The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Justified (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
So is anyone else watching Justified? One of the best shows on TV in my opinion starring Timothy Olyphant. (You'll remember him as the sheriff in Deadwood.)

I just discovered this show, which just started it's 4th season this year. I bought all 3 seasons on Blu Ray and went through all of them in about a month. Based on a couple of novels and a short story by Elmore Leonard, who I hadn't heard of but will probably try out a few of his books now.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
You may not be familiar with his books or stories, but you're probably familiar with at least one of their film adaptations, including: Get Shorty, Mr. Majestyk (Bronson), Valdez is Coming (Burt Lancaster), 3:10 to Yuma, and Rum Punch (which became Jackie Brown). He's a great writer with a tremendous gift for dialogue. Praised very heavily in Stephe. King's outstanding book "On Writing."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Elmore Leonard is one of the best popular writers in the business.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
One of the most influential ones, too. I imagine that just about any successful crime or suspense writer has been influenced by Leonard, or influenced by someone who was influenced by him.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
He wrote quite a few excellent westerns as well.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm very familiar with Elmore. When I lived in Detroit, I worked with his son, who's a copywriter, at two different ad agencies. Elmore started out as a copywriter at the same agency that his son and I later worked together at, Campbell-Ewald. A great writer and as some have mentioned, many of his books have been turned into movies. Before getting into crime novels, he wrote several westerns.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Getting back to the original question, btw, I watch Justified, too, but not religiously. I like the show, though, and I've always like Olyphant.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-02-20 22:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:
You may not be familiar with his books or stories, but you're probably familiar with at least one of their film adaptations, including: Get Shorty, Mr. Majestyk (Bronson), Valdez is Coming (Burt Lancaster), 3:10 to Yuma, and Rum Punch (which became Jackie Brown). He's a great writer with a tremendous gift for dialogue. Praised very heavily in Stephe. King's outstanding book "On Writing."

On the DVD extras, the writers and the Producers of the show talk about how great his dialog is and how whenever they are trying to figure out where to take the character or what to have him say, they always say to themselves, "What would Elmore do?" They all seemed to pretty much idolize him and want to keep the show as close to the spirit of his writing style as possible.

And yes, I did read that his books were the adapted into those movies. I don't think I've seen Valdez is Coming but have seen and enjoyed all the rest.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I highly recommend Valdez is Coming.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I heard, back when it started, that Justified was a great series. Back then, I always meant to watch it but was always too busy to do so. What I've heard more recently is that the main character morphed over the seasons from a kick ass alpha male to someone now hen pecked and regularly beaten up. Is that description of the main character's evolution true?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I would say no. He does get beat up from time to time, mostly if he's had a bit too much to drink and gets in over his head. There was a period where you might have thought him hen-pecked a bit but that has passed. (I could say more but don't want to give too much away.) He's not a big, big guy so it's not like he's a Sylvester Stallone type bad ass. Just don't try and out-draw him. He's also got good instincts and is really sharp, (except when it comes to women! LOL). As has been pointed out, the dialog is great.

I think my favorite scene was when he was sitting across the table from 'The Pick'. I would have to say my favorite character has been Mags Bennett from season 2.

You can get the entire first season on bluray for about $28 from Amazon. Well worth it.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Season closer was awesome. Showed why you don't mess with Raylon but also showed his someone ambiguous sense of justice. It's gonna be hard waiting for next season.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
So, says the cold reader to Lobo, how's your mystery novel coming along?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-04-05 11:34, rockwall wrote:
Season closer was awesome. Showed why you don't mess with Raylon but also showed his someone ambiguous sense of justice. It's gonna be hard waiting for next season.

I only discovered Justified within the last month and have been getting the dvds from Netflix. We just finished season 2 the first episodes of season three arrive tomorrow. We've been recording this season's episodes so we'll be caught up in short order. Walton Goggins' character, Boyd Crowder is also well acted in my opinion. He and Olyphant play well against each other, at least up till now anyway.

A great series. Cable is doing such a better job of producing interesting television than the three major networks, it's a joke. I for one am sick and tired of every frikkin new reality show that comes along.

Perhaps the topic for another thread, another great new show is The Americans on FX.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Show Finale last night. Great finale, as good as the finale for Breaking Bad in my opinion. Nice wrap-up to everything. Really gonna miss that show. Guess I'll have to watch it again from Season 1 on through.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I'm downloading the last episode now. It waned a bit after season 1 but it was still worth watching.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Justified shot on the stage next door to us and for two weeks we saw Walton Goggins wandering around in a hospital gown and smoking like a chimney.
Some of our writers were upset as they watched the show and that gave away story for them.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I'm downloading the last episode now. It waned a bit after season 1 but it was still worth watching.

I thought season 2 was great. Mags was a terrific character.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I loved Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood - in fact, I loved everyone in Deadwood.

A friend sat next to Olyphant on a flight when she was in the States a few years ago and said he was the nicest guy - couldn't stop taking about his wife and kids.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2013, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Getting back to the original question, btw, I watch Justified, too, but not religiously.

A New Atheist?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Justified (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL