The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Booked by Steve Valentine (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3755 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I keep a gimmicked business card in my wallet ready to do this with a borrowed book at any time. My gimmick for a borrowed book has no page number because I don't want them to notice the number and check that page later. Because the focus is purely on the first word nobody has ever noticed the lack of a page number when their book actually has a number in the top corner. When reading books people focus on the words on the page, not the page number and so in the short glimpse they get of the word the page number is not a consideration.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
509 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
I 100% agree with Mark. I carry a gimmick business card in my wallet than has no page number at the top. I have borrowed several books that clearly do and it is not notice. It has never been notice and I am confident it won't. In all honesty why would they?

Killer effect. Love doing it.

Ryan
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
I don't think adding a card makes it more suspicious. Your hands are more distanced from the object making it, in the spectators mind, that you can't be doing anything tricky.
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
I can appreciate that...make the focus about the word not the page. I guess you can save the page number focus for the unborrowed version "The page isn't there anymore" version.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3755 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Talking of the page number, if you wanted to do a hands off book test you could use a booked gimmick to get the page number for the hoy book test and reveal a whole paragraph from an ungimmicked book.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-09-27 14:25, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Talking of the page number, if you wanted to do a hands off book test you could use a booked gimmick to get the page number for the hoy book test and reveal a whole paragraph from an ungimmicked book.

Mark

Can you cite this work further for me please? I'm looking into it.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2013-07-25 13:01, barts185 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 15:03, saysold1 wrote:
I liked too. Enough to order it actually.

But these come off as fast food mentallism at times seeking the end result without any emotional path getting there. With AGT there's probably no time for that because of the format. Hence it feels more like mental magic than mentallism to me.

I think this young man has a super stage presence.

There's definitely no time for it. My understanding, based on seeing it commented on in several places, is that they have 90 seconds. The official site says 90 seconds for the auditions prior to seeing the judges, but I haven't seen anything (haven't looked very hard) which confirms that you also only get 90 seconds in front of the judges. Even if it's not 90 seconds, it's definitely a very limited amount of time.

I can confirm that for the first several rounds all you get is 90seconds. I don't think that restriction lets up until the top 10 or so.
Aberdeen1234
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Aberdeen1234
Well when the performer is the one that has to handle the book while the page is being picked, I don't think you'd want it to last very long. If the spectator can pick the page while the book is in their own hands they could take a long time and it would only add the fair choice.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2529 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
How does this compare to Docc Hilford's Wizards Manuel.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10628 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Better IMO.

You can ue any book - and lot of gimmick flexability too.

No need for a special book.

It is my fave book test bar none.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
617 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Sometimes I read about an effect and am interested and it falls off my radar screen. This was one of them. I got this just last week and have performed it well over 30 times in my regular pub and restaurant gigs and I cant recommend it enough. I answers so many issues with regular book tests. I use a modified version of the hardcore handling where there is no card or bookmark visible. I have also performed it with playing card and business card bookmarks and it seems to make no difference to the impact on spectators whether the bookmarks are used or not.

Sometimes I get to use this when I see someone with their own book and then this thing becomes powerful in the extreme.

I can honestly say this is my best purchase so far this year. So versatile. This will be in my regular rotation and my wallet probably forever. I wish everything I purchased was this useable. My sincere thanks to Steve Valentine for this mentalism gem for sure.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
DigaMag
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
291 Posts

Profile of DigaMag
I'm gonna perform this in my talent's audition in my country... I hope it will be great...
I hope I pass the audition...Smile
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
390 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
I love Booked and this method was what I originally used during the development of my effect 'Infamous'. Infamous is similar in effect and allows for any word on the page to be selected, but the focus on mine was more on apparently justifying how the word came to be selected by the participant.

Steve goes through so many versions on the Booked DVD that it means there is sure to be something you'll like.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10628 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Booked is awesome. I used it at a big corporate show in Tucson last night and as usual it never fails to hit hard.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
617 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, Daniel Meadows wrote:
I love Booked and this method was what I originally used during the development of my effect 'Infamous'. Infamous is similar in effect and allows for any word on the page to be selected, but the focus on mine was more on apparently justifying how the word came to be selected by the participant.

Steve goes through so many versions on the Booked DVD that it means there is sure to be something you'll like.

Cool, I will check out infamous Daniel

MAGIC325
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of MAGIC325
Booked fries spectator, Big Time.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
617 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2014, MAGIC325 wrote:
Booked fries spectator, Big Time.

It really does... the more I do it the better I like it.

makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of makulit974
I love this effect and planning to put it in my parlour act.
I really like the version where the missing page is found in impossible location.

Has anyone found it less deceptive since the book is not borrowed. I was thinking of having a pile of books and use equivoque to force the one I want.
At the end, I find the page in David Regal's crystal box that was in full view since beginning of the show.
What do you guys think?
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4331 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, makulit974 wrote:
I love this effect and planning to put it in my parlour act.
I really like the version where the missing page is found in impossible location.

Has anyone found it less deceptive since the book is not borrowed. I was thinking of having a pile of books and use equivoque to force the one I want.
At the end, I find the page in David Regal's crystal box that was in full view since beginning of the show.
What do you guys think?

I was thinking of having a pile of books and use equivoque to force the one I want.
What do you guys think?

I have not got it yet but I am thinking of getting it because of the missing page effect and your idea sounds pretty good to me.
MAGIC325
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of MAGIC325
Crystal box is a nice touch. I've had great results using my selected book. Having a pile of books might be an incremental bonus, but not essential.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Booked by Steve Valentine (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL