The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COMBUSTION - by Arron Jones (WizardFX Productions) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
One plus is that it's 2013 and not 1975, so no one will have matches on them and ask you to do it with theirs.

If David Blaine did this on his first special instead of the bit quarter, those girls would have lost it.

I thought there was a chemical you coated the heads with that allowed a re-burn. am I thinking of something outside of a magic release?
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
Im sure its a switch of the burnt out original match than ring in the coated match as Zombie stated. Just a guess, the question again is how safe is the coating?
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
435 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 22:10, mysticalsales wrote:
Im sure its a switch of the burnt out original match than ring in the coated match as Zombie stated. Just a guess, the question again is how safe is the coating?

I agree! There is no way a match could be gimmicked and remain gimmicked after the match is burnt. The chemical applied would be burnt too. The burnt match is black so the chemical there can be the one we have seen to be used at all those type of effects (as a result this is something common for those of us who have tried similar effects in the past). Hope this will be easy to set up.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
As a spectator, the first thing I'd think would be, "oh, that's just like a trick birthday candle". I don't see how this would mystify anyone. Maybe just me.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 17:27, pegasus wrote:
Pre order from the world magic shop? You may be waiting a very long time.

It will be out at Blackpool, so only a week away. All pre-orders will be shipped the day we return from the convention, unless we can get some out beforehand!

The DVD is instructional, no additional props are supplied, as most you will already have, the rest are easily attainable on-line, or from local shops. This also keeps the cost down for you guys! If you don't have a single item from the list, it will cost about £15-£20 initially, with enough materials for 100's of performances. after that, it will be around £10 each time you need to stock up for another couple of 100 performances!

You can set up about 20-25 performance within half an hour. More once you get the hang of it!
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 07:17, GeneTony wrote:
As a spectator, the first thing I'd think would be, "oh, that's just like a trick birthday candle". I don't see how this would mystify anyone. Maybe just me.

That was one of my initial thoughts too. But I think if you add more time delay and fussing with the real burnt match before the switch, it gets past that. I'd have them try to ignite it and fail, maybe touch the tip to "see if it got hot from the mental energy," add another spectator, change their grip... lots of fussing around before the switch. I'd also add some defect to both matches to make a switch seem less likely (a sliver or blemish or something beside a pristine match).

Can you tell I really want this to work? Imagine it combined with something that bends in their hands (the type where they feel movement).

And a story line about so-called "firestarters" is a natural hook. It's got potential.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8971 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 11:18, MarcLavelle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 17:27, pegasus wrote:
Pre order from the world magic shop? You may be waiting a very long time.

It will be out at Blackpool, so only a week away. All pre-orders will be shipped the day we return from the convention, unless we can get some out beforehand!

The DVD is instructional, no additional props are supplied, as most you will already have, the rest are easily attainable on-line, or from local shops. This also keeps the cost down for you guys! If you don't have a single item from the list, it will cost about £15-£20 initially, with enough materials for 100's of performances. after that, it will be around £10 each time you need to stock up for another couple of 100 performances!

You can set up about 20-25 performance within half an hour. More once you get the hang of it!

That's good to hear, thanks Marc.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:

GenTony, I think you're right on this.

Yes, some might be amazed. But many would think about the candles.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
To avoid having it look like a mere trick birthday candle (as most people are familiar with), can this be perfomed with a brand new, unburned match? If it can, that would absolutely rule out the trick candle concept. Hand them a brand new match, and it ignites. I don't know the exact method, so I'm wondering if it could be presented this way.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
That's a great idea actually Tony, lets hope it's possible with this.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
872 Posts

Profile of gitty
I received the following answer from World Magic shop about using chemicals:
"It uses items and substances that should be only sold to over 18's."
WALTHER
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1646 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
If they know about relighting birthday candles, that could work in your favor. Remember that those candles can't be put out by just blowing on them. You usually have to squeeze or pinch it out. So after the match relights, you can, after the effect settles on everyone, just be sure to say, "Now; blow it out and it will never relight again" or "blow it out, for good."

Anyone who brings it up later can simply be reminded that the match was blown out, which you can't do with those birthday candles, I would remind them, because they always stay lit. Problem solved, maybe even a bit of a convincer if handled right.

Quote:
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 16:12, gitty wrote:
I received the following answer from World Magic shop about using chemicals:
"It uses items and substances that should be only sold to over 18's."

I think the effect could be very strong, but would like to know a bit more about potential health risks / safety of the chemicals or products used. This would not have to be exposure, but a bit of guidance such as 'non toxic by absorbtiion etc ' would be good..
Harrismatic
View Profile
Elite user
Greece
435 Posts

Profile of Harrismatic
Even a normal match is toxic if you inhale it the moment it lights up.

I doubt this is just like a relighting birthday candle as I see here a complete reaction; smoke is produced and ignition is taken place. The relighting birthday candles simply get relighted, not reignited.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I just don't see this as being a 'reputation maker' or really that magical at all. And if its such a reputation maker, why should I have to buy separate TV Performance Rights? That makes no sense.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8971 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The long delay before (re)ignition is what sets this apart from any other type of effect similar to this. Completely unlike the reigniting candles, which never actually extinguish.

It's a shame I'm not going to Blackpool as this would be my first purchase. With a half decent presentation this is a killer effect.

http://youtu.be/3Unkup7gG30
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
154 Posts

Profile of alextsui
Great effect but I feel that the presentation in the video (the audience member's emotions causing the match to light) seems to take away from your role of the magician. I would just ask the audience member to hold on to the match to prevent me from touching it and doing anything sneaky. Then I would focus my mental energy and cause the match to light up.
The Best Magic Effects to Take Your Performance to the Next Level
https://FireBirdMagic.com
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 15:39, GeneTony wrote:
To avoid having it look like a mere trick birthday candle (as most people are familiar with), can this be perfomed with a brand new, unburned match? If it can, that would absolutely rule out the trick candle concept. Hand them a brand new match, and it ignites. I don't know the exact method, so I'm wondering if it could be presented this way.

Hello, although the DVD does not go into any handlings for this: yes, it can be done with an unused match.

Regards

Marc
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8971 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I agree, an unused match would be as good, if not better from a specs point of view.
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 14:40, pegasus wrote:
I agree, an unused match would be as good, if not better from a specs point of view.

Just to clarify, there is no mention of this on the DVD, you would need to do a little more prep though.

I personally think the re-light is the best, and it does not have to be done right away either! You could come up with your own routine where you light the match during a routine that uses flash paper (or another justified reason) finish whatever routine you are doing, THEN do Combustion with the used match, minutes after previously lighting it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COMBUSTION - by Arron Jones (WizardFX Productions) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL