The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COMBUSTION - by Arron Jones (WizardFX Productions) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
I'm hot to hear reports from people who got this and have had a chance to try it out.

The value for me isn't in the secret here, but making the secret work as shown. I have a background in both chemistry and pyrotechnics, so I'm very familiar with the traditional ways to do autocombustion. However, knowing the "recipe" is much different than knowing how to put it all together and make if function. It's the difference between knowing about DF cards and learning stand up monte.

IF (big if) it really can be made to work like the trailer, I'm in and in in a big way. And let me remind everyone just how far we will go to produce an effect we like -- endless hours of practice, big bucks, threads and wires and batteries and magnets hidden all over the place. Complexities layered on complexities. Heck, I could easily spend a couple hours setting up something that would take a couple minutes to perform. Paper Crane moment? That's nothing. So bring it on, you can't scare me away -- if it really works as advertised.

Anxiously awaiting reports...
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Yeah, what he said.

I guess I'm seeing a different set of applications than other people. I just worked a "Celebrity Waiter" gig and had candles on my table that I lit with a regular lighter. No one would have thought anything of it had I pulled out a box of matches, lit the candles, and tabled the matches. Then take out another match and say, "Let's try a little experiment..." and go right into Combustion. I think this would work for Weird Magic, Macabre Storytelling, Mentalism, and any other effect that uses fire and flash paper.

I'm keen to hear the reports from Blackpool, as well. Speaking of which: is there a live feed to the show, or a blog that posts pictures, or something like that for all of us poor suckers in the U.S. to gawk over?
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
Just curious is this the same as the Gaetan Bloom thing given away free in Genii a while back?
Ade
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I have just arrived back in Holland from Blackpool.
I will report on this either late tonight or tomorrow once I've had chance to watch the video.

Steve
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Steve, wonderful to hear. I already bought some "strike anywhere" kitchen matches, for all of $1.35. Hope I didn't waste my money before the reviews come in. Smile
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Quote:
On 2013-02-24 10:46, monstercreations wrote:
Hi,
Just curious is this the same as the Gaetan Bloom thing given away free in Genii a while back?
Ade

^^ This
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I've watched the DVD now.
I haven't had chance to try it out yet so can only comment on the theory side of things.

The effect IMHO is jaw dropping.
The preparation is a little bit more than a lot of effects and I can see some people being too lazy to do it.
I was worried about the availability of the things you need, but not a problem at all.
Quality of the DVD is ok and it gives you all the info you need.
There is one aspect of the handling I'd change, but nothing too critical.

For me this effect is not to be performed too regularly as that would reduce its impact if people had seen it the week before for example.
I think it's well worth the effort required but as stated above haven't actually got round to doin that yet.

Steve
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Hey gang,

When I worked in nightclubs a hundred years ago (you know, when smoking was cool), I used to do that thing where you could tap the end of a cigarette against something (matchbox, card box, coaster, etc) and, after a few moments, it would suddenly ignite and look like a regular, lit cig. It was basically two substances, one you put in the end of the cig and the other, a clear gel, you would apply a tiny drop to something else. When they came in contact with each other, you had about 7 or so seconds before it would ignite.

What I used to do was take out a cigarette and a box of wooden matches. I would tap the cig against the box and let a spectator hold it by the filter end at arm's length. I would light a match and, as soon as I saw a wisp of smoke coming from the end of the cigarette, I would do that classic "move" where the match goes out by itself. You know, the one where you appear to blow the match out down your sleeve, except I wouldn't do that. I would just snap the fingers of my left hand while making the match go out with my right. It looked SO *** magical, as though the fire instantly transferred from the match to the cigarette.

I think that would look great with this. Light a match, blow it out and hand it to them. Light another match for yourself and make the fire jump from your match to theirs. You'd have to play with the timing, such as waiting a couple seconds to light your match, etc, since the move doesn't work that well if your match has been burning too long. Anyway, you're more than welcome to try this presentation if you want...

Best,

Chad
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 17:24, Chad Long wrote:
Light a match, blow it out and hand it to them. Light another match for yourself and make the fire jump from your match to theirs. Y

They should have consulted with you because that is BRILLIANT and makes this worth getting!
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 17:29, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-25 17:24, Chad Long wrote:
Light a match, blow it out and hand it to them. Light another match for yourself and make the fire jump from your match to theirs. Y

They should have consulted with you because that is BRILLIANT and makes this worth getting!

Thanks you, Zombie, much appreciated!

Also, if someone can't or doesn't want to do the move, they can simply blow or shake their match out as soon as they see the spectator's match start to smoke.

Best,

Chad
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Brilliant thinking Chad.
A great take on the concept.
The only problem I see could be one of timing, as Combustion is a little too organic to be micro controlled.

Steve
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Swann101
That is awesome Chad, thanks you have made me start smoking again!
PaulW
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of PaulW
Just bought the effect which looks great on the trailer. However, I was disappointed that all you get is a DVD which expains how to make the props you require.

In my opinion this requires a LOT of preparation requiring handling some dangerous chemicals which I for one will not attempt.

Disappointed that Craig Petty and David Penn did not mention this in their World Magic Shop review No: 141, had they done so I would not have purchased it.
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Bande
While I understand the dissapointment, I must say it seemed clear to me that a dealer cannot ship flammable materials through the mail (at least in the US) so I expected just a "how to" guide. Agree they should have stated it, but not terribly surprised that you have to procure materials. My gut is it might make more sense for the professional than the hobbyist sinec a professional might make a bunch of gimmicks all at once where someone like myself would likely use 1-2 at most per week. Just my $.02 Smile
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
711 Posts

Profile of carlwag
If I could have seen a demo at Blackpool I may have bought this , however health and safety and fire regulation put pay to any demo
So I opted to leave this one for now

Carl
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4580 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 15:42, carlwag wrote:
If I could have seen a demo at Blackpool I may have bought this , however health and safety and fire regulation put pay to any demo
So I opted to leave this one for now

Carl

Which was all rather strange as Illusion Craft were letting huge fire flares go off every 5 minutes .
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
922 Posts

Profile of David Klass
On Facebook there are pictures of Arron demoing this in the dealers hall at Blackpool.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4580 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes I heard afterwards that they had a few time slots only to demo in . Unfortunately I missed those windows as was not widely known .
SPONGE KONG
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of SPONGE KONG
Got my copy today, I'm very pleased with the method and the effect is amazing. I think sometimes if the effect and the reactions are strong enough the set up is well worth the effort of doing what needs to be done to perform a miracle, I spent a long time learning sleights to vanish a coin or find a card so to me a few minutes set up time for such a good effect is well worth the time and a little money.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Although the preparation seems to be a long winded process, I choose to see this as a positive thing.There will be a lot of people who won't put in he necessary effort, meaning there will be very few people performing it.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COMBUSTION - by Arron Jones (WizardFX Productions) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL