The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » If I have a new effect, how do I "publish" it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi!
I've put together an effect that I haven't seen anywhere else. I get good reactions on it and I think someone else will enjoy/benifit.

I am quite positive that this isn't something I can make money on. It is just a trick/effect that I came up with.
I would love to share the routine, but how should I do it? A post in this forum? Something else?
Should one of the seniors read my write-up first?

All help is greatly appreciated. This is just a humble effort to at least give a fraction back to the community of magic which has given me so much.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Have you considered publishing it in one of the magazines?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
I am far to humble to think of something like that.. But I do believe the effect is good enough for other people to pick up. I did the routine to some members of our Magic Circle in my home country and I managed to put them "of center". But publish it in a magazine? Wouldn't that require me to have a Triumph-like effect?

Thank you for responding by the way. I am sure this is kind of a newbie question.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Unless you are going to market it. The best way would be to send it into one of the Magazines such as Genii, Magic Magazine. The I.B.M's Linking Ring, or SAM's MUM. If you know of someone is writing a book on card magic and wouldn't mind adding a contribution to the book from you that would be an option as well.
SWiCh
View Profile
New user
UK
67 Posts

Profile of SWiCh
You could try submitting it to a site like Dude That's Cool Magic (see: http://www.dudethatscoolmagic.co.uk/acatalog/trick-submit.html), they will help you to develop it - and no, I don't work for them!!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
If you submit it to MUM, as an example, you won't be deciding if it's good enough to publish in its pages. Mike Close, the Editor will make that determination.

I think that the difference between publishing it online or in a magic magazine is that if you go the online route you will be reaching younger magicians and just a few "old fogies" like me. In a Magic magazine you'll probably not be reaching as many younger magicians. Although I admit this is a generalization and like all of them, it's not absolutely true.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all for good advice, but I really do not think this effect is great enough to be published in a magazine. It is just a nice routine I would like other people to enjoy and use.
So there is no culture for sharing effects in this forum?
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Wow! With all this dithering about, maybe you should have posted in "Latest and Greatest"? Or maybe "Tricks/DVDs", under one trick dvd?

Errr, wait, just call the President of the Country. Why? Oh just because, we need more card tricks from new magicians that up untill yesterday weren't even familiar with RRtCM.

Just kidding, of course. Submit you trick to Lorayne; he's never busy and I'd bet he'd tell you what to do with your trick.

~E
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Are you sure it is new?
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Just about to post the same as magicfish.... Make sure it's original first. So many
new people have reinvented the wheel.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I was going to mention the make sure it is new as well. However he did mention that he had shown it around his local magic club meeting. Granted it it isn't a rather large group there may not be anyone or enough members that have the knowledge of if it is new or not.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
May I attract your attention to the fact that you are not OBLIGED to publish every trick that you invent.
You can as well keep it for yourself.

Sometimes I have the impression that I am still the only magician in the world.
All the rest are become dealers and throw their tricks in the open and on the street.

Well-intentioned Smile
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 19:11, Montana76 wrote:
Thank you all for good advice, but I really do not think this effect is great enough to be published in a magazine. It is just a nice routine I would like other people to enjoy and use.
So there is no culture for sharing effects in this forum?

Yes there is. You may describe your effect in the Triple Dare section: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......46&11672
People with thank you and let you know whether it's new, can be improved etc.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-02-15 20:44, donny wrote:
Wow! With all this dithering about, maybe you should have posted in "Latest and Greatest"? Or maybe "Tricks/DVDs", under one trick dvd?

Errr, wait, just call the President of the Country. Why? Oh just because, we need more card tricks from new magicians that up untill yesterday weren't even familiar with RRtCM.

Just kidding, of course. Submit you trick to Lorayne; he's never busy and I'd bet he'd tell you what to do with your trick.

~E

Short and sweet: If you were trying to be humorous, you weren't. If you were attempting satire, you failed miserably. You could have stopped at "just kidding", but adding the Lorayne bit cancels out the kidding. Montana asked a question and humbly at that. Your post was mean spirited but I hope you got your 3 seconds of self aggrandizement. Isn't there a bridge missing its tenant?

Vlad
Tfet
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Tfet
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 09:43, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:

~E

Short and sweet: If you were trying to be humorous, you weren't. If you were attempting satire, you failed miserably. You could have stopped at "just kidding", but adding the Lorayne bit cancels out the kidding. Montana asked a question and humbly at that. Your post was mean spirited but I hope you got your 3 seconds of self aggrandizement. Isn't there a bridge missing its tenant?

Vlad

Seconded. Mean spirited post and not at all what this forum is here for.

Who are you to decide how many cards tricks we need? From someone new or otherwise?
itr
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of itr
What does it take to be able to view the Triple Dare section?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 13:41, itr wrote:
What does it take to be able to view the Triple Dare section?

50 legit posts opens all of the " secret areas "
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Andy Tauber
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver WA
106 Posts

Profile of Andy Tauber
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 09:53, Tfet wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-02-16 09:43, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:

~E

Vlad

Seconded. Mean spirited post and not at all what this forum is here for.

Who are you to decide how many cards tricks we need? From someone new or otherwise?

Thirded (is that legit?)

Who appointed you the magic police. I found your post insulting and totally uncalled for. I for one am glad to see others speak out against such.
Andy Tauber

www.magicalmischief.org

Twitter: @AMagicMischief

“Children see magic because they look for it.”

I used to think I wasn't a morning person, but things never got better after lunch!
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Why not post a video at which point it will most likely be determined if it similar, old or new?
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Advice from a grizzled veteran:

1) Vet your material. I've had things I've done for years only to find them buried in some very obscure sources-- pamphlets from the 1940's, JINX, etc. Find three people who have the best knowledge of magic you can find and use them regularly.

2) Don't publish it until you've worked with it for a number of years-- often people who DON'T do this, later think of better ways to do it and then realize they've published what they now consider an "inferior" version.

3) Document it-- send it via e-mail to three people you've known for a number of years. Then if someone else comes up with the idea or copies it, you have documentation that is dated. Also, don't send it in a PDF with the recipient's name watermarked on it and secured with a password. It will not escape.

4) In general, don't publish a lot of stuff until you've been doing magic for a good number of years. I used to say until after age 35, but now lot's of people are getting in magic later in life.

All of these suggestions are matched to scars I've collected by ignoring them. Please learn from my experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » If I have a new effect, how do I "publish" it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL