The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Classic magic table - tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Richard Robinson has a good article on how to build a classic magic side table, using parts available in music shops. What you end up with is better and less expensive than a lot of the "magic tables" you can buy.

It's the type of table with a folding tripod base. Check the article out at:

[outdated link]

He gives you one big hint by telling you what the right flange is: the Atlas AD-11B (chromed version) or the AD-11BE (black version - ebony color). This is easy to turn up on Google; I got one, shipped, for about eight bucks.

The other major part you need is a mike stand...he says that, "...keep in mind that the least expensive stand is probably going to be ideal." He doesn't identify the brand and model of the stand in the photos.

This didn't seem like a big deal, until I went to my local music shops...I couldn't find a mike stand that matched what he had found. I saw much fancier, expensive ones.

After some research, here's the answer: the Quik Lok A-344. See their website at:

[outdated link]

In the left column, click on "Microphone stands" then scroll the left column down and click on "A-344." That'll get you the description.

You can search on Google for one, but I'll save you some time: Go to Sweetwater Music.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A344

I've never done business with Sweetwater before, but they're really nice and have excellent customer service, with very competitive prices. My mike stand, delivered by FedEx Saver, was $32.00.

The A-344 is much better quality than my old Eureka Table base, is less expensive now than the Eureka was back when I got it, and looks better too.

Jeff

P.S. Another Richard Robinson build-it-yourself project, "The X Frame Table" is good, too.
http://allmagic.com/magicshow/stage/xframe.html

Go to Musician's Friend and search on keyboard stands. Right now there's one on sale for $19.95.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I was looking for info on tables and just made a post. I did a search and found this thread. Thanks Jeff. I think you answered part of my question almost 8 months before I posted it. Are you a mentalist by any chance?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I like the Viking tripod because I can carry it in my hip pocket. The price isn't bad, either.

If price is an issue, why not just put a tray on a tray jack and use that as a table?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Alan,
What is the Viking tripod and where do you get it?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Update: Sweetwater success story!

Ok, I took the advice of this thread and ordered the mic stand and atls flange adapter from Sweetwater.

Let me tell you - they have FANTASTIC customer support. I mean, absolutely, some of the best service I've seen in quite some time. They're affordable (My stand was 22 bucks, flange adapter was 7). Since I live in Canada, the shipping was not free, but they even gave me a break on the shipping.

The mic stand and flange fit together nicely. I just now need to screw this into the suitcase I got from Revy (or home depot, or whatever) and see if it all fits. Should fit nicely from what it looks like.

Thanks again.

Alym
Logic Defied
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
You're welcome!

Glad to help the do-it-yourself magicians out there.

Jeff
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
When you're a student, if you can save money ANYWHERE, you gotta take the initiative.

I just wish the flange was a little bigger, but this looks like it'll work just fine.

Alym
Logic Defied
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Classic magic table - tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL