The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Slush Powder (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I would like to know if there is a difference between the different sources of slush powder; and what that difference is.

I'm not talking about what you get a pet stores, diapers, or garden centers, but powder that is sold as slush powder (but maybe labeled differently).

My particular interest is in being able to repeatedly add water to the same teaspoon (or more) of powder.
If you have noticed other differences, I would like to hear about that too.

Thanks;
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
They claim there is or was a Slush powder 1 and then a slush powder 2. They only difference was speed.

If I understand your statement, you want to add water then add more water, in my opinion, that is not possible. It has to be all at once. If you mean, to use the same container a second time, sorry don't know, have not tried it, you would have to experiment. I will say the slush is called slush for a reason, that being, it is not totally a dry solid mass. So it most likely would interact with the 2nd tea spoon, but you would have to test it.

Also a teaspoon is way to much, only a quarter or third a teaspoon will be enough. And it does not work effectively with water any larger then 2 to 4 ounces.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Bill:

I looked back at my instructions, and it said, like you did, 1/4 tsp for 4 oz of water.
I also agree that repeated additions of water to the same slush mix doesn't work well, but that is what I would like to do, and is what I've seen done in a live performance, and seen in Alexander's Midnight Show. Sooo, I was trying, and suggesting larger amounts of slush power, to see what works.

So I was wondering if others had some success with the repeated addition of water to the same mix, or if some powder was better for this.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have had different brands and had the same success.
I use a teaspoon for about six ounces of water and have
never had a problem with it trying to ooze out of the cup.
but for a repeat there must be a different procedure for this.
todd
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Slush powder is SAP, super absorbent polymer. whether you buy it at a magic shop, or get it out of a diaper, it's the same thing. It's shipped in 2,000 pound bags from the manufacturer which is probably in China.

The only possible difference in slush powders would be if some retailer took the SAP and cut it with some other inert powder. Hopefully this hasn't been done and never will be.

Jim
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 17:56, jimhlou wrote:
Slush powder is SAP, super absorbent polymer. whether you buy it at a magic shop, or get it out of a diaper, it's the same thing. It's shipped in 2,000 pound bags from the manufacturer which is probably in China.

The only possible difference in slush powders would be if some retailer took the SAP and cut it with some other inert powder. Hopefully this hasn't been done and never will be.

Jim

I've heard that the powder size may be different.

Quote:
but for a repeat there must be a different procedure for this.
todd

Can you say what that procedure is?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
John I have used slush powder for some years now and bought them from different stores over the years as well. never really noticed one being better then the other.

as for adding more water to the same cup as you just used YES I do it all the time! of course keep in mind that at some point of adding more water that the slush will become too heavy to invert the cup and not fall out.

but you just need to experiment.

I take a standared paper cup about 12 oz and it is full with about 9oz of water. the other cup has slush powder in it.i pour about half the cup of water and then show that it magically disappeared in the other cup(white Styrofoam cup) then I add more water until the water is all gone.

it all comes down to trial and error.
if you need any other advice or have any questions let me know

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks Sam.

I am working on a "water monte" type routine that is a derivative of S Alexander's and Scott Guinn's. So not only do I need to be concerned about the capacity of water that will be absorbed, but how long it will take to be absorbed (the second filling doesn't absorb as quickly.)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
Hi John,

I am also working on a routine based on Alexander's monte, and have had the same problem. It does work to add liquid a 2nd and 3rd time, but as Sam said, it gets to heavy to invert. Looking for the right ratio - seems like it's an initial 2 oz, followed by another 1 or 2 oz, followed by an ounce or less (if you are using Alexander's method, this is about all you can get back in the cup anyway). But still experimenting.

The 2nd filling takes about 20 seconds to absorb.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I use the stuff made by Murph's Magic. See a image here http://www.magicandmore.co.nz/index.php?......h-powder .

A very little sokes up a lot of water and it really bulks up and forms a solid gel in secounds. We use it at the end of show were we shuffle up the cups and then pour one over the teachers head great fun never fails.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Aheem
Use a hollow plastic magic wand to tap the cups and motion .... when you get to the preferred cup, turn ithe wand over (surreptitiously) and dump fresh powder on top of the old. You're magicians, you should be able to hide the action by Feigning the same movements at other times.

No need to thank me, just send money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Slush Powder (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL