The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping for Caribbean crowd (english speaking) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I have a gig coming up for a Caribbean audience. It's table hopping for roughly 30-45 mins with a subsequent stage show (dont comment on this as I will post the stage portion in the stage section of the Café). Its a birthday party of varying ages including kids (birthday is for an older fella). I just got a call from him today and he was asking what type of magic I do. After going over that he asked if I might be able to tailor some tricks to the Caribbean culture or something like that. I know there are some creative, powerful magical minds in the Café and wanted your opinion and/or experience in this matter. I told him I do a variety of magic, mentalism and use money, cards, etc. He was fine with that. Also, Im not sure about the Caribbean culture (Ill have to research it) but Im assuming that since they're looking for a magician that I wont have to worry about the "voodoo" thing (i.e - Houchin incident)./ I want to be careful not to offend anybody which Im sure I won't. I've just never performed for a Caribbean audience before.

I have my usual arsenal that rocks but does anybody know of any "Caribbean-Themed" material I might be able to use as Id like that immediate connection to their culture. Im sure that would impress them greatly (not that I shouldnt already).

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Cups and balls with the final loads being fruits from their region might work
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 14:26, lunatik wrote:
Cups and balls with the final loads being fruits from their region might work

+1 good idea
Or chop cup etc. - magic that won't offend anyone.

How about splash bottle production of a bottle of rum or similar for the Birthday man? I'm sure you could find out from him what he likes via innocent chat prior to the event.

Charlie
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Splash bottle production --->Check
chop cup ---> check

keep em' coming.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Dress up as a pirate.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
In terms of the splash bottle. I'd probably save that as an add on for my 15 -20 min stage act simply because I cant be popping balloons at every table .. would sure hate ot annoy people instead of entertain them.

Whats the best, easiest spalsh bottle/any bottle production on the market?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Maybe a travel theme effect that uses Caribbean cities.

Maybe something with Rum.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 21:04, motown wrote:
Maybe a travel theme effect that uses Caribbean cities.

Maybe something with Rum.

A travel theme effect? Hmm .. you have my cognitive faculties percolating. Could you elaborate? I like the sounds of this.

Jeff
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I've decided Im definitely going to do a bottle production of some caribbean rum. No way I can go wrong with that! What bottle production? Randall's inception is an attrative option so that I could throw in some rope work, etc. that's what Im leaning towards in terms of the rum bit.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's one though on the travel idea:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
– Karl Germain
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 22:54, motown wrote:
Here's a few other ideas:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=8

Many thanks for that motown. Much appreciated.

Jeff
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Your welcome.
– Karl Germain
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Grabbit production - Jon Allen. If I remember, found in Experience (book)and the Penguin lecture.
Splash bottle gimmick - from magic shops
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-02-18 12:51, puggo wrote:
Grabbit production - Jon Allen. If I remember, found in Experience (book)and the Penguin lecture.
Splash bottle gimmick - from magic shops

Splash gimmick seems to be super popular. Im getting this from penguin NOW!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
For Splash bottles Ive heard that I have to wear a huge coat for cover (which Im not that crazy about). Even with this oversized coat Ive heard angles are iffy and you really have to watch out for visuals to the audience. This may be the only thing hindering my decision at the moment.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 21:14, TheMag1cian wrote:
I've decided Im definitely going to do a bottle production of some caribbean rum. No way I can go wrong with that! What bottle production? Randall's inception is an attractive option so that I could throw in some rope work, etc. that's what Im leaning towards in terms of the rum bit.

lol sorry. Inception was what I was leaning towards for my BIL. I am now using Malone's.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I was also thinking perhaps a blendo routine with their flag.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
How about something with cocaine and machine guns?

JK...

I've been down the Carribean quite a bit; love it there. For your stage routine, you might consider producing a live turtle; they'd love it. Bill in coconut. Sands of the Desert (beach sands).
Magic & Mentalism
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Salt pour but theme it with travelling and using sand instead of salt
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping for Caribbean crowd (english speaking) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL