The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it so wrong to want to have Max Maven's love child? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
FWIW, the Osterlind version is nice, and would fit in almost any single-sitter setting, well worth consideration! If I've heard correctly, his Annemann series gives a demo of it - and I always learn something from his videos.

I think, though, that for me it's gonna be hacking up a recipe box, then doing my craft-o-matic magic to put the Carny Tarot devil card on the front of mine. Martha Stewart I am not, but oh yeah that'd be creepy.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 12:24, Seth speaks wrote:
Since it was brought up...

http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/inde......ts_id=67

Not fishing, but does this relate to Beckers Chernobyl Box (which I've unsatisfactorally played with many times over the years)? And on the topic of the love-child... the older and more esoteric I get, the more I refer to Beckers work. Becker is brilliant, but to old to seduce... Smile
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
I just went back to Anneman and looked up the box and it's so simple, it's stupidly brilliant. heatherV, I like your DIY idea. I think I'll try my own version with maybe a monkey's paw (gaffed, of course) instead of the crystal ball. Oh, and I lost an hour re-reading Anneman. That guy had one of the most fertile minds in the history of magic.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Unfortunately, the experiment involving feeding trained planeria to untrained ones (to enhance their learning ability) has been disproved; it is not effective. Thus, eating Mr. Maven's brain will not improve your abilities in the field of mentalism.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Perhaps a chemical transference, then, like Osmosis? Look, there's got to be SOME way...
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
@Lucien it's not the same as the Becker box. As I read Becker, he's got mylar and mirrors going on to show a flat die face at a higher level in the box - no. This is just a simple deception, but really sort of elementary and brilliant and lovely.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
What Annemann has the box in it if I may ask? I am actually building 7 boxes right now and think it would be fun to gimmick one up...
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
It's in Practical, Michael. Wanna do an extra?
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Nicely done, Heather. Nicely done. Ninja esque, even.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7129 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-02-22 05:44, HeatherV wrote:
...the incredible amount of knowledge stored in the skull. Randi, Ricky Jay, Max Maven...I've never heard Teller, but I've seen some of the things he's written and I'm pretty sure his knowledge is probably in the same league. It's just astounding.

Keep your eyes on Steve Fearson! ~Chuckle~! Can't say more than that! Smile

Doug
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Thanks for the tip heather, let me see what it entails lol
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Quote:
On 2013-02-24 02:08, HeatherV wrote:
@Lucien it's not the same as the Becker box. As I read Becker, he's got mylar and mirrors going on to show a flat die face at a higher level in the box - no. This is just a simple deception, but really sort of elementary and brilliant and lovely.

Re-read my Annemann. Curious to give it a try... I can think up some nice motivations for putting the billet in the box! I still think about modifying the Chernobyl box for reading a face down billet.
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
@MarkFinn Thank you, thank you...here all week. *bow* Glad you appreciated the subtlety. *SNORT*

@Michael Naked's fine on mine - I can paint/stain/decorate just fine. Carpentry, not so much.

@Lucien "...and now, dear client, we will ask The Devil your question...." I'm going straight to hell in a handbasket.
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
HeatherV, be sure to keep us in the loop regarding your DIY Devil Device.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
And to swing this topic back to HeatherV's original question, here's something you may not know about:

http://conjuringarts.org/

There's a lot to click on over there, but you want to definitely check out the library, the journal that they publish, and their other books. If you already know about this, then my apologies. But I find magic history fascinating as hell, and these guys know how to write about it and make it come alive. Steinmeyer, too. All of his books need to be on your bookshelf, like, immediately if not sooner.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
@MarkFinn Am I missing something, or do you have to be a member to utilize their materials? Annual (lowest) is $95, of which they are certainly worthy...but budget-wise I cannot do that.
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
The Ask Alexander thing is, yes, a paid subscription. That gets you a certain number of lookups per year. But less about the subscription is their (pricey) journal. Especially the all in one bundle. That's what I've got my eye on. Yes, sir...now...how does one rob a bank?

Less expensive, Heather, is checking out back issues of Magic and Genii magazine. There's a LOT of magic history articles and essays in those magazines, and you can even go digital with Genii and cut down on your paper costs. I did a keyword search at the Magic Magazine website and found some cool articles on certain subjects I was researching at the time.

Steinmeyer's books, however, are all on Amazon and elsewhere, and they won't break the bank. Hiding the Elephant is just wonderful stuff, as is The Glorious Deception.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
HeatherV
View Profile
Regular user
Music City
185 Posts

Profile of HeatherV
But they do have some hella cards there. The Erdnase Bee ones I read the article on...fascinating. I thank gods daily I am not a card person from childhood; the temptation to do very bad things would overcome me.
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
I have to stop myself every time someone drops a cool new deck into the marketplace. I'm full up with decks I'll NEVER do tricks with, because they "look cool." This madness must come to an end.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is it so wrong to want to have Max Maven's love child? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL