The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it so wrong to want to have Max Maven's love child? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
In all seriousness, where in the name of all that's holy do you guys (because he is NOT the only mage I have seen or encountered that does it) get your exhaustive knowledge of the particular publishing lineage of works? I do good to remember what day of the week it is, so this particular little peculiar idiosyncrasy sticks out like a very sore thumb and impresses me when I encounter it. Is there some Hall of Official Records somewhere you guys tap into? It is mysterious, and if I may say so, rather bizarre!
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Max is the king!
er..... but I can think of one problem that would stop you having his love child!

;-)
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
Well that makes about three problems with that issue, but that's not the point - the point is the incredible amount of knowledge stored in the skull. Randi, Ricky Jay, Max Maven...I've never heard Teller, but I've seen some of the things he's written and I'm pretty sure his knowledge is probably in the same league. It's just astounding. You can't walk up to any random person in any other profession and get such a detailed lineage of knowledge, unless maybe mathematicians or physicists types I think.
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
You are right. Each one a walking library. How much would you pay for Maven's brain in a jar and connected by wire to your pc?
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3773 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I am amazed at people who can focus on one thing to the point of becoming real certified experts. I would personally find it boring after a while because my type is to know something about almost everything which means I have never put all my effort into one line of knowledge. I suspect there are many who thirst for diverse knowledge or may be too unmotivated to focus on a single subject to excell in any. The genius of people like Max Maven is necessarily coupled to the ability to seek one specialty and those abilities are rare. I'd be glad to have his love child so, if any of you do, give it to me; however I prefer baked - not fried.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
@weepinwill That's a different flavor of amazement here as well - those who know something about almost everything. Equally impressive, just not what I was thinking of at the moment I posted this. But, who impresses you and why? Not necessarily in magic, either.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3773 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I think if I had to choose one group of people that amaze me the most it is dying people because as inexperienced as they are they all do it so well. Plus they do it perfectly because they only have to do it once.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
People who want to commit suicide might have to have a second go at it.

I'm known for my extensive knowledge on movies... I love to read imdb.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3773 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2013-02-22 16:24, cirrus wrote:
People who want to commit suicide might have to have a second go at it.

I'm known for my extensive knowledge on movies... I love to read imdb.

Some people fail at anything, even dying.
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
If at first you don't succeed...

This turned dark quick, didn't it?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4999 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm always amazed by folks who speak off the cuff so fluidly that you would swear they were reading off of a script. The documentary film director Ken Burns never fails to blow me away with his mastery of not only his craft, but also the English language. Watching and listening to him being interviewed is like experiencing a great movie in and of itself.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Not a guy here...but I think we just know the real classics if we are serious about our field. Peer pressure keeps us reading the good stuff. Magic is a very specialized field. Mentalism is another field within the realm of magic that is also specialized. We magi spend hours poring over these texts and practicing many (if not all) of the effects listed within. The material becomes particularly ingrained. HeatherV, I have done much more reading in the field of magic, illusion, theater, and mentalism than I ever did for my honors undergrad and Master's.
Best,
Autumn
PS: You will learn much hanging around us here on The Café. However, my prediction is this: While you may meet and spend lots of time around Max, you will not ever have his love child. Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
@Autumn I concur with your prediction, albeit not based upon any issue touching the life of Mr. Maven. Children in my future are not in the cards. :0
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3773 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2013-02-22 22:21, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Not a guy here...but I think we just know the real classics if we are serious about our field. Peer pressure keeps us reading the good stuff. Magic is a very specialized field. Mentalism is another field within the realm of magic that is also specialized. We magi spend hours poring over these texts and practicing many (if not all) of the effects listed within. The material becomes particularly ingrained. HeatherV, I have done much more reading in the field of magic, illusion, theater, and mentalism than I ever did for my honors undergrad and Master's.
Best,
Autumn
PS: You will learn much hanging around us here on The Café. However, my prediction is this: While you may meet and spend lots of time around Max, you will not ever have his love child. Smile

But Phil Goldstein might be a possibility.....
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10772 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
You should not seek a llovechild of the physical - do the hard work of learning through reading and experience and you will get his metaphysical llovechild along with others who share their works - often out of love for the field.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
As I told someone else privately, it was just a pithy way to title the thread. @Dr Spektor you've summed up something quite profound, and as a result I won't make light of it.

I will say, however, that from this point of view, you all are corrupting me. I started out wanting to do readings, and I'm through 13 Steps and some of Annemann. I've bought stuff from a few folks here, and I'm currently contemplating hacking up my recipe box to make a Devil's Device, and have the makings for an OM box. Yeah...y'all's rubbin' off some. I won't claim *any* proficiency in the switches, but I have a mean PATEO goin' here.

Lovin' it.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4999 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
HeatherV, you'll quickly discover that this is the best forum on the Café. The people are the coolest and the magic is the best.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
HeatherV, I love these boards for all of the great recommendations. I don't live near a magic shop, and so this is kind of my de facto place to hang out and eavesdrop on the conversation. I'm also a reader, and a lover of history, and there's nothing more arcane and mysterious than magic history. It's a rabbit hole down which you can quickly disappear. But it's all so fascinating. But now you've got ME curious as to what a devil's device is, so I'm going to research it...
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1253 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Cool beans, thanks for the linkage. Very interesting. More homework for me, it would seem!
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it so wrong to want to have Max Maven's love child? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL