you can consider virtually any scenario, and then ask yourself, "Now what method(s) do I want to use to pull this off?"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes.

www.bladewalker.com
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Ian, when I said I've been doing escapes for a couple of years I meant small scale escapes: mail bag, handcuffs, 100 ft rope escape, chain escapes, kellar wrist tie, zipties, thumbcuffs and the like. Those are escapes I've been doing for years (small scale).

The two new things I do are escaping from a sword box and escaping from the stocks/pillory. Those are the biggest things I've done.

I certainly don't mean I want an escape like the car and chain! That's, like you said, months of planning and tons of equipment.

I'm looking for something a little smaller and a little more controlled. You seem to be alluding to books, but not mentioning them. Which ones would you recommend?

By the way just did an escape with your master combo lock and mailbag for 200 Boy Scouts. They were quite impressed. Have you ever thought about using this kind of lock with a box escape? I may have some ideas...........
-Max Maven
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ian, that went well!!!!

I like the way you started with "so I'm not taken out of context....." And made it clear that "this ‘Book’ I relate to is his brain, his imagination. Having seen his other escapes , he has a fertile imagination.".

I for one thought that it was clear.......but you felt you needed to go further and say..... Smile

"There are NO books to explain this, it is the combination of imagination, skill and experience." I liked the use of capitals for the word NO, it truly emphasised your response that there are no books for this stuff..

So the question is were you "alluding to books, but not mentioning them."? Smile Smile Smile :rolleyes Smile :rolleyes lol gotto chuckle.

Ian I think your advice was 'falling on deaf ears'!

So no books that you recommend for this ..... Got it

You would recommend "learning the basics!! the fundamentals!! Escape wise, not magician/magic wise. Develop techniques and skills. Then think up dream escapes, design them, plan them , think them thru and tweak the bits until you get something which works".

Sounds like a lot of hard work, are you sure I can't just buy a book and take short cuts? Surely I can copy just to make my life easier? Lol. Smile

Please note this is supposed to be a little sarcastic! I think Ian's response WAS crystal clear! (Both posts .... The one about the JG car AND the one clarifying his recommendations!)
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 04:44, dave_matkin wrote:
Ian, that went well!!!!

I like the way you started with "so I'm not taken~
that "this ‘Book’ I relate to is his brain, his imagi~
escapes , he has a fertile imagination.".

I for one thought that it was clear.......but you ~
say..... Smile

"There are NO books to explain this, it is the~,
experience." I liked the use of capitals for the~
response that there are no books for this stuf~

So the question is were you "alluding to book~s
: Smile Smile :rolleyes Smile :rolleyes lol got~

Ian I think your advice was 'falling on deaf ea~

So no books that you recommend for this ....~.

You would recommend "learning the basics!! ~
magician/magic wise. Develop techniques an~
design them, plan them , think them thru and~
which works".

Sounds like a lot of hard work, are you sure I~
cuts? Surely I can copy just to make my life e~

Please note this is supposed to be a little sarc~
crystal clear! (Both posts .... The one about the~
recommendations!)

Hi Dave, I think the biggest problem was in
my earlier post where I used a string of questions
marks (?????????) with no space. This has made
the page wider than my computer screen and
even your new message is going off the
page so I cannot get it all as you see above.
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

Ah, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want something as big scale as a car going off a cliff, or as small scale as handcuffs, but something in-between.
-Max Maven
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ok now we have our brief from you we will start work on it for you. Give me a week whilst I think of something, then I'll gift wrap it for you, give it a light spray of scent and send it with love from the sunny UK,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Look back over the last few issues of "The Chainletter". There was a fellow who created a smaller version of a water tank escape that he felt was every bit as effective as Houdini's full size one. Perhaps you could talk to him about it?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicbymccauley
View Profile
Special user
830 Posts

That sounds great Cliff! Dave: The color I use is Dark Walnut. I want all my kit to look nice, be sure you do it right.
-Max Maven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Suspended and Water (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL