The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Useless Trivia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
If you eat 9 pounds of insects UNKNOWINGLY in your life time, how many pounds do you think you would eat KNOWINGLY? For example, ants are very good especially when covered in chocolate (kind of like a Nestle Crunch bar), and Fried Grasshoppers are terrific. Smile
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
If you string together of the veins, capillaries, and other blood-conveying things in your body, they would wrap around the world 3.5 times.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Useless trivia...

Reportedly, the most used word in the English language worldwide is "Ok"... It is spoken even by non-English speaking people.

Isn't that a contradiction?

Ok... Smile

Ah... forget it...

It's useless anyway...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Nah, the most human deaths by animal attack has to be mosquitoes. Isn't it?

'Cats have 2 sets of vocal cords - one for purring, and one for meowing.' - Women have three then?
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The odds that everybody will die within six months of their birthday is 100%.

Only female mosquitos bite.

Famous silent screen actor/comedian Charlie Chaplin entered himself in a Charlie Chaplin Lookalike Contest and not only lost but never made the finals.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2003-12-11 20:54, Frank Tougas wrote:
The odds that everybody will die within six months of their birthday is 100%

What if you are born in a leap year? Wouldn't it be 100% sure you would die within two years of your birthday?

The paper folding statement piqued my curiosity so I looked it up and found this interesting website.

http://www.osb.net/Pomona/12times.htm

Enjoy Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Quote:
On 2003-11-17 19:45, Chrystal wrote:
In Alaska, it is illegal to look at a moose from the window of an airplane or any other flying object. (We have to make sure aliens know this rule I suppose) Smile

I never heard of that one and I've lived here 20 years. It is illegal to "land and shoot". That is, you can't use a plane to spot a moose and then land and kill it.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
* Starting from zero, the first whole number with the letter "A" in it is ONE THOUSAND.

* Traditionally, it's been said that the longest word with the most consecutive double letters is BOOKKEEPER. Others, however, have proposed SUBBOOKKEEPER, RACCOONNOOKKEEPER, and my personal favorite, FLOODDOORROOMMEETINGGOER.

* MONDAY is the only day of the week that can be anagrammed into another English word - DYNAMO.

* In the 1946 movie "Holiday in Mexico", Fidel Castro appears as an extra.

* The list that everybody calls the "10 commandments" is in Exodus 20, but is never referred to as the "10 commandments" in any Bible passage. The only list referred to as the "10 commandments" in any Bible passage is in Exodus 34, and the list is as follows:

1. Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).
2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.
4. All the first-born are mine.
5. Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.
6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.
8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.
9. The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.

* A duck's quack does echo, but the echo sounds exactly like the original quack.

* In the dictionary, EIGHT is the first number to appear and ZERO is the last.

* The only number with all of its letters in alphabetical order is FORTY.

* The only state capital that shares no letters in common with its state is Pierre, South Dakota.

* The only letter of the alphabet that doesn't occur in the names of any of the 50 U.S. states is the letter Q.

* The only one-syllable U.S state name is MAINE.

* SERIES, SPECIES, CONGERIES, SHAMBLES, KUDOS and PREMISES are all singular words that end in the letter S, yet they're also plural terms, depending on context.

* Harry Truman's middle name is just "S". The "S" doesn't stand for anything.
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
'10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.'

Bummer, I was all set for a seething session with the goats. Oh well.

In the early 1900s while performing on the vaudeville circuit, Houdini worked with a couple named Keaton. Their young son Joseph was intrigued by Houdini's magic, and Houdini was quite taken with the boy. Houdini nicknamed him "Buster." The name stuck, explaining how Buster Keaton, the famous film comedian, got his name.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
The Houdinis were actually staying in the same boarding house as the Keatons shortly after Joseph was born. Mrs. Keaton set the baby down while they were talking, and the baby rocked back and forth, eventually rolling down a short flight of stairs. Houdini remarked, "That baby sure took a buster," and that's where the name came from. (Check the full story in Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic" under "shoes")

I don't know anything about young Buster Keaton becoming enthralled with Houdini's magic, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Thanks again everyone who contributed to this post!

I think I will bring up some of this stuff as topics at parties and hopefully it will induce lively conversations! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Useless Trivia (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL